Notices

Hello

Old 06-28-2011, 04:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

Hi. Waiting for my own home detox. Nurse is coming on Monday and will have to stop drinking Sunday at 12 midnight. Memory blanks aside, my girlfriend (who's 36 weeks pregnant) managed to find the energy to remind me that I'm on 5th detox... you get there in the end eventually as they keep telling me but its hard to no where the end is when you get those chest pains and are climbing the walls. Struggled to log in this forum and find where to start as a newbie... and I should know better as I used to be a moderator working for IBM until I lost my job (reminds me of the scene from Leaving Las Vegas where he realised his head was cabbaged and they pulled him into the office and 'had to let him go'. Managed to muster some brain function to find this link which would explain why I'm like in a trance... it's embarassing as I used to be able to build a server with a blindfold on. lack of brain function I mean...
Alcohol Effects Last Long Into Sobriety (google it as I can't post a link)

The info in that article is worrying me. My girlfriend is 36 weeks pregnant and Type 1 diabetic (being diabetic and pregnant makes life 'interesting' ). I'm 'drinking what you need' and not going into 'party mode' but the withdrawals are kick in too fast for me to counter-act them. So angry as I got my initial visit today and was doing as I was bloody well told... was drinking plenty of water too as my hands are not looking too good. Managed to get some food down me too according to the leaflet they left me... sausage and mash and some tomatoes.

Then a fit kicked in about 2 hours ago and I had to blast about 2 litres of white 7.5 strength cider down my neck to counter-act withdrawals (that's why I'm not talking staight and having to recheck my post)... took about 30mins to recover from the fitting and was angry as I was doing well and I need to be there for my girlfriend.

I'll get my librium on Monday and after 2/3 day will feel 'fine'... it's my brain function I'm worried about as I need to get my backside into gear and try and climb back up the ladder.

Rant over...any advice besides 'hang on in there' would be great... no offence with that comment but it's gone beyond a joke coping with this now.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Dear Peaceful Vibe

Thank you for your honest post. You will surely find lots of support here. Most of us can relate to your experience of wanting to give up but not feeling able to quit. Some of us now have reached that much sought-after feeling of peace and calm which comes with sobriety.

You might find it helpful to think about the alcohol you consumed earlier. Two litres of strong cider is 15 units of alcohol. Men should not regularly exceed 3–4 units per day. The drinks contained 920 calories. This is equivalent to 3.6 burgers which could explain why your sense of hunger for food is being distorted.

Did you actually stop at the end of those two litres or did you take more? If you can, try to be honest with us as a starting point. We know what it's like to drink in these quantities. We know its effect on ourselves and on others and we have also found various ways to deal with the problem.

But first up, we had to be honest about the extent of our problem and after that things became easier.

I will pray for you and for your girlfriend and your son or daughter. I pray that you will be a great partner and father.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're seeing a nurse on Monday, but in the meantime please go to an ER or call your dr if you have problems. Detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous. Other than that, we can't give any kind of medical advice.

I wish the best for you and your girlfriend.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome PV...

my initial advice is the same as Anna's...don't hesitate to get medical help before Monday if you need it....I'm sure you know how rough detox can get.

D
Old 06-28-2011, 07:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sobered up a bit now (not much though) so brain will communicate with keyboard maybe a bit more.

@endlesspatience... yes I did take more you are so right... don't care about admitting to anything anymore - all support is appreciated - as my head is so far jammed up my you no what - stealing money to buy cider from the corner shop from a pregnant girlfriend who I love to pieces is not something you stick on a CV.

@dee74... it's the medical advice that I'm worried about now. Bare with me as not trying to rant. I've rang the Samaritans and they (fair dues) just give you a number and listen to what you've got to say. You ring AA national helpline and I **** you not I rang the other day and was greeted over the telephone with ''Hello''. ''Hello, you are through to National AA helpline'' would have been more professional especially as I had to say ''Have I rang the right number?''. I was in casualty 3 weeks ago out of sheer desperation as I felt like I was having a heart attack and so rang an ambulance. The ambulance woman turned and said what have you rung us for? When I said (whilst shaking on the floor and having chest pains) I'm having chest pains and admitting I'm an alcoholic and need help NOW she just looked at me like she was in a trance and didn't have a clue. Spent 20 minutes trying to explain to her what she should already know. Casualty were more sympathetic although understandably they were busy and stressed out - I know that because my girlfriend is obviously now on maternity leave and worked/works at a children's hospital as a support worker (the stories I have to hear about hospitals). She's not a nurse but she damn well knows how to remove/insert a cannula. A doctor did it at first and punctured the wall of my left arm's vein (stuck the bandage on and said the usual)... then this doctor managed to puncture my right arm's vein too. She goes ''Can you hold the bandage tight on your arm please''. Reply: ''which one, love... I'm bleeding out of both arms (as apparently you bleed heavier when your liver function is bad) and don't have another two hands to hold the bandages with''. To top it off I've taken the librium tablets in the past as part of the detox/after being in casualty, several times and after 5 mins started fitting for however long.

Have tried to explain this fitting with librium (in the respect of maybe I'm having a reaction) with NHS helpline/GP/caseworker/casualty doctors... etc. and just get a silence which is deafening.

Reletavily calm... just want some answers
Old 06-28-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bear with me too, cos you've lost me a little PV.
answers with what exactly?

D
Old 06-29-2011, 05:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Feeling more calm and focused now so I can explain things better hopefully.

There have been several occasions now where 5 minutes after taking librium It's made the situation worse. For instance, when I was in casualty 3 weeks ago they went through the normal detox routine (asked when my last drink was and then gave me the 4x5mg librium tablets and then 3 to 4 hours later another 4x5mg librium tablets... so on and so forth).

Thing is, out of all the dosages given in casualty, on several occasions, after 5 minutes of taking the tablets, I started fitting. This is not the first time either.

I've tried to explain this to doctors in casualty, my GP, my caseworkers, and they've just given this vacant stare. They've tried to say it's panic attacks but I've taken librium dosages and have been fine... it's hit and miss with me.

They don't seem to know if some people can have a reaction to librium is what I'm trying to say.

Maybe someone here knows about that? I'm especially keen to know because I'm going to have start taking the stuff on Monday as part of home detox and want to feel better... not worse. I've already brought this up at my initial assessment and all I've got was ''It's something we need to look into''.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow, you've been through a lot! I do think you can come back from all of this though. It's obviously going to take some time. And you are going to have some stories to tell others aboute where you are now! You will be of great help to someone some day.

Stick with it on Monday! Let yourself "get to the other side." And get some days behind you. Life will look less insane at that point. Other than the in home detox what do you have planned to stay sober?

Oh and what do you mean by "fitting?" Is that a seizure?