Notices

Here I go again

Old 07-06-2011, 06:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here I go again

Spent 6 months sober and thought I could ease back into drinking a little at a time. Long story short I'm back in the same boat but now with my family mad at me. I've haven't drank in two days and am feeling quite alone and nervous. I don't want to drink anymore but forever seems like "forever". I know I need to quit but don't have the time to get help. I work 10-12 hrs a day six days a week. Any advise would be helpful.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

What were you doing when you managed to get six months sober? Can you do that again, but leave out the part where you think you can ease back into drinking?
Old 07-06-2011, 06:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

mftrader,
That idea of "easing back" probably gets everyone of us. You're def. not alone.

I ended up spending my "drinking time" here at SR and going to AA. Seemed like a good trade-off. You've obviously got a great work ethic.

......working on your recovery will come natural
Old 07-06-2011, 06:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Well your here at SR and I see you have made SR a part of your recovery plan in the past. Seeking and giving support to others here can help you make the changes you need to do.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Basically as my daughter put it I was white knuckling it. I went to a few AA meetings at first but that just didn't work out for me. It was basically an hour of listening to people complain about their lives. It was a downer for me seeing that it never gets any easier.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back...

Wow! my AA expereince has opened up a fantastic way to live sober and enjoy it...
Old 07-06-2011, 06:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I guess AA depends on how you look at it. When I hear stories it is a constant sobering reminder of how I DON'T want to be. I remember the 'old days' when I couldn't get past thinking there was no life on the 'other side'. Boy, was I wrong...I am living life and then some. Just so happy, so content, so even. No tailspins, no tornados, no whirlwinds in my life or in my head. Gawd, but it feels good to wake up sober and lay my head down sober and know I led a productive day -sober.
Hopefully, you can get back to where you were -sober. Try again.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't want to drink anymore but forever seems like "forever".

You are right, forever is "forever". But you don't need to quit forever, just don't drink today. And tomorrow when you wake up, it will be a new"today" and again, just don't drink today. Take your sobriety in 24 hour chunks of time, it's the only way to do it.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Trader

I put a lot of time into my drinking, so I put a lot of time into my recovery too.

Whatever you do - there's a lot of options, whether it's real life like AA, or counselling etc, or some of the online options like AA, SMART etc....or simply SR....I'd work it hard.

For me working on my recovery is not optional - if I don't have a strong recovery I risk losing everything else too.

D
Old 07-06-2011, 07:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by mftrader View Post

... I went to a few AA meetings at first but that just didn't work out for me. It was basically an hour of listening to people complain about their lives. It was a downer for me seeing that it never gets any easier.
Don't judge AA based on a single meeting. I myself had to try about 10 of em before I found one I liked.

As far as it not getting easier. I found that it was action, rather than calander days, that made it comfortable being sober.

P.S. Are you related to Day Trader? LOL!
Old 07-06-2011, 07:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I wish I would have never started back. Now it is much harder to find time to get to meetings or counseling due to my work schedule. I guess I will have to hang out on SR and hope for the best.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Made it through the night. Went to bed early. But now I feel like I need more rest. I know I'm going to be working late tonight but just don't feel enough energy to make it through the day.