Notices

bday parties

Old 06-23-2011, 02:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

bday parties

i have almost made it to 90 days!
i have alot of friends with summer bdays.. tonight is one of the first ones. i am going out to dinner with my close friends, and i know they will not pressure me to drink. in fact they would not want me to drink. but i cant help but not be as excited for this party. because i feel like it would be so much more fun if i could drink. thats prob bullsh*t but still thats how i feel. i have another tomorrow night that is the same thing. i just am jealous of people who can drink normally. i am sad that i cannot drink.
i have enjoyed sober life so far, dont get me wrong. but this is just how im feeling right now.
thanks.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is a really good guide for dealing with social occasions (even if it is written with Thanksgiving in mind)

Crying Out Now: Thanksgiving Survival Guide

If you've not heard of playing the tape throgh to the end, I've found it a useful technique.

It's easy to look at other people having fun and imagine ourselves doing that too - but it's not the end of the story for drinkers like us...

we need to force ourselves to play the tape through and look at the consequences - we get drunk, we injure ourselves, we embarrass ourselves, we fight or act like jerks, we go home and carry the party on and drink for days...

We're not like 'normal' drinkers.
D
Old 06-23-2011, 03:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's that darn stinking thinking thinking you still want to drink, ey? Tell that voice IT'S WRONG!! Have fun at the parties. Have an ice water w/lemon for me!
Old 06-23-2011, 09:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

D- I LOVE this from Crying Out Now: ...sober you don't wake up and think, "I wish I drank last night."
Old 06-23-2011, 09:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah I have no affiliation with it, but it's a really great blog

D