Notices

Time To Quit....?

Old 06-20-2011, 12:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Time To Quit....?

Hi All,

I have read a few things about Alcoholism and do think I have a problem?

I have always had beers most nights after work at home - though about 1 year ago I stepped it up a bit in terms of strength and moved on to Real Ale and kronenbourg. I have been finding that after 2 nights on the beer, usually Sunday night I wake up and my PJ's are soaked - so wet you can ring them out and have a a full on depression the next day which may last 2 days.

Do I sound like I have a problem? The very fact this happens?

Thanks guys - all help appreciated

Tony
Old 06-20-2011, 01:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Usually if your wondering if you have a problem you probably do. If your not sure take a few weeks off of alcohol and see how things go. Welcome to the group!
Old 06-20-2011, 01:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If I have had too much alcohol I sweat all night. And I have seen sites that say post-alcohol depression is an important indication. Apparently, "normal drinkers" don't feel guilty and depressed afterward.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
instant

If you think you have a problem, you probably do, but its up to you. I had way more cons for drinking that pros but I still struggled for years to get to my 36 days sober.

If do have a problem. alcohol will not let you go without a fight. it wasn't until I tried to stop before I realised how tight it's grip was
Old 06-20-2011, 01:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with that Instant. I think I have spent years figuring I would quit one day--like going to the grocery store. But it hasn't worked out that way.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you found us, and that you are looking for support.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's hard to judge your situation based on the description you gave. But soaked PJs from sweat (or urine!) aren't a good thing. The post drinking depression isn't good either.
Alcoholism gets progressively worse. I spent 8 years on beer or wine, no liquor. Then one day it didn't do the trick anymore and I switched to vodka. I used to only drink after work and on weekends. Then one day it wasn't enough anymore and I was sipping before work and well before noon on weekends.
I think if you're honest with yourself, you'll find the answer to your question. Good luck!
Old 06-20-2011, 01:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome to SR Tony.

I hope you can come to a decision soon about your drinking. Waiting to long could become waiting until its to late. Usually after some life threatening events caused by alcohol drinking do cause many to face the fact that they do have a problem.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TonyUK View Post
Hi All,

I have read a few things about Alcoholism and do think I have a problem?

I have always had beers most nights after work at home - though about 1 year ago I stepped it up a bit in terms of strength and moved on to Real Ale and kronenbourg. I have been finding that after 2 nights on the beer, usually Sunday night I wake up and my PJ's are soaked - so wet you can ring them out and have a a full on depression the next day which may last 2 days.

Do I sound like I have a problem? The very fact this happens?

Thanks guys - all help appreciated

Tony
Hi Tony!

Not 1000 miles from me (Lancashire)!

For a long time I ignored my symptoms, advice from others, and tell tale signs too. Only you know if you have a problem, but you have definitely found the right place to discuss it.

Why don't you start with the break which was suggested before - see how you cope, if you have a hard time doing without then maybe it's time to consider whether it's worth the effort drinking.

Andrew
Old 06-20-2011, 03:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I woke up in a puddles for weeks after I gave up the drinking. It is a symptom of withdraw and from what I can tell, a fairly common one. As is depression. That being said, there are a ton of things that cause night sweats and and just as many that cause depression. Regardless of the cause you might want to consider going to a doctor and getting a check up.

You mentioned that you have drinks at night on a daily basis. I don't know if that is a problem or not and even if I did it probably wouldn't make much of a difference. When I was drinking heavily Bill W. himself could have diagnosed me as an alcoholic and I would have told him to go to hell and take his lousy book with him. For me, I had to come to terms with my problem on my own by being honest with myself.

I do think (as others have mentioned) that taking an extended break from drinking might be helpful. It wasn't until I stopped drinking for a while that I realized how tightly alcohol had me by the short hairs. Give it a shot. Couldn't hurt.

Welcome to SR by the way. I think if you do some poking around SR you will find a number of threads similar to this one. No harm in that by the way, I just thought you might find a response on one of them that strikes a chord.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Tony

I agree with others here - if you think it's a problem, it is.
You'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 06-21-2011, 11:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi All,

Thanks so much for the replies.

I am going for an extended break to see what happens

It's been three days and already I have four cans of kronenbourg on my mind

Thanks again
Old 06-21-2011, 06:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Pour those four cans of kronenbourg off you mind and focus on some recovery literature (SMART Recovery Tools) or AA or something other than thinking your way into actually drinking.