Notices

First night

Old 07-05-2011, 09:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First night

So today will be my first night that I will not be drinking. Not sure how it is going to go but I am already anxious and feel a bit jittery. I threw out my alcohol so I would not be tempted. I am very scared of the withdrawals. What should I be worried about. Should I stick it out or see my doctor?
Old 07-05-2011, 09:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

detoxing can be dangerous. I would recommend speaking to your physician if you are concerned you might go through it.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by sark View Post
So today will be my first night that I will not be drinking. Not sure how it is going to go but I am already anxious and feel a bit jittery. I threw out my alcohol so I would not be tempted. I am very scared of the withdrawals. What should I be worried about. Should I stick it out or see my doctor?
Ideally, a tapered medical detox is the easiest and safest, but at the very least, you may want to have someone stay with you in case things go south. They should have some alcohol with them in case they do.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Although alcoholism is not necessarily dependent upon the volume you consume, I think withdrawal experiences are. I was hooked on a couple of bottles of wine a night and could not break that cycle. For me it was as nightmarish as if I was consuming a couple of bottles of spirits. However although I experienced withdrawal symptoms they were not severe.

If you have been consuming large amounts of spirits I would seek medical help, however if your consumption was more akin to mine you may well be fine. I didn't seek help, though a valium or two might have been welcome that first three or four days!

Good luck!

Originally Posted by sark View Post
Old 07-06-2011, 04:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would advise seeking medical help. One of the problems you might encounter is seizures. If you have a seizure you are not in a position to drive yourself to ER.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

How are you doing today Sark?
Old 07-06-2011, 07:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well last night was rough. Did not sleep well. I sweat slot of the night. I was hot but cold at the same time. Almost like I was coming down with the flu. This morning my head hurts and I still feel chilly.

I am feel good that I did not pick up a drink last night. I wanted one so bad but I did it! No well see how today goes.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I remember the hot/cold spells clearly, I would be wrapped in a blanket but have an ice pack on my head.....not fun at all. Stay strong, drink lots of water and if you need to go to the hospital. You can do this!
Old 07-06-2011, 08:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
cb1

good job sark!!
Old 07-06-2011, 08:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good for you! Take it easy and eat well. Eat whatever you want today and tomorrow then start shifting to think about your diet. You can obviously do this. Congratulations.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Hang in there, Sark. Those thought of drinking can seem overwhelming. Just understand that you've rewired your brain to "need" alcohol. Now the brain (the addictive voice) is telling you to give it some.

Don't.

The only way to get through this is to get through it...without drinking.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the replies. I ended up going to the doctors and got prescribed something to help me get through this for a few days. Day two today.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good choice, sark. Detoxing isn't fun. I remember the cold sweats, sleepless nights, shaking hands and dizzy spells all too well. Not to worry, it'll get better after a few days!
Old 07-06-2011, 02:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Glad you got some help for yourself Sark, I hope the meds the doctor prescribed are helping. Let us know how things are going? One day at a time, keep up the good work!
Old 07-06-2011, 07:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

good move Sark. Congrats on day 2.

D
Old 07-06-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

to SR and congrats on your sobriety.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Congrats glad to hear you saw the doc, those meds will help and keep you safe, myself I have wound up in the ICU from detox, and my last one I went to the ER

Glad your here look foward to your posts.

Myself I have 16 days
Old 07-07-2011, 12:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good going Sark! If mild flu is the worst of it - then its a breeze right!?

Eight days here and feeling a whole lot better. In fact feeling pretty darn good!