Notices

Class of July 2011

Old 07-04-2011, 08:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Class of July 2011

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to start this thread so I hope it's o.k., Mods!

I figured if I started the class thread I'd be more determined to say goodbye to alcohol.

Independence Day here in the U.S.A. What a great day to begin my non-drinking life! I will get this.

Anyone else ready to join the class of July?
Old 07-04-2011, 10:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes & thanks. I'm setting a quit date for the 10th, with a 30 day sober goal. Got some events between now & then, I'm not ready to abstain completely for. I have given up nightly at home drinking since last week. I'm well aware that people without a drinking problem do not 'plan' their drinking events. But, hey, baby steps are better than none I hope.
Happy 4th!!
Old 07-04-2011, 11:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Day 1 (yet again) for me as well. This time I'm actually going to discuss it with my doctor. I find around day 3 depression sets in or perhaps it's been there all along and becomes evident without the alcohol. Either way I need help with it. Warm wishes everyone!
Old 07-04-2011, 04:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm in! I've been sober for 7 days now so I'm on the week two. I hope thats ok!
I've done really well this weekend I haven't had one drink. I've even declined alcohol when with family and it is becoming easier. I've also let my parents know I've quit and most of my friend know so I don't think I'll be tempted to drink as everyone respects my decision. I'm also hoping to lose some weight! Although I've been eating cake....hopefully once I've got my diet down and continue to not drink I should be in good shape Good luck class of July 2011!!!!!
Old 07-04-2011, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Hi there,

Just dropped in to wish you as smooth a path to recovery as possible.

Today is my 365th day without drinking. It really is possible, and you can do it too!
Old 07-04-2011, 05:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you, Murray! I have tried to quit several times now but I am hopeful this will be my last attempt. Congrats to you on 1 year! That's great!

cyhmn, good job getting through the weekend.

Welcome ceneri and Elphaba! May we all succeed in our sobriety!

Elphaba, today is day one again for me too. I have tried to quit for a few months and ended up giving in thinking I could keep my wine habit to the weekends. Of course, we all know that NEVER works for someone who has a problem!

Today was a perfectly beautiful day in the midwest! So thankful for days like these. We are off to watch the fireworks.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No wine on the 4th of July! It was a wonderful holiday with the family.

I am finally understanding how I can't entertain the thoughts to drink even for a moment.

I feel great this morning and I'm looking forward to many more mornings free from red eyes, swollen hands, headache, and all those other glorious things that follow an evening of alcohol!
Old 07-05-2011, 09:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sarah--I too just had an alcohol free 4th. I was amazed at how much fun I had. I was amazed at laughing till I cried, being silly.

BTW, isn't it fun to be silly sober? When you do something silly sober you know it's funny and silly and not just some drunken antic.

People have go home and say, "That Missy, what was such a hoot today," rather than, "Did you see how drunk Missy got? She totally burned her marshmallow. Honestly." Now it's, "Weird. Missy liked burnt marshmallows."

When I was drinking I did a lot of stupid things. I really meant some of them. But being drunk impeached all of my actions. Now my actions matter. Feeding my hot dog to the dog, walking out of the kitchen 3/4 of the way through so my daughters could finish and I could rest, falling asleep on the lawn, falling on the baseball field. All of these actions are mine. They express my experience and where I'm at. They add up to me. They are authentic. And my children know they are me and not the alcohol.

Fascinating. No one has talked about sobriety and authenticity.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Count me in Sarah!

I'm on Day 1 again=( I did 10 days before that (my first sober weekend in a long time). Then the Holiday weekend came and I messed up.

I'll keep posting and check in with you all! Good luck all
Old 07-05-2011, 10:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

woohoo! It's great to read the posts about making it through the 4th of July sober!!! Congrats to everyone that is truly a great thing!

Yesterday I had to go to the liquor store to get a present for a co-worker for their birthday and the funny thing is I didn't even THINK about getting anything for myself. I didn't realize it until today that I actually went in and had no urge to buy myself anything. It feels really great! For some reason I felt like I was powerless against any temptation but getting through this long weekend and even going to the liquor store and not purchasing anything has given me new found confidence in myself and it feels great I'm on to day 9! Thank you everyone for your support I love this site!
Old 07-05-2011, 10:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Missy, I love your posts. I can see your passion for life shine through them. I hope you're doing well this week and I look forward to hearing more good things from you!

Welcome, Reed! So glad to have another classmate. Best wishes in the days ahead.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

I figured someone already started a July thread! Count me in - Day 1 for me again also. I still have a foot in with the Class of October - they've pulled me through some tough times and stayed with me for the duration of my fall (that was really a jump not a fall), but it's only right for me to start posting here also. How's that for a run-on sentence
Anyway.... I quit for almost 8 months and flew off the wagon right into the black hole of alcohol once again. I never really grasped the whole "I can NEVER have a drink" thing. I got it now. NEVER.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm in. New here, too! Had a sober 4th as well, it was my second day.

I like Missy's post, too. Authentic was what i USED to think i became when i was drinking.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm in from June. I had a good 10+ dayish stretch in the beginning of June, then ****** it up. Then another 10+ dayish stretch. Then ****** it up on June 30th. I'm not going to screw up this time because July 1st is such a tidy date for me to start. I have memory problems from various things and I always lose count. It'll be harder for me to lose count when it's the 1st.

Ha Missy I know exactly what you mean with the silly sober. My husband has some crazy videos of me going on drunken rants with people laughing in the background. But the other day I got all pissed off about something on True Blood and went on one of those rants. He was laughing the entire time. After I was all like "hey I'm just as cool sober as I am trashed" Total ego boost.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Count me in. I am all too tired of what this poison is doing to me. I have had many failed attempts, hoping July will be the month for me. I want to be a healthier, happier more productive person. Already formulating a plan on the things which need to change. Best wishes to everyone.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yeah, Violet, I know what you mean. I used to think I drank to become myself. But it turns out that isn't true. I drank for lots of reasons but obviously I'm more me sober than drunk--it just has to be. Especially considering that different types of alcohol cause different "me"s to happen. Intriguing.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi All Just wanted to stop in to wish you all the best. Stay strong!

Really4Real - I like your statement about finally getting the real meaning of 'Never'. It's as though it flips on like a switch. Light dawns on Marblehead and all that. That's how it hit for me. I'm only beginning month two, but the truth of my problem is so undeniable now, I can't imagine ever questioning it again
Old 07-05-2011, 07:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sign me up.

I know we can do this!
Old 07-05-2011, 08:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome, Krang,

We can do this!
Old 07-05-2011, 08:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm in too. I'm on Day 2, but I'm in a time zone almost a full day ahead of the States. So I can't say I had a dry 4th of July in my time zone (but I did in yours ;-).

My last drinks, ironically enough, were as part of a fancy wine-tasting that my partner was invited to. Basically they got a bunch of people in a room, and plied us with a series of (full) glasses of different wines and gave us teeny tiny canapes (we thought it was going to be dinner) over three hours.

Afterwards, my partner and I discussed how irresponsible it seemed, despite the veneer of civility and elegance. It would be so easy for anyone participating in the event to be over the legal limit to drive, even if they only had a few sips from each glass.

Anyway, enough ranting about society's endorsement of a legal poison ;-)

Good work so far everyone, and see you all here tomorrow!