Notices

first post, last drink (hopefully)

Old 06-22-2011, 05:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

first post, last drink (hopefully)

I have been trolling the site for while and there seems to be genuine people here that want to help and care about each other. That is a beautiful thing.

I am an alcoholic and have been so for about 2 years. I never drank in high school or college and now I can't stop. It is killing my wallet and my babies even realize that daddy drinks. I am not a violent or ignorant drunk but I'm still a drunk and it has got to stop. I'm tired of being an addict, I'm tired of every time I get juice from the fridge for my kids they ask me "is this beer daddy". I'm just tired of being tired and this place is the best place that I can express myself without being judged. I know I can get through this, I just need a little help from the lord and anyone here. I had no idea that alcohol could have the effects that it does and my ignorance to that fact has gotten me in a really bad place.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome filthrich. Today is a good day to quit.
No one does any judging here. We are all on the same journey but a different path.

Wishing you peace and strength.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to the posting side of our recovery community....

Many of us are winning over alcohol..and Yes! that can be true for you too...
Blessings to you and your family
Old 06-22-2011, 06:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm so glad you have decided to live a sober life.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi! Welcome to SR!!

My main reason to get sober is my kid too. I believe that my child deserves a better parent than I was. I have deep regret about the things that I have done and the bottle calls me. I tell myself that eventually I will have to deal with my past and that the future can be beautiful.

Congrats and good luck
Old 06-22-2011, 06:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR filthrich

D
Old 06-22-2011, 06:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! Do you have a plan for quitting, maybe AA?
Old 06-22-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey filthrich: Welcome. Keep coming back. I have 8 months sobriety after about 10 years of drinking alcoholically. I'm a working mom and wish I had done this years ago. It is so worth it. Alcoholism will kill you eventually, somehow, some way, if you don't stop while you still can. Fact. You're the only dad your kids will ever have.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

to SR
Old 06-23-2011, 02:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone!

Originally Posted by Tuesday24 View Post
Hi! Welcome to SR!!

My main reason to get sober is my kid too. I believe that my child deserves a better parent than I was. I have deep regret about the things that I have done and the bottle calls me. I tell myself that eventually I will have to deal with my past and that the future can be beautiful.

Congrats and good luck
Thank you! After reading many posts here I know a life without the bottle will in fact be a better one.

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Welcome to the posting side of our recovery community....

Many of us are winning over alcohol..and Yes! that can be true for you too...
Blessings to you and your family
Thank you Carol!

Originally Posted by grateful101010 View Post
Hey filthrich: Welcome. Keep coming back. I have 8 months sobriety after about 10 years of drinking alcoholically. I'm a working mom and wish I had done this years ago. It is so worth it. Alcoholism will kill you eventually, somehow, some way, if you don't stop while you still can. Fact. You're the only dad your kids will ever have.
I appreciate the post. They are only 6 and 3 and I really need to enjoy this time with them.

I am happy to be a part of this forum.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome. I hope you'll find a lot of support here. Interesting that you say you weren't an ignorant drunk but a couple of sentences later you say you were ignorant about the effects of alcohol. I was the same. Thought I was smart but in fact I was very ignorant.

I've made it my job to learn and understand the disease. Life it a lot better as a result of that on many, many levels.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
instant

Hi FR

What I was doing with the full knowledge of my kids was my greatest shame, it really affected our relationship. Today is day 38 and I am so grateful for how it is turning out with them. It is such a load off my mind now and whilst I knew it the havoc it was causing- it is only now I can see how the whole situation was so toxic- all caused by my drinking
Old 06-23-2011, 03:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Filthrich
Brilliant that you are seeking out support, you will do this x
Old 06-23-2011, 04:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
klg

Originally Posted by Tuesday24 View Post
Hi! Welcome to SR!!

Congrats and good luck
you are so right, I have 2 wonderful little boys, that I love deeply and when i drink I am mean, and do things I shouldnt
Old 06-23-2011, 07:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by instant View Post
Hi FR

What I was doing with the full knowledge of my kids was my greatest shame, it really affected our relationship. Today is day 38 and I am so grateful for how it is turning out with them. It is such a load off my mind now and whilst I knew it the havoc it was causing- it is only now I can see how the whole situation was so toxic- all caused by my drinking
Wow. I understand that one. Since they are young I can not plant that seed that may grow into mayhem. Seeing me pour drink after drink and become more and more impatient-day after day-week after week-could have long term damaging effects to a child. At least that's the way I see it.

Originally Posted by klg View Post
you are so right, I have 2 wonderful little boys, that I love deeply and when i drink I am mean, and do things I shouldnt
I get mean too. I don't beat my children, but lord knows my grandmom whupped my butt many-a-time. and sometimes my boy gets real close. But he's 3 and all boy. At the end of the day they just don't deserve that, When I'm sober I'm much more tolerant and a better father.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Welcome!

Originally Posted by filthrich View Post
Seeing me pour drink after drink and become more and more impatient-day after day-week after week-could have long term damaging effects to a child. At least that's the way I see it.
Yes.

When I'm sober I'm much more tolerant and a better father.
Remember this.

TB.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome
We are so glad you are here.
SH