July 1 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 07-01-2011, 01:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

July 1 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

July 1 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

“This I learned in Al-Anon,” says a member at a meeting, “That the man I married cannot be the source of my happiness or sorrow. The gift of life is personally mine – as his life belongs to him – to enjoy or destroy, as each of us wishes.

“I see him angry. Must I be? He is hostile. Must I be? Am I being faithless to my marriage vows when I achieve a bit of self-confidence while he continues to suffer the pains of self-doubt?

“I am not his guide, master or keeper. We are individuals and must each find our lonely way to our goals. My sources of comfort and strength he refuses to share with me; I have learned through bitter experience that it is fruitless to offer them.”

TODAY’S REMINDER

Adjusting myself to things as they are, and being able to love without trying to interfere with or control anyone else, however close to me – that is what I search for and can find in Al-Anon. The learning is sometimes painful; the reward is life itself – rich, full and serene.

“If thou attend to thyself and to God, thou wilt be little moved by what thou perceivest outside thee.” (Thomas A’Kempis)