Notices

Felt WONDERFUL...till today...

Old 07-02-2011, 06:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Felt WONDERFUL...till today...

Beginning of day 6!!! What a big deal to me!!! I haven't been sober this long for the past 5 years!!! GO ME!!!!!
OK- that being said....UGH!!! Figured out my BIGGEST trigger this morning....my dear hubby. Don't get me wrong-he is my biggest supporter and always has been. He soooo wants back the woman he married and will listen to me till his ears fall off...BUT... when it comes to his problems, he doesn't realize that they make me a nervous wreck! What I mean by that is that he will usually take an issue and fly off the handle with it ( never my drinking though,,,weird ). Example...this morning...we were doing our weekly grocery list. He calmly stated that we really had to save money this week. Ok...no problem. When I would suggest a meal, he would say no, that it was too expensive..Ok...no problem. After about 4 or 5 meals I suggested, I calmly asked for his opinion...that did it...off the handle. I began to shake and CRAVE. I didn't want to fight so I just left the room. I used to grab a beer and begin my downward spiral into hell, but I don't drink anymore, so I just walked away. He got really mad and went to the store by himself and I am here venting. I just need some help dealing with this....I am not sure how to handle situations like this being sober. I am trying to understand things from a new perspective, but it's hard. Any suggestions from my peeps here?
As an aside, I am at day six and still no physical withdrawls! I am going to stop questioning it and enjoy it I guess!!! The mental is a different story!!!! But, since I don't drink anymore, I will deal with it with a clear mind and heart.
Thanks for letting me vent,
Old 07-02-2011, 06:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's interesting that he went to the store on his own. Maybe that was the solution all along? Great job staying as drinking will only complicate things. We all know that finances are always a tough issue in marriages. My hubby and I go round here and there on it too.

Maybe when he's calm tell him that in the past these types of interactions used to drive you to drink?
Old 07-02-2011, 06:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think your HP found the solution. You stepped away from it and it still got handled.

He might have been upset, but those are his feelings. He's allowed to have those. I know I frustrate my DH daily. It is the gift of me. If he is honestly angry about something, that is different and I'll right that wrong and apologize for my part as soon as it's possible.

Yay for day 6. You're doing a great job.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that you are finding your way in your new sober life, and it's not easy. I'm glad things worked out and the situation was taken care of.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ETA

Congrats on day 6 and congrats on walking away!

I would say an honest conversation when all emotions have passed would be a good idea. Tell you husband exactly what you told us.

You have got to be saving a little bit of money by not drinking - I know I am
Old 07-02-2011, 11:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Strong emotions are tough to handle when we are newly sober.

I think you did fine. You got angry and frustrated, but you stepped away and didn't drink.

Now, what really helps ME is to learn some good tools to handle life, sober. AA works great for me.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sobriety and doing the right thing by walking away. Do you have any other support other than your husband and SR? Have you thought about AA/sponser as another solution to maintaining sobriety?