Notices

Day 6/Insomnia

Old 06-25-2011, 11:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 6/Insomnia

Today is particularly hard for me. I don't want to drink but have to work 40 hours in the next four days and my insomnia is BAD. I didn't sleep a wink last night and only got about 3 hours the night before. I'm feeling incredibly spacey. The only way I know how to control this is with alcohol.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this horrible withdrawl related insomnia?
Old 06-25-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Best After Date:June 12, 2011

Not sure if you've seen it, but there is a section devoted to insomnia issues that may help.

Insomnia/Nightmares - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 06-25-2011, 11:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

same problems for me iv been 30 days off of alcohol but its gonna take months honestly. iv been prescribed ambien, trazadone and lorazepam in tthe past but they all should be last resorts and i cant take them anymore cuz im an addict. i swear to god its cliche but u NEED exercise to sleep. i played online poker for a living so i was in front of a computer screen all day and didnt get much activity which was the main cause of my insomnia all my life but withdrawal related insomnia is common. If you already have a gym regimen and still cant sleep then def see a doctor but if u havent tried that yet then you are just using excuses quite frankly. i know cuz i use them all the time. its freaking hard to get to the gym at first but its the only way i know to control insomnia. not even necessarily the gym but just being active during the day in general

im no medical expert of course but this is pretty common knowledge
Old 06-25-2011, 11:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

The insomnia is so frustrating, I remember.....you have my sympathy! A lot of people get over it within the first week or two. I've always had problems getting to sleep and it becomes a vicious cycle when you start worrying about it and watching the clock.

There are over-the-counter things and natural things like melatonin and chamomile tea that help some people. I'm currently taking trazadone, which my psychiatrist said is not addictive like Ambien and other sleep meds (although I guess it could be psychologically).

Try to get as much rest as possible, even if you can't sleep. I hope things improve for you soon......:ghug3
Old 06-25-2011, 11:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Personally i dont think trazadone and seroquil are addictive at all but that doesnt mean they shouldnt be the last resort. my experiences with trazadone were that it wasnt addictive and knocked me out good but i would wake up very drowsy and dont think i got much good REM sleep

i would never recommend ambien or benzos as they have huge potentials for abuse and we are all addicts even if its just alcohol for u
Old 06-25-2011, 12:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Best After Date:June 12, 2011

I agree with the exercise. Has helped me a ton. But do it as early in the day as you can. Try exercise at least 3-4 hours before bed or it may keep you up. Forunately, before I became an alcoholic I was built and was addicted to working out. I've basically traded off beer for exercise and already lost weight with that and not taking in the 2000+ daily alcohol calories.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's pretty common, yeah - I'd always check with my Dr before I took anything, even OTC stuff.

Personally, I stuck it out and I was back into a sleeping pattern in 2 weeks - this was after 10 years+ of insomnia.

here are some common sense based suggestions

Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

D
Old 06-25-2011, 03:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hi.
Feel I am good on this subject I suffered severe insomnia for about 3 years, the whole thing spiralled out of control, the severe bouts were normally after a heavy drinking session which would set a chain of reaction of panic and fear . I was addicted to zopiclone for over 2 years from 3.5mg to over 15 mg a night.
I discovered a forum sleepnet/imsomnia section and read some really inspirational stuff from some amazing people.
All the rubbish about sleep debt etc you just have to forget it and the fear of not sleeping, just do not care if you dont sleep. Do not take any sleeping meds whatsover, I went from taking sleeping meds every night for 2 years to zilch. I went through a hellish week of minimal sleep and even done a couple of solid all nighters that first week after coming of Zopiclone, but the funny thing is I still functioned ok, yes you may feel groggy and scared that you are going to die or something ( more chance of winning lottery twice than this happening) and you hear constant stuff from people you need certain amount of sleep per night etc The body is amazing just let it go, just carry on as total normal , you feel groggy because you have not slept thats all, not like you have a proper horrible illness.
If you do not sleep tonight who cares ? If you do not sleep for the next 3 nights who cares ? Believe me it does eventually happen and you will function . I have problems with alcohol , which I really believe is behind everything bad/negative that has happened in my life ,on day 3 now , need to do this because sleep really does become amazing when you remain sober for a few months. I was 11 months sober 3 years ago had baby like sleep most nights bliss !
Sleep does not scare me no more because If I do not sleep properly for a few weeks Nothing at all is going to happen to me apart from feeling groggy
Old 06-25-2011, 03:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have problems sleeping too

I agree with you vInDaLoO!!
Old 06-26-2011, 12:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow! Thankyou Vindaloo!!! That really put me at ease. Its so wonderful to hear your positivity. I know just by reading your post that I can get through this.