Notices

How do you get thru this?

Old 06-28-2011, 09:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
God, please grant me wisdom.

How do you get thru this?

I Just joined this program the other day.I started drinking 5 years ago and have been wanting to recover for the last three years. My life has become intolerable. I want it to be good again. I started drinking when all of my children grew up, and my husband had been unfaithful for 30 years. They were my life, and I took pleasure in taking care of them. I was happy when we were a camily. I want to be happy again. I know that drinking is killing my mind, my body and my soul. I want to quit. I hate this Havoc, I don't know what to do about detox? I recently started drinking every other day. That is big, doesnt sound like it but, but for me it's big! I cant afford rehab, and I am scared that if I go for three days there will be serious ill effects. I have been reading about it! Is there anyone out there who can give a clue about weather or not I am going to survive "on my own" after a few days? I want to be alive again. I know that I can't have my life back, but I want to be alive again. I'm so tired of being dead!
Old 06-28-2011, 09:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Enchanted, there is always hope if you have it in your heart. I drank for 30 years and lost alot of time...I'll never get it back either. Don't expect to...the best I can do now is over live my new life now. I have come clean...I have released alot of worry, problems and anxieties...I am at a new place and a new peace...and so can you...but you do have to stop to experience that.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think everyone on here will chime that if you are concerned you should check with your doctor (there's no shame - they hear it all the time) and not take a chance. My withdrawals have been from no biggie to seriously scary. Why risk it? Make an appointment and then you can pick a quit date. Maybe check out an AA meeting.. and/or read and post on here. Do you have the support of your family, friends or church/social group? Things are going to be alright.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Enchanted,
i'm not a big advocate of tapering, but skipping every other day really shows deep desire. I only managed to skip a day a week until just throwing in the towel. Beat up, dazed, foggy, ...which gratefully began to slowly improve after 3 or 4 days. Seemed like my first glimpse of "normalcy" took a couple weeks.

You can (and will) "be happy again"

Keep faith in that goal; .....it'll happen !?!
Old 06-29-2011, 03:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

take the worry out of it. See a dr and get some advice.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I suppose that you can afford visiting a doctor, don't you? That is quite easy. Don't be afraid, alcohol problems are very common, so the doctor won't be surprised. Keeping drinking is not an option: it will cause much more problems.

I drank for 20 years or more. For me, withdrawal was not a big issue, but everyone is different.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome. My advice would be to get medical help with detox and than get into a program of recovery. AA has worked for me.