Notices

The Smell of Alcohol

Old 06-22-2011, 02:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Smell of Alcohol

I'm just shy of a year. There are a couple of guys 4 seats away drinking Corona's ...I can smell the beer from here r and its all I can do to keep from retching. Beer wasn't my DOC but when I drank I sometimes had corona's.

The same thing happens if I smell wine...which was my preferred beverage.

Even the memory of drinking makes me nauseous.

Am I very odd (in this aspect...I know I'm odd in general..lol).

The reason I wonder is because I did an exercise associating drinking with vomitting when I first got sober...I am curious if this is the result.

I'm glad in a way because I sure as hell don't want to drink...but I also want to ride the train without losing my cookies!

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2011, 02:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Whatever it takes! Glad to hear you don't have the desire to drink today. Keep moving forward in recovery.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Abnormally normal

Maybe it's a psychological thing, but I'm the same way when it comes to vodka.

Just reading the word triggers a mental memory and it makes me want to gag.
So smelling it, definitely makes my stomach turn.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Someone dropped/broke a bottle of wine in our elevator on the weekend and when I was trapped in that box for 4 floors I felt so sick. Yuck! To think I smelt like that a little as it seeped out of my pours. I also tend to find the smell reminds me of bad feelings, sickness. The Police ended up getting called to that apartment that night for excessive noise. Great Night for all and I am sure they spent the weekend recovering.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have the same thing when my wife breaks out the wine (for herself). I ask her to brush her teeth before I will give her a kiss after she has had a glass. Hard liquor is even worse, I about toss my lunch over the smell of whiskey.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I hate it too, LaFemme. I particularly find it repulsive on people's breath, it actually makes me have to take a few steps back. My hubby is still a nightly drinker, and I've told him I really just can't bring myself to kiss him when he smells of red wine. So there's been no intimacy for 64 days...sad, but we've got to the point where he needs to decide whether he wants me or the wine in the evening

I don't know whether it's something I'll get over in time, or that he will change his drinking habits in consideration for me. It's caused quite a bit of tension.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

I sometimes get nauseated by the smell of hand sanitizer that has alcohol in it. I know it's totally psychosomatic.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This morning I shuddered when I smelled a coworker's breath. We were all at an out of town conference, and she had either had a stiff drink on the plane or had done some serious drinking last night. I smelled like that last week, I'm sure. I was able to smell myself in the morning sometimes. Astounding how denial works. That is the smell of death.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Had the same sensation just the other day while hanging out with a friend who was having a beer. One whiff & I couldn't help but think, how could I have ever drank something that foul smelling.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
The same thing happens if I smell wine...which was my preferred beverage.
K00L, I see that you see this as past tense...over and done with!
Old 06-22-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good to know I have company!

Most kids don't like the smell of alcohol...they are pretty smart
Old 06-22-2011, 04:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good to know I have company!

Most kids don't like the smell of alcohol...they are pretty smart
So true and I never really thought of that, my kids hate the smell.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

I went to a clients house yesterday at 11:00 AM and I could smell the beer on this guys breath. It really did not bother me that much but it sure made me feel sad for the poor guy. Needles to say, his entire house was full of bottles, empties and fulls.

I hate to admit it but, for a while, we had a rodent problem in my garage. I mentally associated booze with rat poison. Both equally toxic.

I'm just shy of a year.
Congratulations on the almost one year Femme. Hard to think of you as being shy.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Luckily, I haven't had any 'social' incidents of smelling people's breath. LOL I don't frequent restuarants or bars. Don't go to parties or outtings.
Although my dog has bad breath, but that's another ball of wax.
I know that if I got a whiff of whiskey I would get a tornadic spinning knot in the pit of my stomach. I know it. I'm prepared for the day.
Luckily, at my work I am a register away from actually smelling people and usually body odor is what lingers over the counter. UGH.
I did have one guy at 10am that was more worried about bagging his boxwine and carrying it, than breaking his eggs he'd bought. He fumbled around for money and fumbled for his keys -so yeah, I'm sure he went home and stuck a straw in that boxwine like a capri cooler.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Funny, I don't mind the smell. I don't seek it out, but I don't mind it. I didn't used to barf from drinking, though. What keeps me sober is the intense memory of being hungover in the mornings and having to function. How the hell did I ever do it?
Old 06-22-2011, 07:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The smell of wine makes me absolutely sick now. That is pretty much my reaction with any kind of alcoholic drink and the smell of it, I feel sick rather than cravings.

The weird thing is that about 20 months later, sometimes I still have 'flashbacks', I really think I can smell alcohol when there is none, sometimes there's even almost a taste, out of nowhere. It doesn't last long, but it's kind of like a faint aftershadow/trace/imprint of the addiction. Alcohol addiction seems pretty complicated, I think it even involves a lot in our sense/emotional memory. I like to think I've left it behind, in many ways I have, but I guess part of my 'makeup' is still an alcoholic and I will always have to exercise caution and awareness about it.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm the exact opposite. I smell alcohol and I want it. Period.
Anyways, driving the kids to the skatepark today I remember many a time it took all my concentration to accomplish it I was so hung over..it was a breeze today and I actually enjoyed the drive.
So...thankfully the benefits of not drinking outweigh the urge to drink for me.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Gosh, I hope some day I am sickened by the smell of wine! That would be awesome!!!! But what I wouldn't give to be able to go wine tasting in sonoma and do it like a "normie"
Old 06-22-2011, 08:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

i don't really care but hand sanitizer does smell like my random bottles around the house that reak of booze
Old 06-22-2011, 08:32 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I do not like the smell of hard liquor on my husband's breath--but I think that's about my father (who never hurt me but was a fabulous alcoholic). There is definitely a gut reaction.

And stale beer has always smelled bad to me, but I don't think I share LaFemme's lucky proclivity! I too smell alcohol and want it. But I wonder if you can describe the vomit exercise...I'd be willing to try it.