Pets

Old 06-30-2011, 09:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pets

so ... just wanted to say I've noticed other pet lovers out there. I love seeing everyone's furry friends! I just want to throw this out there for anyone who is walking this difficult road without a pet. You might want to consider adopting one. I have received such comfort from my sweet four legged friends. I have three cats and one ornery old cairn terrier. My pic is Jefferson and he is without doubt the sweetest cat I have ever known. I have spent countless hours with him curled up on my lap and no matter how many times I pick him up to love on him he never seems to mind and takes it all in stride. Such wonderful unconditional love! It's food for the soul. I think they instinctively know when we are suffering and will draw near. My other cat Emmie is not at all a lap kitty but when my AS was here detoxing a little over a month ago before he went to the SLE, he was on the couch in a blanket and she came over and climbed onto his lap and sat with him for a couple of hours. I was amazed! That is the one and only time she has ever done that!! It was bizarre, like she sensed his pain.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Yankee

I agree, pets can sense when something is wrong or troubling you. They give such love and comfort to their owners. This was such a good sugestion Tinks!
Old 06-30-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Proud pet owner here too, and they are my second set of kids! In addition to my 6 dogs, I have 6 cats: Bagheera, Riley, Goober, French Fry (aka Frenchy), Velcro, and Sage. I also have two ferrets, Rikki and Lucian.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I previously shared an apt. with my daughter and she has a 5 lb. chichaua and a cat. When she moved out of our apt. and in with her new boyfried she took her dog (he looks exactly like my avatar!) but, so far, has left her cat. I love Izzy (the cat) to pieces - she isn't a big lap cat, but comes to sit on my lap a kneed my neck at least once every evening.

My son, who is my qualifier and is closing in on 2 years clean, loves having a pet (or multiple!) around. He agrees that they provide unconditional love, a reason to get out of bed each day and helps him not to spend too much time in his own brain.

Thanks Tink for the warm and fuzzy thread.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Another pet lover here, 2 shihtzu's, and one cat. I must have pets, they are my best buds, they always love me, they never lie to me or steal from me and they don't drink or do drugs! Have never been with a man I could say that about, I am abstractly stupid when it comes to men, that's why, I now live only with my pets!
Old 06-30-2011, 04:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My baby is a Boston Terrier. Once when my husband, son and I were preparing to go north to visit my parents, I said the four of us would be going. My son asked if I meant his brother was going with us, too. "No, Dad, me, you and Dominoe." My son laughed and said he was glad that at least he was listed before the dog! Yep, she's part of my family--and a very important part. I bought her a tag to add to her collar last year that said "Favorite child."
Old 06-30-2011, 06:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

We have a big fat cat she Mr Bojangles who is a she but the kids named her that. She also weighs in at 13 Ibs. Oh well. I have noticed my 13 year old takes her into his room and cuddles with her every night and when he is upset he takes her in there. I am so glad something comforts him when he doesn't want to talk.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tinks65 View Post
I just want to throw this out there for anyone who is walking this difficult road without a pet. You might want to consider adopting one.
Like Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, "I second that emotion!"

Don't know how I could have gotten through the last two years without my 5 angels! We lost 2 of our sweet dogs last year to old age , and now are down to 1 yorkie mix and 1 yellow lab. Oh, and our cockatiel, "Sweets."

All of our pets have been rescues or "cast offs" that someone no longer wanted. While we believed we were helping these dogs and birds, in truth it always has been them who helped us.

If our home was on fire and I could only take 3 things, I would take my dogs and Sweets and leave the rest behind with no regrets.

Thanks for this wonderful thread!

with love,

Hunny
Old 07-01-2011, 07:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My dogs also bring me great comfort. I have two beautiful greyhounds. Both were born deaf but have a vocabulary as large as any dog.....just in sign language.

There's a saying out there (don't know where I heard it) that God puts us on this earth to learn how to live and love......dogs don't have to stay as long because they already know. I believe dogs are important "teachers". They show us how to do it right.

And cats......they can teach us detachment! lol

gentle hugs
ke

(PS-cat lovers...please don't take offense.....I love cats too! But they do have the concept of detachment down to a science!)
Old 07-01-2011, 07:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kindeyes View Post

There's a saying out there (don't know where I heard it) that God puts us on this earth to learn how to live and love......dogs don't have to stay as long because they already know. I believe dogs are important "teachers". They show us how to do it right.
I have a favorite quote that reminds me of your statement here:

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
--Mark Twain

So true! I love the unconditional love my dog gives me.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
The sun still shines

Another animal lover here. I have 5 cats (one belongs to my AS) and 2 dogs. My son's cat has always been very aloof towards anyone but my son, except one day when I was still in a very dark place. I was crying (more like wailing lol) on the carpet in the lounge and she came and rubbed against me and wouldn't leave me alone. She really did comfort me.

Thanks for starting this thread.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

my babies are birds. i love my parakette but i favor my love bird. my love bird is so human. you would not expect that in a bird but she is a wonder. she understands everything u say & also gives u kisses. she will sit in my hands for hrs on end wanting her neck rubbed. animals are wonderful.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
it is what it is

i always treasure the opportunities to talk about my grandkids and my animals - i have 7 dogs (2 officially mine, 1 my son's, and 4 others that live at my house that i take care of) i also have 3 horses - my animals provide so much - most importantly, as has been mentioned, love and cuddling; they also provide balance and stability in my life because no matter what they have to be cared for so it certainly gives me a chance to get out of myself and focus on them for a while - i would never want to try to survive without my furkids
Old 07-03-2011, 10:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I could talk about my pets and nothing else for the rest of days. I prefer them to most people and I'm sure the people in my life know that without my having to say it.

I have two elderly horses with every conceivable old age horse ailment.
I have 3 male cats who are each unique and delightfully weird in their own way.
I have 2 dogs, one of whom is a cattle dog going on 12 this year. She believes she runs things, as most cattle dogs do.

And at the moment I am foster caring for a mother cat and her litter of 5 plus 1 orphan kitten who she reluctantly agreed to raise. They have a room in my new house as their nursery and when you open the door they tumble out like a car load of clowns. !!

Everyday is a blur of filling up food dishes and water bowl, scooping up, and kisses on the furry faces. I probably suck up more hair each day than my shop vac, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm not so sure I'm earning my way into heaven with taking in strays and giving them a home, but I hope heaven's kennel has an opening 'cause I'd rather spend eternity getting dogs kisses than anything else

Alice
Old 07-03-2011, 04:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I lost my beloved Toby almost two years ago. That cat was with me through my darkest days and always knew when I needed some love and cuddles. He was a regular here at SR too, because his escapades always brought smiles.

Even now, I can't think about getting another cat, not yet. I have a feeling that when the time is right for me to have a cat again, one will come along and adopt me.

This is a picture of my baby. He was the best cat and I loved him lots. He loved to lay by the door and watch the chipmunks play by the patio.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

i remember toby..
Old 07-03-2011, 05:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

We have 2 dogs, both with "issues" - both came from abusive homes & our son rescued them. During the worst times of our son's addiction, the dogs were such a comfort to me- they seemed to know when I was feeling down & would always come up & snuggle. Also, when our son had distanced himself from me & my husband & was consumed by his addiction, he still was able to express love to the dogs & I think they comforted him somehow.