Notices

In for a few tough days

Old 06-26-2011, 01:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

In for a few tough days

Well, just got word that my grandmother passed away. She had struggled with years of Alzheimers and other physical ailments so there is some comfort knowing she is finally at peace.

The part that really has me nervous is that I now have to drive down for the funeral on Tuesday. There are lots of old family issues that I have tried to avoid for the last 20 years. No need to go into the history but I have one 1/2 brother and one 1/2 sister that I really do not want to deal with. It will be ok though. I'll just be polite and keep interactions minimized.

I'm not worried about drinking. I won't do that. I guess I'm worried about how Tuesday will go since I am "on my own" so to speak. No help from any person or any "chemical". I know everything will be fine. I just very rarely vent or express concern to anyone or anywhere else other than this site. Thanks for letting me do that and thanks for reading all this.

It will be a 13 hrs each way and the wife can't go so it will be a long haul going Monday and coming back Wednesday. My goal is to get in, support my Mom, not get into any regretful moments with other family member, and get back home!

Thanks for any thoughts and prayer that you may have time to invest.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for the loss of your grandmother.

It sounds like you have a good plan for the funeral. Being on your own Tuesday will be hard, but it will give you a chance to begin to know yourself and how you feel in an emotional situation. And, how about lining up some good music for the car, or an audio-book to listen to on the drive?
Old 06-26-2011, 02:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss Happier.

Your plan sounds good - focus on supporting your mom - anything else is off the agenda.

Anna makes some good suggestions too - and remember you're not alone - you have all of us with you in spirit

D