Notices

Pretty much everything is annoying me....

Old 06-21-2011, 02:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Pretty much everything is annoying me....

Noises: TV, talking, general sounds at home, etc. I am overwhelmed by too many questions, choices, just too much one on one interaction. I want to go run and hide in piece and quiet. Some days I dread coming home because of the noise! Right now DH has the TV so loud I dont want to go downstairs. Between that, his chopping food and all the questions I know he will ask I'm so wanting to drink!!!! Ugh
Old 06-21-2011, 02:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Why don't you take a walk? The exercise is good for the body and the time away is good for the soul. Or put on some music on your headphones -- maybe a relaxation tape or a favorite CD? If all else fails, you can go sit in your Toyota minivan (that's a joke from the car commercial). Susan
Old 06-21-2011, 02:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Can you tell him you need some quiet time? Maybe take a nice warm shower or a walk around the block? I can relate to how you're feeling... I know when I come home and the house is chaos between barking dogs, loud TV and banging pots and pans all I want to do is just turn right back around, shut the door and get back in the car!
I usually settle with some semi-quiet time in the bedroom with the door shut, just until I decompress a little.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like a Calgon moment, 1undone....

I know this feeling well. Can you just go out for a walk around the block or something? Or shut the door and watch some indulgent tv for a half hour? Sounds like you just need some "me" time to take a breath and remove yourself from the "noise".

Thanks for venting here!!! You helped me yesterday and I want to help you today - vent away and let it all roll off your sleeve...deep breaths!
Old 06-21-2011, 03:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
...is learning and growing...

(((1undone)))

I can totally relate...when it gets to be too much for me (like last night), I let the family know I need some quiet "me" time, then I hang a Do Not Disturb sign I made on the bedroom door and lock it, then I do yoga, breathing exercises, watch mindless t.v., read, or listen to some music for a while. After about 30 minutes, I'm almost always more relaxed and in a better mood. Your body and mind are telling you that you are on overload and need to slow down...heed that warning and take care of you.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

All of these recommendations are great. I find that I'm cranky too. Last night we had to pay bills and my husband was very kind while I was just impossible. Then I went to sleep. I'm sure he said "Phwew." Today is better.

Tomorrow will be better for you too. I would definitely let the family know that you will be taking time for yourself. What if you started watching Sex and the City? If you came home and watched one episode each evening before you join in...
Old 06-21-2011, 04:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I get like that alot too. I just have to go somewhere. Usually outside somewhere wuiet and just kick ym feet up and close my eyes and just soak in all the sounds around me. Just stay in the moment. I know you said noise is bothering you. But for me to just listen to my breathing, the birds, whatever and just feel the sun on my body and the breeze blowing. Just everything in that moment helps me so much.
I hope you feel better.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, it sounds like you need some 'quiet time', so why not talk to your husband about turning the TV volume down, or as other have said go for a walk, listen to music? It will get easier.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm having one of those days myself. I was supposed to go help with an event at church tonight that involved a bunch of kids, I realized I could not handle it tonight so I made the right choice and did not go. I came home took a long hot shower, made myself a bite to eat and logged onto Sober Recovery. Tomorrow will be a better day!
Old 06-21-2011, 05:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

In my first days, weeks, and months of sobriety it seemed like these days would never end, like every day was going to be like that. I would find myself taking an extra long drive home from work for no reason other than I didn't want to deal with what was inside without my old helper alcohol. Over time though, I found that I just needed to switch out my vice, find my new thing I did instead of drink. Because there was no way all those people, places and things were going to quit triggering my crazy run away syndrome. I just had to find something else to run to. I personally choose my iPod, prayer or a nap.
I felt really goofy when I first started praying all day long, like there was no way anyone was listening and what was the point in giving God even the smallest of my tribulations. Over time though, this strategy has worked better than anything else. I can't tell you how many times a day I breathe and say the serenity prayer or the Lord's prayer. It's like instead of letting my head go to that negative place that becomes overwhelming I stop it, say the prayer when I feel that sense of overwhelming coming on and say it repeatedly until the other thoughts and noises are out of my head. I know, it sounds really silly but I swear to you, it has worked for me. The other thing is to drown it out with your favorite sounds.... In the situation where you're "stuck" in the house with the family, I tend to just go in the bathroom and take just a little longer than usual, wash my face, freshen up, and reach out to my higher power and give him my troubles. The Serenity Prayer really fits almost every situation. I also force myself to just look into my eyes, tell myself I can do it, that this is not going to get me down and that I will do the next right thing.

Hope you are feeling better! I know that feeling you are talking about all too well, and it's really truly difficult to struggle through without the substances we used to run to, but I know you can do it!
Old 06-21-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You all had great things to say and made me giggle a bit too. Thanks! I don't own a mini van but my car will do just fine and the whole taking the long way home.... Well that sounds good to me! LOL

I spoke to my sponsor and a friend. I also listened to some CDs that my sponsor gave me about the BB and AA. It was a good thing because I got a new perspective and I needed that. My hubby (DH) went to ALanon tonight so I got some quiet time! Who knew this would be so beneficial to both of us! LOLOLOL

Anyway, thanks for all the great suggestions and thoughts. This place is the back bone to my recovery as it is ALWAYS available and I never feel like i'm intruding. Thanks!