Happy news (and I could use some!)

Old 06-21-2011, 03:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Happy news (and I could use some!)

Kiddos' Dad called me today to let me know that older kiddo (the one I was so stressed out about losing his job last week), has officially been hired by the place that interviewed him the day after he was let go.

Get this: It is a small medical supply company, and he is being hired as a courier delivering supplies to the local hospitals. They originally were talking about a temporary job, but they were so impressed with him (they liked his EMT certification--with which he has never done anything--AND they liked his short volunteer stint with the Red Cross) that they are hiring him permanently, regular job WITH BENEFITS!!! WooHOO!! This is the first "real job" with benefits he has ever had. AND the parent company is listed as one of Seattle's 100 top companies to work for. (He is in Colorado, but at least the company would seem to have some stability.)

I HOPE this works out for him. He's had such a hard time fitting in, and it sounds, well, too good to be true. If it works out well, it could be a huge confidence-booster.

I don't like to get too carried away--he has a tough time sometimes with work environments--but geeze, it is just such a relief. The Bank of Dad (and Mom) is looking forward to closing its doors (except for emergencies).
Old 06-21-2011, 03:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Congratulations!! I am happy you can be more relaxed now!! HUGS!
Old 06-21-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He's off your payroll!!! congrats...it sounds like i good job for him...being a courier also will get him out of a strict office environment too which might work out well.

Couriers for med supplies/labs/etc...are very important people to doctor offices, hospitals, labs....i'm happy for your son and I hope it is a purrrfect fit.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

it sounds like i good job for him...being a courier also will get him out of a strict office environment too which might work out well.
His last job before the one he lost after two weeks, was driving delivery trucks for AutoZone. He liked that, but the hours weren't great, nor the pay, and no benefits. When I told his younger brother it looked like he was gonna get this new job, he said, "It's perfect for him. He can drive, listen to his stereo, and not be around people so much. For him that's a GOOD thing."

I hope someday he gets a little more comfortable around other people, but hey, he is who he is, and the whole secret of being happy with your work is finding something that's a good fit for you, personally. I've been VERY blessed in that respect--it's part of what makes the prospect of retiring from my present job kinda unsettling. Hard to imagine anything else that would "fit" as well.

Never know, though. Maybe I'll love the hell out of my new life.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Great news!
Old 06-21-2011, 05:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That is AWESOME!! I wish him all the best! Sending seriously good vibes...
Old 06-21-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey there Lexie

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
.... that older kiddo (the one I was so stressed out about losing his job last week), has officially been hired by.....
woooo hooo that's wonderful news, and a big relief I'm sure.

....he has a tough time sometimes with work environments .....
hmmm... perhaps, but it sounds to me like he's got a Mom that _believes_ in him, and that is the best confidence booster in the world

....it's part of what makes the prospect of retiring from my present job kinda unsettling. Hard to imagine anything else that would "fit" as well. Never know, though. Maybe I'll love the hell out of my new life.
I've changed careers... lesee.... four times. Every new career was a "perfect fit" and loads of fun in a whole different way. I have a nasty chronic disease so my physical abilities are quickly fading, so I've given up the constant traveling and physical jobs and now I have a lovely career sitting in an air conditioned office. For me it's not so much what I do but who I'm doing it with.

I can't wait 'till I can collect social security and go live on the beach in some Central American country. I've started learning spanish by having dinner at a local eatery every weekend

I think you'll love whatever new life you make for yourself cuz your posts here are so positive and filled with life and optimism. You might even get so good at it you'll start making money at it and next thing you know you have a new career

Mike
Old 06-21-2011, 06:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Aw, thanks, Mike.

It's funny, though--I was just watching Stephen Colbert's commencement speech at Northwestern (see bruingirl's "Comedy Relief" thread), and he compared living one's life to doing improv. "Most of the time you are pulling ideas out of your a$$." Ain't that the truth. Not that we shouldn't plan, but geeze, nothing ever goes the way we plan. And the great part is that what we get can, ultimately, be better than whatever we might have planned.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats to your son, kiddo. This does sound like the perfect fit from how you've described the entire situation. AND, with how quickly it all happened, the fact they want him permanently right away instead of temporarily...sounds like son's HP was leading right to the job meant for him!

As for you...I'm sure whatever you decide to do next will be perfect for you too...seeing as you are so aware of who you are and what you want. Recovery...it's just like dominoes!!!
Old 06-21-2011, 06:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

That is wonderful news!! Yay!!!!