Notices

Day 3

Old 07-05-2011, 12:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3

Hey -
I joined AA three days ago, and this is the longest i've been without a drink since the death of my son, one year ago.
Before that, i was what you'd call in the the "functional alcoholic" stage, for many years. Usual reasons - let's just call it "family tradition".
I'm finding today to be difficult. It seems like booze is foremost in my mind at all times, like some kind of blood-sucking tick. I've been and will continue to go to meetings daily; i'm lucky (weird choice of word, but i got nothin' better) in that two of my friends are in recovery - one has been for about 6 years now - the other, only four months. We plan "meeting dates" and go together.

I tried, with limited success, to quit in the past...sometimes for months. The longest i went without a drink was, ironically, for 3 and a half months...just before my son died. Then, i didn't "slide" down into hardcore alcoholism so much as shoot with rocket-propulsion.
I finally found the desire to really quit after a failed (obviously) suicide attempt (i was drunk, very drunk, of course).

When i sobered up and recovered, i drank like there was truly no tomorrow for about a week - then finally hit what i suppose would be my "rock bottom".
So, here i am.
Three days and counting.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

I am so sorry for your loss. I can't even begin to imagine how painful that must be.

Hang around with us; this gets better with some time.

Much love.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey V

What a terrible experience the past year must have been for you. My heart and condolances go out to you.

But three days sober is a great start to making things better. You will find a lot of support here so keep coming back letting us know how your doing. Come back when you're weak, come back when you're strong. Just keep coming back and push that bottle away.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you both very much. I'm on day 4 now...and today i didn't drink.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

How tragic it must be to lose a child..I too am sorry...

It's really good to have supportive sober friends.....and adding SR to your support system is also a super idea Welcome..
Old 07-06-2011, 12:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Very sorry to hear about your son. I had a similar situation. I had been drinking daily, though not all day, for years. Then, due to a loss, my consumption level went through the roof, and I was basically hammered 24/7 for almost two years.

You may have cravings for a while - few months for me. It's tough, but you can do it. It takes about four days after chronic consumption for the alcohol to flush out, and the body will begin to heal. After four days, though, you may really start to feel like you need it.

Hang in there. As for AA, just be aware that there are different types of meetings. Some are more focused on the 12-Steps and the Big Book than others. I would recommend the women's meetings at first.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss, Vi0let, but I'm glad you're here

Welcome

D
Old 07-06-2011, 08:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Very sorry to hear about your son..
you will have lot of support here..