Notices

lonely

Old 06-26-2011, 11:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

lonely

i am so lonely! this is my number one deterrent when it comes to sobriety! All of my friends and family members either drink socially or drink daily. I have noone to talk to. Not even my fiance understands....his thing is "well im not addicted so i can have a drink" UGh makes me want to scream.....everytime im sober i relapse because after a few weeks or months ive been offered alcohol so many times or told just 1 drink is ok that i always give in......1 drink is ok right? uhm no not for an alcohlic.....for me 1 drink is never 1 drink lol. this is my first time on this site maybe now i can talk to strangers since i have no supportive fam or friends. I have also started journaling......its helping a little......this is a frustrating battle especially going it alone.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Best After Date:June 12, 2011

Hang in there. Everyone here is experiencing the same challenges. I'm on day 12 and doing good so far. I always drank at home and rarely went out for drinks. I'm not even sure how it will go yet. We can't expect normal drinkers to understand bit I wish(hope) they can respect my decision and why I need to quit. But I am quitting for me and so far am a better and more fun person when I am sober and I like that. So scew them. They are the ones that think a good time can only be had with alcohol. Trust me, you aren't alone here. This place is full of support from people who know EXACTLY where you are coming from. Congrats on being sober!!!!
Old 06-26-2011, 12:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ETA

Originally Posted by anitablake View Post
i am so lonely! this is my number one deterrent when it comes to sobriety! All of my friends and family members either drink socially or drink daily. I have noone to talk to. Not even my fiance understands....his thing is "well im not addicted so i can have a drink" UGh makes me want to scream.....everytime im sober i relapse because after a few weeks or months ive been offered alcohol so many times or told just 1 drink is ok that i always give in......1 drink is ok right? uhm no not for an alcohlic.....for me 1 drink is never 1 drink lol. this is my first time on this site maybe now i can talk to strangers since i have no supportive fam or friends. I have also started journaling......its helping a little......this is a frustrating battle especially going it alone.

I'm right there with you!

My first day not drinking I had someone try to give me an apple martini "oh come on. you sure you don't want one? they're already ready. come one..." and my fiance last night "you could have just a small beer"...

I have been so lonely this week and it's only been 5 days. I am SO glad I found this forum. It's made such a huge difference. I'm actually getting excited about being normal and sober even if others drink. In the immortal words of Dora from Finding Nemo I gotta "just keep swimming, swimming, swimming."
Old 06-26-2011, 03:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Anita

I remember feeling lonely too - but it got better as I made some new sober friendships and reestablished some old ones.

I also think the process of working on myself helped me become more comfortable with who I am - that not only made it a little easier for me to meet new people but I was more comfortable in my own company too.

It all takes time, but you'll get there

D
Old 06-26-2011, 03:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Anita, you not alone It does get better but there will always be some days better than others.

Hang in there, reading here everyday really helps...
Old 06-26-2011, 06:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's amazing how lonely it can feel when we're in a crowd or with someone we've chosen to spend our lives with.

My relief from this is support groups full of people like me and this site. . You can also go to the chartroom as well! The Internet is a great thang!!!

So glad you found us and I hope it helps you feel a bit less "alone."
Old 06-27-2011, 04:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
instant

anita. There are negatives of giving up what has been a part of your life. Whatever the negatives are they need to be properly considered in light of all the stuff that came with it.

We have to find a way through the challenges to a new way for ward for us.

take care. I found SR gives me an outlet that really helps me
Old 06-27-2011, 05:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Anita,

Maybe it's time to make some serious changes in your life and find things to do that don't involve alcohol? I wasn't comfortable around alcohol for a very long time when I stopped drinking.