Notices

I'm so hungry now!!

Old 06-27-2011, 06:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm so hungry now!!

ok im sober 4 days and super self conscious about my weight and because of my anxiety havent been able to exercise (fear of a rapid heartbeat) then i broke or sprained my foot a few weeks ago while drunk and falling.....anyway gained a little weight got more self conscious drank more ......its a circle, anyway like i said 4 days sober and i am sooo hungry! has this happened to anyone else when they quit?? aside from the deep depression and inability to sleep all i want to do is eat! i hate it!! i know ill relapse if i gain too much weight......i wish i could take up smoking or something....anyways any advice about the hunger?? will it subside? has anyone gained massive amounts of weight after becoming sober?? thanks for any advice
Old 06-27-2011, 07:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was certainly hungry when I quit...but I hadn't been taking care of myself for a very long time...most of my calories had been beer.

Don't take up smoking - thats a really over the top reaction!

I ate a lot of junk in recovery - I wish I hadn't. I'm starting to eat healthy now and I really feel the benefits...

If you're not able to be too active right now, really try and eat sensibly...I find small portions (even if it's more than 3 a day) and tending towards unprocessed foods helps me a lot to keep my weight down, even during the times when I can't exercise

D
Old 06-27-2011, 07:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This happened to me too. My Dr. said it was probably my body craving things that I denied myself while drinking. Too much alcohol interferes with the body's ability to absorb vitamins and minerals even if you eat a healthy diet.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

AnitaB,

don't do it ! Don't deny yourself food !!
Your body is probably craving good healthy sugar ( from fruit, of course ) plus a ton of pretty much anything that grows out the ground. Hit the produce section and chow down !

I lost all my excess weight the first 7 months. A lot of folks would have us believe weight is all about working out, but I really think 'natural weight " is achieved and maintained by what we DON'T eat and drink. Working out is all about fitness and well-being.

jeeez,
..somebody get me off this soapbox !?!
Old 06-27-2011, 07:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is though, I won't lie. The thing with eating is you have to do it!!!! Lol. I was freaking out the first 3 weeks because I was eating so much. Now I'm slowing down a bit and I can see that it (my body) is working this all out. It's more important - as the wise folks here stated - that you focus on being sober first. Taking on new deadly habits or switching one bad drug for another will keep you sick.

You decided to stop drinking because it was unhealthy? If so you will have to figure out what healthy things you can do for your cravings. None of us are perfect but we can at least take a moment and work out a plan of action for all these crazy changes our bodies are going through. Heck, I'm trying to figure out why I want to sleep all the time! Lol
Old 06-27-2011, 08:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've been eating a lot too...and craving desserts...and I would never eat dessert in the past!

I've also been doing a lot of exercise too so it has evened out. I'm also not taking in all those calories that I would have taken in by drinking.

Catching myself putting cream and sugar in coffee instead of drinking it black as I usually would. I've been drinking some regular cokes instead of diet. I'm okay with it...feels like I'm treating myself on one front while I deny myself on the other...no alcohol.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I remember eating ALOT the first few weeks after I stopped drinking. I've found out that's normal. I've gained some lbs over the months. Personally, I'm okay with it. People have told me I look healthier now.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am newly sober, just over 3 months. At first I was ravenous, and I just ate all of whatever I wanted, knowing it was better than dumping booze into my body. I was also concerned about the weight gain, but didn't gain a pound. And now my food cravings have leveled somewhat and along with lots of walking I'm losing a few pounds, still have about 15 to go. I think at first it's ok to just eat what we crave.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day 3 but still cant eat..boiled potato last night, orange today..but Im a big fan of listen to your body {cept when it says drink alcohol].. at day 4 if its telling u to eat..Id eat..what if u made a big pot of vegie soup..thats low cal and lots of bulk.. plus the time it takes to buy and prepare all the vegies is time Im not drinking...Im making a pot tonight at my normal pre drinking time..to take my mind off my mind..lol...Researching low-fat healthy foods and preparing them is something that I use to forget the demon...

.My mums a diabetic so Im going to by some no-sugarsweets for when the sweet cravings hit..she gets them at the chemist...
Old 06-27-2011, 09:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
★May 13,2011★

I've gained 5 pounds in my 6 weeks of sobriety.I was unbelievably hungry the first 2-3 weeks and it's just now starting to level out a bit...now all I have to do is cut back on the ice cream which I hated before but now I *have* to have a bowl (or 2 lol) a day!
Old 06-28-2011, 04:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you for this post, as I normally would eat very healthy. No junk food except as a "treat" once in a while. Doesn't make sense that while I was drinking I paid more attention to what I was eating. This past week I bought a can of Pringles and ate them all in two days. I couldn't believe it. But, I found myself walking to the can of Pringles telling myself, better than a beer or a shot of whiskey. So, down went the Pringles. Glad to know it will pass.

I do agree with having natural sugars as a great staple. Find some fresh fruit you really like, cut it up, and have it handy in the fridge. It's easy to just grab what's "easy" to eat. And before you know it you are full on snacks. But, if you make your snacks better for you, you will reap the benefit.

And don't stock your cabinets with food that you know you'll regret eating. I know if I have cookies in the house, I'll eat them all myself. So, I opt not to buy them. But, when I really want one, I nab one at the bakery and savor every bite. A treat.

1undone - and I'm with you on the sleep thing. I can sleep 10 hours. Before I would toss and turn all night with that horrible taste of whiskey in my mouth. Now I can sleep like I did when I was a teenager. Crazy. But, it makes sense our bodies are trying to adapt to no alcohol.

We can't be too hard on ourselves, but we have to stay disciplined at the same time.

Be well.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Buelah - With your healthy lifestyle (from what I've read) I don't think you have a major concern. Eat those pringles gleefully.

Taking inspiration from one of your earlier posts I have been eating much more natural foods and less processed foods. Thanks for that. Now that my taste buds are rehabilitating I am amazed at how tasty apples, nectarines, salads, sunflower seeds ect are.

I'm still a little wary of carrots....
Old 06-28-2011, 04:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm with you there - I'll pass on the carrots. Stay away from High Fructose Corn Syrups - it's the culprint of a lot of our health problems - especially Diabetes and I have that in our family. Another reason, why cutting alcohol out of my routine is a good idea - they don't go hand in hand.

And trust me - those Pringles were heavenly!

Enjoy your Wednesday working on your sailing vessel!
Old 06-28-2011, 06:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ha, ha...I've lost track of my days...it's only Tuesday. Well, enjoy your Tuesday. And tomorrow enjoy your Wednesday. Brain is still trying to make sense of where the alcohol is.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

The thing I really noticed is how much I crave sweets (especially chocolate). I've never liked sweet stuff before, but now I look forward to dessert. My appetite was crazy the first couple of weeks after I quit, but now it's levelled off a lot and I'm eating like a "normal" person.

--Fenris.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

good advice

im glad to hear im not the only one thats pigging out! lol I still hate sweets and usually crave salty carby foods but i have a ton of fruit i can cut up to keep busy and feed to the kids! The good news is i can exercise again! 5 days sober and no more chest pains, my anxiety is almost gone! still a little *itchy though haha good luck to everyone this is not easy! and thanks for all the advice!