Notices

Just joined, 25 years old. need to give up the poison

Old 07-05-2011, 07:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just joined, 25 years old. need to give up the poison

Hi all, well this has been a long time coming.

I'm a 25 year old guy, from Scotland. Been drinking since I was about 17. Strictly a binge drinker I would class myself. Never really drink during the week but come the weekend I was 2 or 3 nights out absolutely smashed.

Kept this up for a few yers, including holidays to ibiza etc. (14 days of non stop drinking). The last few years I calmed down a bit, going out maybe once a week, however, still spending about £60 to £100 each night out and drinking till the point of blackout.

I just cant be bothered with it anymore, the 2 day long hangovers fade and even after that i'm finding myself depressed right into the middle of the week, low mood, no energy or motivation to do anything. Recently i've found myself eating junk food the few days after a night out to make myself feel better, which i feel is becoming a problem on it's own.

anyway, a google search brought me here, and here I am. Don't know where to start, i'm not physically addicted, just mentally. I would like to cut back significantly on my drinking and partying lifestyle, get a gf, full time job (part time just now just graduated) and get my body and health sorted out.

I feel life has lost its spark, i have little interest in anything if it doesnt involve drinking, i just find it tedious and boring otherwise, please say this isn't what life without alcohol is going to be like?

any advice on how to start my road to recovery would be much appreicated. thank you all.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! . I'm 53 days into this sober life so I'm in no way going to give you advice. For me it's been interesting because I've spent so much of my life drinking. I do wonder if I'll ever get excited about anything ever again - I see normal people do it all the time. One thing I have to say is I feel physically a lot better. At this point my expectations for some radical changes other than physical are being put off as I said with so many years of drinking I can't expect things to change over night.

It's great that you are here! There is a lot to read so I'd start there.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi!!

I think lots of people our sort of age (I'm 21) see the binge-drinking culture as normal. It's difficult as well because especially when you're at uni, so much of the social life revolves around going out and getting as drunk as possible, for as cheaply as possible. I remember a friend of mine showed up to college with a massive bruise, I think she passed out in the shower because she was so hungover. She then said something along the lines of "It's not a good night unless you've got bruises and can't remember what you did!". Half-jokingly but still... Bit worrying that no-one really bats an eyelid when people say things like that.

I think lots of it is to do with the people you spend the most time with.
What are your friends like? Are there any ways you could spend time with your friends and not have it involve drinking? Do you have any hobbies or sports that you're into?

If you're not feeling like crap all the time, you'll be amazed at how much time you have free to do other things. I remember a thread somewhere (either on this website or somewhere else) where someone asked the question "But what do sober people do?!" and someone gave a really good answer. If I can find it I'll quote it here
Old 07-05-2011, 08:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Programmaddict

Red face

Originally Posted by 1undone View Post
I'm 53 days into this sober life so I'm in no way going to give you advice.
Even if I had 100 years of sobriety I would try to refrain from advice giving. I'm more than happy to let you know what has been working for me in the event that you ask.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I wish that I had the same feelings at 25. Life sure would have been different.

Hang onto that feeling like a drowning man hangs onto a life-ring.

Zube
Old 07-05-2011, 08:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome....

Depression is why I decided to quit drinking...as you mentioned ..mine was caused by alcohol
I then joined a local AA group of mostly singles ...I wanted new friends who shared my same goal of living sober..

Last edited by CarolD; 07-05-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sounds pretty much exactly like my story. I will be 25 in December. My advice is to:

1) Distance yourself from or completely remove the people from your life who encourage you to drink/use

2) Read self help books/listen to audio books

3) Eat healthy

4) Exercise

5) Post here and learn!
Old 07-05-2011, 10:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR