Notices

My day 2!

Old 07-05-2011, 09:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Eyes Open, No Fear

My day 2!

Hi all, have to say not really happy to be here but I believe it is where I need to be right now. Day 2 of no drinking (again.) I am feeling very determined and hopeful this time. I have been drinking (6 - 10 or more beers) at least 5 nights a week for the past ten years. I have realized, lately, that I am not even enjoying it anymore. It's like I am trying to recapture the feelings that drinking used to give me - being young, carefree, a bit reckless. Lately though it doesn't feel good anymore, with the exception of the happy/oblivious feeling that lasts for maybe an hour or so of drinking before the "uh oh, too much, again" feeling sets in. I am tired of:

1. Drinking too much and passing out early and missing my entire evening
2. Being a poor influence on my children
3. gaining weight!
4. having less romantic time with my husband (see number 1! lol)

many more but I'll leave it at those for now.

Unfortunately, my hubby drinks as much if not more than I and we both have since we met. I am determined to proceed with my plan for sobriety with or without his support. And he is being supportive. But I worry about the impact on our relationship of my not drinking with his continued drinking. I figure if nothing else maybe I will be a good influence on him.

Whew, exhausted now, already. But I will be back.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to Sober Recovery, I'm glad you found us.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Glad you are here.

From personal experience, I can tell you that it can be very difficult to maintain a relationship when one of you quits drinking and the other continues on as in the past. The dymanics will change, there is no question about it.

Hopefully in your case, you will be a positive influence on your husband and your relationship will improve!

Good luck, and stay strong!
Old 07-05-2011, 10:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Eyes Open, No Fear

Yes, GettingStronger2, this is probably my worst fear (sabotage?) about quitting. Once before, I quit for a year and while he said he would as well, he really only quit in my presence. Those times were awful. Then, during each of my pregnancies when of course I did quit for a year each time again, things were fine. he continued drinking but much less and I didn't miss it at all. All I can do is press on and hope things do improve.