Notices

Looking for inspiration....

Old 06-28-2011, 09:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for inspiration....

I cant seem to keep up the initial inspiring things that I want to change in my life. Things that would be better if I were to be sober in the long term. I am in a vicious cycle. Wondering if anyone has tips for the early days of sobriety.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Tueday, I don't know about you, but I'm lazy as hell. I want what I want when I want it without working for it. And that's been a huge part of recovery for me -- changing the way I approach life and forcing myself to do things that I know are good for me, even if I don't feel like doing them (i.e. going to meetings, calling my sponsor, working in my garden, reading the Big Book). It's helped me to keep a list of things I want to do daily to help keep myself sober and checking them off. Maybe you could try that? It can be little things, like "Take 5 minutes in the morning to read a daily meditation", or it can be big things like "Don't take a *$@#$ drink today, @#$hole!" (that one's on my list every day), but checking them off gives me a feeling of accomplishment. If you have long-term goals, break them down into small pieces or steps. My first week or so of sobriety, I was easily overwhelmed by the simplest of things, but it got better. Hope some of that helps.

--Fenris.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I like the idea of a list. I am very lazy. I was in serious denial (among other things) of that fact. I think I want to add "eat a healthy breakfast" to my list... small steps. Thanks
Old 06-28-2011, 10:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

This is a great place to come for inspiration.

I changed my daily routine as much as possible - walking, not driving, eating supper later than usual - those kinds of things. It seemed to help me to break the obsessive thoughts about drinking.