what exactly is IN-PATIENT treatment like?

Old 06-22-2011, 08:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question what exactly is IN-PATIENT treatment like?

Hi everyone,

Im new here, and im hoping to get some info on IN PATIENT treatments. my AH was checked in this past weekend. So we are on day 4 and I havent heard anything from anyone. Is this normal? I was sort of expecting some kind of updates.... or to be given an itinerary so i could follow at home...

what is the normal process? when will friends and family be able to call or visit? and will there be group therapy with friends/ family?

he hit a low point the night he left, and i didnt have time to chat w/ counselors. i just got him there, and they took over. Since then ive called quite a few times, but i feel like im annoying the people at the desk. Even though im authorized to discuss his medical info... the employees are being very tight lipped about everything and saying someone will call me back w/ info but no one has. we are on day 4 now and it seems like a decade.

your wisdom and experiences w/ this is appreciated!
Old 06-22-2011, 08:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Yes, it is normal in those circumstances for the patient to be working on detox and recovery, not calling people on the phone. Many rehabs don't allow phone calls for the first several days, others don't allow them at all. His job is to concentrate on himself and learning how to live a sober life.

Your concern is quite common, but he is there for HIM. While he's away, you could use the time to work on your own recovery. Find some al-anon meetings for yourself. They can be a tremendous help.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I wasn't even allowed any contact with family the first two weeks I was in rehab. There's a reason for that.

I'd like to recommend you check into some Alanon meetings for yourself. It's a great place for face-to-face support among those who understand, and starts the process of healing from his alcoholism.

"Codependent No More" by Melody Beattie is an excellent starter book, and I still refer to it often.

Alcoholism is a family disease that pervades every aspect of our lives.

I hope you continue to post, and know that you are among friends!
Old 06-22-2011, 10:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
I wasn't even allowed any contact with family the first two weeks I was in rehab. There's a reason for that.
Yes.
I am speaking as someone who's alcoholic boyfriend called her once an hour while he was in rehab. He didn't learn anything, because he was so busy trying to contact me, and leaving nasty-grams on my phone when I stopped answering.

I hit my bottom while he was in rehab, due to the constant phone calls ("Why don't you iron my shirts so they'll be all ready when I get out!" "I called you ten times this morning, I'm in rehab so you need to answer the phone whenever I call so you can support me."), and now he's an alcoholic ex-boyfriend.

He's in rehab now. He's safe. They know what he's doing.
You are now free from the daily drama that comes with living with an alcoholic, so now is the time to work on your own health and mental well-being while he has professionals being paid to look after his.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Programs very but there is lots of structure and they are kept busy with groups, classes, etc. So your sense of time on the outside is probably different than his.

That is why focusing on yourself and keeping busy is the best way. I'm sure the place is used to family members who are concerned so try not to take the staff reactions personally.

The important thing to remember is that many patients have lots of unhealthy people in their lives on the outside (including sometimes family members) so it is as much to protect them from outside influences. Sucks for those of us who have never enabled and have always been supportive but that is the reality.