Notices

Day Seven: Tennis Anyone?

Old 06-26-2011, 07:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Day Seven: Tennis Anyone?

Look what time it is!

As many of you know, I have been stuck in a six day relapse rut. Well I made it.

And it was easy but not temptation free. Some of you will remember that I had to give up a really tough diet to support my not drinking. I had to abandon a partner in that diet. Well, she held a party yesterday and I attended. I had told her I had another important personal objective that the diet interfered with. I didn't tell her it was quitting alcohol.

Well, she had a bottle of wine on the table (surely for me) and served lemonade in wine glasses. I never touched the wine and found the wine glasses cumbersome. Some of you have talked about drinking in other types of glasses--I totally agree.

Toward the end her husband practically foisted some chocolate wine on me (they think it's cool--I actually like wine and think it's silly). Anyway, I just told him, "No, I don't..." then he went away. Phwew.

Then we played pinochle with the kids and I attained a kind of caffeine high I haven't seen in years. Gotta watch that. But no alcohol.

So I am further along than I've been since the first go and I feel good.

I had hoped not to host the 4th of July as it is such a drunken holiday, but we live in Washington and the kids live in Oregon and the legal fireworks are more ineresting here. So I will have to host. Have to figure out how to handle that. I think I will go buy one of those big lemonade tanks to put outside...

Anyway, I am doing okay. I feel pretty strong and I think I really need to get to a meeting this week to reinforce this because it would be easy to slip, I know that. But hubby and I are living in sober peace and sleeping and watching movies and taking care of the place.

Now we're going to eat cereal then go play tennis. Tennis. Impossible hungover.

Thanks to you all, your patience, and the very existence of SR this beautiful morning.

It's possible newerbies and wayward friends. We can do this.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow. I admire your strength. There is no way I could endure that party atmosphere. Good for you.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

choosing to be sober during a party where everyone is drinking is a big accomplishment.

and there's nothing better than enjoying the Perks of sobriety...feeling good and being active just adds to your accomplishment and improves your mood...and if you feel so dang good, you won't want to ruin it.

you'll figure out something for the 4th....given the time frame, you can plan some cool stuff.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey thanks for sharing, what an inspiration!
Old 06-26-2011, 11:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Missy breaks booze's serve....Missy 1, booze 0. First set in this match of.....well, that's your call M.....
Old 06-26-2011, 11:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know what you're saying about the 4th of July. They were some of the worst drunks of my life, and the date surrounding some of the biggest consequences paid for being an active alcoholic.

The beauty of being the hostess is that you can do 4th of July your way.

My "hostess" policy is I will give you tons of delicious food. I put out really nice salads, corn on the cob, clams, meats and spectacular desserts. I will buy soda, seltzer, juices, lemonade, coffee, flavored teas and all types of sparkling waters, but I do not buy beer or booze. Bring your own - I'll have mixers for you and coolers of fresh ice. There is no alcohol in my kitchen as I prepare and serve all that food to my guests. My experience has shown me that the ones that are sitting in the kitchen with me "helping" as they suck down their drinks are not really helping - they are impediments. I usually send them outside.

I'll have big red plastic cups for you to use, and I don't break out fine drinkware for you. I tossed them out a long time ago.

I have a big, lined garbage pail to toss your empties into, and hubby gets to take care of that. I can't stand the smell of it.

I set up horseshoe pits, outdoor ping pong tables, bocce and lawn games. We have tubes and a boat and hubby will drag your kids around the lake - they love it. I have a nice firepit that I burn wood in as we watch the fireworks around the lake, and tiki lights for the mosquitoes and ambience. I have a hose ready for when the neighbor shoots off his mortars; just in case.

Leftover beer and unopened booze leaves with the bringer. Opened bottles are drained and tossed out immediately. I don't save it and I won't let them drive home with an open bottle in their car. At this point, it is not a temptation to me, and I hate booze so much, I just want it out of there.

No one drives home drunk...no one.

My experience has been that if I'm the hostess, I make the rules, and it can be done with tolerance, but it doesn't have to make me sick.

Have a happy 4th!
Old 06-26-2011, 12:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats Missy!
Old 06-26-2011, 02:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

The title of your post made me smile! Yeah, I can't imagine playing tennis hungover either!

Congratulations on your seventh day - you've worked for it, girl! I think being the hostess on July 4th could actually be good as it will keep you busy. I hosted a bridal shower a while ago and really enjoyed all the planning and prep, and just thinking about how I could "give" and make it great for everyone.

Now whenever I go anywhere with a party atmosphere, I take tons of photos. It allows me to move around (be "figdety!") and sometimes I even put together a DVD of the photos with music/titles and mail it to everyone afterwards. Watching the kids have fun (and knowing we're presenting them with a sober role model) is great too. I like wellwisher's ideas....... there's also temporary tattoos for the kids, plastic balls/bats, squirt guns........ And don't forget how wonderful picnic food is - I'd rather fill up on that any day than beer. You have to get through a holiday or two before you realize it's like playing tennis - it's actually more enjoyable when you're not under the influence.

Just proud of you....... keep it going!
Old 06-26-2011, 02:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
ETA

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
Now whenever I go anywhere with a party atmosphere, I take tons of photos. It allows me to move around (be "figdety!")
That's a great idea!

I never could take pictures before because I never wanted to put my drink down!
Old 06-26-2011, 08:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks guys.

We played tennis a while, walked, went to a movie, went to lunch, watched a world cup game...lovely day. We usually spend Sunday in a series of bars then go to the closeby karaoke with one of our favorite KJs. Instead we are home eating artichokes and watching "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf." What ought to be a good influence.

Bring on day 8. I'm on my way.