I went to my first al-anon meeting last night....

Old 06-28-2011, 03:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I went to my first al-anon meeting last night....

....and I was pleasantly surprised how much i enjoyed it.
I don't know what I was expecting, but what I got was a lovely group of people who very openly shared their experiences.
I was so touched how welcome they made me feel and although I didn't feel able to share anything last night, I will definately be going back next week.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So glad you found a good meeting on your first try!
keep us posted
Old 06-29-2011, 03:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I guess I have been lucky for sure - I know a lot of people here haven't been so fortunate first time around..
Old 06-29-2011, 03:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think most people who stick it out and go to more than a few meetings will, in retrospect, say they were warmly welcomed. For many people the scripted format, lack of crosstalk, and concept of a higher power are just too foreign to feel any sort of comfortable, at first, and there is an adaptation time to come to understand that this is just a group of people working on skills, not some cult or bashing clique.

Just like AA is for alcoholics, Al-anon is for people who WANT to work recovery, and are willing to be open to what has worked for others.

It's wonderful to hear you felt a good experience in your very first meeting - this does happen for some folks!

Keep coming back, as we say!

CLMI
Old 06-29-2011, 08:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

My second Al-Anon meeting is the one that made me feel welcomed. It just felt right.

Not that the first one didn't, but it felt too formal for me. The third meeting was the first and only beginner's meeting I have attended (although I'm going to one tomorrow with a friend!), and it just felt too informal, like a joint complaint session. Sometimes it's important to have one of those, but since XABF is no longer in my life or my apartment, I'd rather focus on fixing myself for the future than focusing too much on the past without trying to take that past hurt in some positive, healing direction.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Awesome to hear!! My first Alanon meeting was torturous. I can see now that it was my expectation and my perceptions. Took me years to go back.