Notices

has anyone tried orthomolecular addiction treatment

Old 06-20-2011, 03:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
klg

has anyone tried orthomolecular addiction treatment

I have been reading all day on on alcoholism and ran across this has anyone ever tried it. It sure is a lot of vitiamens.
THank you
orthomolecular-based addiction treatment
Old 06-20-2011, 03:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've heard of nutrition based programmes.

It usually involves quite high doses of vitamins - I wouldn't do it as I know personally the dangers of vitamin overdose - I certainly wouldn't try it without independent medical advice and supervision.

I think nutrition is important but, IMO, it's not a 'cure' - especially just on it's own.

D
Old 06-20-2011, 04:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree completely with Dee.

It's very important to have a good diet, but vitamins alone cannot cure addiction, in my opinion.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

The only way to cure addiction is to quit drinking or using. Find a program that enhances your desire to not drink or use. Keep recovery at the forefront of your life. There is no magic pill, or book, or tape, or class that will do the work for you. You have to put in the work in order to get the results. I can only imagine the amount of money being made by companies that say they have the best way to cure addiction, lose weight, etc. It all boils down to having to do the work and quit looking for some easy way out.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I tried it ant it worked for me. However as Dee and Anna say be careful, too much vitamins can cause a lot of problems. I took an iron supplement and for 1 week I had horrible cramps..... So be very careful what nutrition you take. It helped me a lot with my cravings, but again that was maybe my imagination
Old 06-20-2011, 08:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is part of "my" program. I went to a clinic that specializes in orthomolecular medicine local to me. Do NOT try to do the plan yourself, you need to goto a clinic, let them get your blood tests and then prescribe the plan individulized for you.

I would say though, it's just one facet of what keeps me sober.. At the end of the day you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink, the orthomelcular part comes in to treating your diseased body which always leads to a diseased mind in one form or another.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
klg

Thanks I was reading about it and it did seem promising so I may ask my dr about it. Thanks
Old 06-24-2011, 06:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
klg

after seeing my councelor, and asking him about orthomolecular medicine i started on it tuesday,, and either it is my immagination SASA or IT IS working, or could be,, this site, my willpower to do what needs to be done, and the vitamins,, but anyway I feel great, and eventhough everyone around me was drinking last night I didnt even have the desire. I know people say dont go around people that drink but we where at a baseball tourniment after the tournament took all the boys to the pool at the hotel so I watched the boys while 90 percent of the other adults where drinking.

SASA i dont have to take Iron with mine...