Notices

Back Again But Not In A Skirt.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back Again But Not In A Skirt.

Back again and glad to be back.

Just rereading my old posts here and it seems I've lost my way since I made the pledge to stop drinking.

Since I've been here my dad has passed on which in some ways is a relief (bad to see him in pain) but in most ways is ****.

I no longer have his illness as an excuse for continuing to drink - so now that things are back to semi normal I've decided to try to build my resources with the SMART program.

The longest period of sobriety I've had since February is 14 days which I broke last week after a trip across for a race meet.

As I was drinking I realized inside that I really wasn't enjoying the taste or the experience of being in a bar. In fact I stood for 5 minutes in the street on my way to another bar and just felt 'I really don't want to do this anymore.'

But I went to a bar, ordered a beer and really struggled to drink it. In fact I managed about 3 gulps before having to go to the restroom.

I tried the same at the airport on the way home and I got 3 gulps in.

Urgh.

It felt like a mental breakdown at the time but maybe it was the start of a breakthrough.

At the minute I have no real friends out of work which to me is a good thing as I can start afresh. I have no social obligations that way.

I can meet the friends I do have for other reasons than to drink.

So I dunno, I thought I'd check in again here and keep coming as much this time.

I've been re-reading Allen Carr's Easy Way To Control Alcohol and it's speaking to me more this time. The words are the same but I've changed a bit.

I'd appreciate if people could guide me towards secular books on alcoholism or addiction that have helped them.

Alcohol seems to have a really insidious way of getting back into your thinking.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome back.

I see you are looking for secular approaches to sobriety. I encourage you to read and post in our secular forum as you might find some answers there are well.

I wish you the best.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Elvis

I found Allen Carr was useful to me. Apart from that, our secular connections forum has a lot of reading suggestions, and like minded folk too

Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 07-06-2011, 07:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Hey elvis, I remember you. I'm sorry to hear about your dad's passing. There are lots of us secular folks here. Key to me was accepting that my biology means I can't drink. Welcome back!
Old 07-06-2011, 08:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome back
Old 07-06-2011, 08:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome back and I'm sorry to hear about your Dad.
Drinking is an exhausting lifestyle and I'm glad to hear you're tired of it.