Notices

Am I Withdrawing?

Old 06-28-2011, 04:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I Withdrawing?

Hello,

First post here, and honestly shocked that I am actually posting this. I've been having a very rough past couple days and have no one I can confide in with this particular issue.

I'll try to make this brief but informative. I'm a 24 year old male, I've been drinking since I was 18. I didn't start getting heavier into alcohol until later 21-22ish. I've never considered myself a HEAVY drinker, until now.

Basically the past while (my memory is getting fuzzier and fuzzier lately, probably from the beer) I've been drinking more than I ever have. To make this story easier, I'll just say that from what I clearly remember, I've been drinking pretty steady since about April of this year.

When I say steady I mean I've probably been drinking 12 beers anywhere from 3-5 times out of a 7 day week. On average though, I'd probably say about 3 times. There might be one or two beers thrown in between that time, but for sake of making this easier to understand we'll leave it at 3-5 cases a week for sure since April.

I came to a very abrupt and sudden realization the past week that I have been drinking far too much, and that a change is most definitely needed. I am not sure if I'm addicted, I haven't had time to think about that. I think I just let myself get carried away. I finished school, and I haven't had much work, so priorities are low, therefore I have more of a chance to drink. This is a definite contributing factor to the 3-5 cases a week. If I were working I might not drink as much, but probably still within the same frequency. Either way, not good.

Anyways, to my main point here (and thanks for reading this far) I decided as of Sunday that I am going to cut way back effecitve immediately. Of course I am now scared of withdrawal symptoms. My last drink was on Saturday at 2:30am (really, Sunday morning) I haven't had beer since and I feel fine (as in, I don't need a drink) I am however wondering if I've been going through withdrawal, my main concern and reason for posting here.

To summarize the last few days, things were at it's worst on Sunday, I had extreme anxiety (I already have an anxiety/panic disorder so take that anxiety and multiply it by 100) I felt hot, cold, a bit shakey but my hands never actually visibly shook. I've had slight stomache upset but no actual vomiting or serious nausea. I had troubles concentrating and a bit of difficulty falling asleep. Monday was better. Physical symptoms subsided even more, but anxiety still remains BIG time, and the not being able to focus and concentrate as well as falling asleep. And now we're at today. I have had moments where I have genuinely felt good, like in good spirits and felt really good, to then feeling like complete crap at a drop of a dime. Today is a perfect example, I wake up feeling good, the day goes well, and then by 4pm I am struck with pure anxiety. I don't get physically ill or feel bad in that way, just mentally I get insane anxiety.

I have Google'd about withdrawal and I am kind of confused. If I never had any major symptoms by now, well over 48 hours.. is it safe to assume I have seen more or less the worse of it? I'm TERRIFIED it's going to get worse, that I'm going to vomit, get DT's (especially the DT worry) etc.

Like I said, I have been drinking 12 beers prety well 3-5 times a week. On the average, 3 times a week. The last few weeks have been a little heavier than usual, which was a cue for me to stop what I'm doing. Thankfully I have the smarts to stop and realize what I am doing is wrong. I just hope I haven't done any serious damage in the way of experiencing withdrawals.

Sorry this post is so poorly constructed, I am at work and kind of jumbled my thoughts together in one giant post. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Scooter

I always recommend people see a Dr before they quit because I didn't...I'd detoxed on my own many times without assistance, I always seemed ok...but the last time was different.

Detox/withdrawal is tricky...there's so many individual factors...far more than any of us here could factor in.

You say you feel fine, so it's up to you if you want to see a Dr now...if nothing else tho, it would put your mind at ease. You might ask about the anxiety too, although if it helps I think anxiety, sweats etc are pretty common...

Here's a thread we have on our member's detox experiences - it can be a little harrowing reading in parts - but it may help you decide if you need help or not

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Welcome to SR

D
Old 06-28-2011, 05:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dee is right. Really should check with your doctor.

If you notice anything worse or get really concerned then head to the emergency room.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the quick replies.

I'm not sure what to do, and now am a bit more anxious of course. I guess in my own brain I figured if I am on day 3 and haven't had any really serious symptoms than I should be okay. Now I am understanding that might not matter, or that it can sometimes take more than 3 days for withdrawal to happen??

The problem is if I see my family doctor he doesn't think I drink because of medications I take. I've sadly been doing this for years. He knows I have a few here and there just not as much as I do.

So I am scared to see him. I could see a walk-in doctor I suppose, but I don't know how that will go. I couldn't get in to see anyone now anyways as it is late in the evening, and now I am super anxious to wait until morning for fear that something bad might happen.

I can't tell if what I am feeling is just simply my anxiety disorder or if it is indeed actual withdrawal. I'm confused now.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Scooter!

I was in the same boat with you for a while (I'm 24). I drank pretty steadily from 18, when I turned 21, I could buy my own booze, so I basically drank almost every single day up until recently.

The "withdrawals" you're experiencing may not in fact be what you think. Do you drink caffeine? Caffeine can potentiate anxiety/panic disorder, trust me it's a drug like alcohol and it can be devastating on your mind and body. Not to mention caffeine withdrawals can be similar to alcohol withdrawals: shaky hands, nausea, brain fog, aches and pains. This used to be a big factor in my anxiety, when I quit coffee/sodas I became a totally calm and collected person.

In my opinion too there's a good chance you might not be an alcoholic yet, at least not physically dependent on it (but everyone is different). Like I said I drank heavily for a few years straight, one morning something clicked inside of me, and I no longer wanted to use behavior altering substances. I wanted to be healthier and happier. By running and surfing every day, and eating only nutrient rich foods I don't care about alcohol anymore. I had a few beers the other night, in a social setting (I used to drink on my own 99% of the time), and I didn't like how it made me feel. At our age, whatever sort of routine you get stuck into now, will stick with you for a long time and be harder to break out of down the road.

Just break the vicious cycle you're in and start creating healthy habits, things can only go up from there.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think you shouldn't be afraid to talk with your doctor. Alcohol problems are very common, so he won't be surprised.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SLD

Can't give medical advise, but it sounds like you are in a self-reinforcing spiral of anxiety. You are worrying about withdrawals, which makes you anxious, which makes you think you are in withdrawal, etc.

If you DO go to your doctor, I think you will be pleased and very reassured by his professional response when you tell him the absolute truth. Doctors have seen and heard FAR, far worse than what you have described here. I think there's a strong chance he will put your mind at ease, and your anxiety will diminish. Be honest with him or her... it's very liberating.

All the best!
Old 06-28-2011, 06:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for your post Juse, it really helped calm me down a bit.

I actually do not consume caffeine beacuse it aggrevates my anxiety disorder. If I have a cup of coffee I am anxious all day long right until bed, so I had to cut that out. I wish I could pin point it to that and not alcohol!

I'm in a very tough spot in being able to identify where my anxiety and symptoms are coming from. I suffer very badly from panic and anxiety and it's very good at masking itself as something else and playing tricks on my brain. Right now I am having the toughest time in determining whether what I feel is indeed alcohol withdrawal or just my anxiety.

I wouldn't be surprised if my anxiety could be the result from being off beer, and that's fine, I can honestly tolerate anxiety. It's the fear that if its withdrawal that it's going to get worse and I am going to vomit, hear voices, hallucinate, get DT's, raise my BP. The other fear I have is seeking help from my family doctor as I mentioned he does not know that I drink as much as I do.

Your post helped calm me down nonetheless, I have been on high anxiety mode for the last 4 hours straight.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

We don't want to panic anyone Scooter...if it makes you feel better, I'd imagine it uncommon for problems to occur after three days with no real symptoms...but nevertheless, they did for me.

You know better than anyone else here how you feel. If you feel really concerned you know what to do

The guys here are just pointing out that if you're concerned, a Dr is the best person to check with, not an internet forum...

D
Old 06-28-2011, 06:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SLD View Post
Can't give medical advise, but it sounds like you are in a self-reinforcing spiral of anxiety. You are worrying about withdrawals, which makes you anxious, which makes you think you are in withdrawal, etc.

If you DO go to your doctor, I think you will be pleased and very reassured by his professional response when you tell him the absolute truth. Doctors have seen and heard FAR, far worse than what you have described here. I think there's a strong chance he will put your mind at ease, and your anxiety will diminish. Be honest with him or her... it's very liberating.

All the best!
Thank you for your post.

I really do want to speak to my doctor, but we have a very honest and open relationship. I fear that when I tell him this entire time he's been asking me if I have been drinking and I've been lying to him, our relationship won't be the same. I know how silly this sounds but I see my doctor on a monthly basis, and he's a good doctor, I'd fear changing our relationship.

My best option would be a walk-in doctor.

I know no one is able to give medical advise, I am simply after your personal opinions is all. And so far I am extremely grateful for the responses so far, they've been extremely helpful.

When I look back at the past three days I don't know if what I feel is just my intense anxiety tricking me into believing what I feared would happen, or if it is actually with withdrawal. I figure symptoms would be much more intense and "noticeable" I suppose. The hardest thing I've gone through thus far is the anxiety and panic, along with the brain fog.

I value all of your input and opinions greatly.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've had to come back at regular intervals and remove posts from this thread.
Everyone please read our medical advice rule:

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
Thanks everybody
D
Old 06-28-2011, 07:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome.....

Please try to relax....drink water...have something to eat.....take a shower or walk around the room.
It takes time to get back in balance when you are new to not drinking.

Some med's don't mix well with alcohol....so you may find yours will be more effective as a non drinker....and that is certainly worth waiting for.