Notices

Self Image?

Old 07-02-2011, 01:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Self Image?

I am finding that my self-image is AWFUL right now. I can barely stand to pass in front of a mirror. I look old, and ugly, and fat. Although I'm not eating more since I stopped drinking and in fact I have to be consuming a lot less calories without all the G&Ts, I have gained weight (WTF?) and just feel like I look TERRIBLE. What's going on?
Old 07-02-2011, 02:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Daisy! I am sure you look great = ) recovery is a lot to go through physically, emotionally, mentally, etc. You are likely just feeling a bit depressed and if your like me its hard to get out of especially early in recovery without having alcohol to help cope. Could be PAWS causing it (see link below) I have gained weight since quitting too and feel like it is just wrong that i have since i should have less calories without the booze! maybe our bodies just need some time to adjust. anyways i hope you feel better soon my friend. it will get better! :ghug3

Post-acute-withdrawal syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 07-02-2011, 03:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Same here friend! Feel old and ugly but my hubby keeps assuring me I'm not. LOL I hate passing by the mirror too. I'm sure we are just experiencing the blues and are hypersensitive to EVERYTHING! Read the information at the link becoming posted. It will help.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Why not try to find things to love about yourself that don't involve your physical looks?

And, be kind to yourself as you are on this journey of recovery, and you can learn to love the person that you are, inside and outside.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well I don't know what you look like, but I would prefer to spend my time with an average looking sober woman then a very pretty drunk.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Drunk or sober my self image sucks big time... sounds silly but time spent on myself helps a little.. a hair cut... new perfume...new clothes [op shop for me] a massage when i can afford it [though this is hard as u have to strip] ...walking every day helps.... I also ensure I compliment others on how they look... that makes me feel good inside