Letting Go

Old 06-27-2011, 02:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Letting Go

Any of you guys have trouble letting your hair down and just doing instead of thinking about doing and worrying about doing?

It's driving me nuts! I think things over too much, can't let myself go however much I want to, worry about what might happen, what might not happen.

I never used to be like this. Maybe it's a control thing...

Thoughts?
Old 06-27-2011, 04:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is a control thing! haha.

I have the same issues, I've never really been a fan of flying by the seat of my pants for anything. It all must be planned out, with plan b and c already determined as well. And God help whoever messes up my plans...because I am supposed to have everything figured out, right?

I've gotten better with it, much better actually. Putting faith in the idea that things will turn out exactly how they are supposed to, whether it's a trip to the grocery store or a night out on the town with the girls. I've learned that expectations, and them not being met, can ruin a perfectly good time, so I try to not have as many anymore. It's really worked wonders, i find I am actually having more fun than I used to!

I was in the thrift store today, to buy a smaller purse for work, and saw one that caought my eye. It was a little more than I wanted to spend, but I really liked it, so I carried it with me while I did the rest of my shopping. In the dressing room I looked at it, all the while continuing to contemplate if I should buy it or not, too much money, only $8, not too much, would I still like it when I got home, was it small enough, blah blah blah. I said to myself, i'll worry about it when I am done shopping... if I still want it then, i'll buy it. Not another thought went into it.

Before I checked out, I decided to go to the back area and grab some aprons for work, and on the way back there, I saw the cutest little Winnie the Pooh mini backpack. It has Pooh and Piglet sitting on a log in the woods, and it says "thinking little thoughts" on it. I immediately put down the $8 purse, and grabbed my new backpack. There was no thinking about whether it would be big enough for my stuff, how much it was, if I would still want it when I got home, if people were going to laugh at me for being in my 30's and having a winnie the pooh backpack, none of it. It was the easiest decision I had made all day, (and strangely enough the one that made me the happiest) simply because I didn't over complicate it by analyzing. I saw something I liked, and I got it.

Got to the register, and my new Winnie the Pooh mini backpack was $1.99.

Good things happen when I get out of the way, and just let them happen!
Old 06-27-2011, 04:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have to laugh... go read my thread I just posted. I think about things and what I should do or not do until I pretty much drive myself crazy. What Kitty just described is exactly what I do too. Even silly things like a purse I can over analyze.. give me something big to think about and it will consume me. I too am getting better at letting things go and just letting what ever be be, but I have a long way to go!
Old 06-27-2011, 04:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

I do what kitty and alone said too, I had to laugh aswell. I decide I'll go shopping, see something so nice or cute, I have to have it. By the time I get to the register, I put it down again.
Maybe, its that little girl inside of us - just wanting something - with no bl__dy explanation.
Like for instance, a mother and her 2 girls came into the bakery yesterday. Mum asked, which donut would you like, 1st girl "the one with the pink icing" - the 2nd girl "no I want the one with the pink icing" - I bet by the time she gets home, she doesnt want it, she'll want what the other girl has.
Now why do you think that was.??? hahha
Old 06-27-2011, 04:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I struggle to have fun. I struggle to be spontaneous etc.

In the intro to the Al-anon meetings I attend we read something called the Do's and Don'ts List. Sometimes it is the only piece I can pay attention to.

Do:
Forgive
Be honest with yourself
Be humble
Take it easy-tension is harmful
PLAY-find recreations and hobbies
Keep on trying whenever you fail
Learn the facts about alcoholism
Attend Al-Anon meetings often
Pray

I will just list the do's because it is amazing to me when I focus on those (especially the Play one) how much easier and smoother my life becomes.

Sometimes it is hard for me because all of the As in my life are very good at being fun, light-hearted and spontaneous. I think that is part of the attraction/balance for me. Finding this in myself has been one of my biggest (but most rewarding challenges).

Great question...thanks so much for asking it.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
tka

hmmm, yeah, some days I hang loose more than others. Speaking of letting hair down( I know it's just a figure of speech, but it fits), I haven't colored my hair in a long time, and I've really been wearing it up in a bun! I keep telling myself I'll do my hair and nails tonight, no tomorrow, no next week...but it's been months and I haven't.

Lately I've been having my eye on a new watch... one I really like, but then I stop and think maybe it'll be too girly, fancy, etc... and I should just get a plain one. When really, I shouldn't worry, no one will probably notice it and I'll be wearing it for me.