Notices

New Member day 1

Old 06-20-2011, 01:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Member day 1

I just joined your group here.

I have started my de-tox today so I thought a little help maybe a good thing. For now I will stay away from AA, not that they are bad but I'll try this first. I am following the book "Seven Weeks to Sobriety". I used it before in 2000 and it worked well for me.

About myself: I have been drinking beer every day for years. Can't remember a day I didn't have beer. Some days more than others but 4-5 a day would be minimun and a dozen or more wouldn't be uncommon. I make (made) homebrew. I know I have low blood sugar and have low blood pressure. I think my brain is not functioning at 100%, have low energy levels and sometime blurred vision. When I quit before in 2000 or 2001 (for about 5 1/2 months) it was no big deal, hope it is that way this time. I don't think there is any doubt that I use alcohol to excess. I don't know if I'm really a full blown addict but my body has taken a beating from the excess. I eat good and have always held down a job, shown up to work. I don't smoke but drink at least a pot of coffee a day. I am, if anything a little under weight, always have been. I know I have been a pain in the ass to family friends etc calling them up when I'm on the beer and making a fool of myself. It is not uncommon for me to not remember some events from the night before. Thats about it.

LTJimmie.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, LTJimmie! SR has been great for me in my new sober start. Been there done that with the phone calls, etc. It's nice to not have to try and re-piece the night before. Gives your brain something else to focus on Glad you are here!
Old 06-20-2011, 04:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

LTJimmie, Welcome to SR... In my opinion " Seven weeks to sobriety " is a program worth trying. Apart from that, you will get lots of support here at SR..Wish you all the best for your recovery..
Old 06-20-2011, 04:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hi LTJimmie, i am a noob myself here.
i certainly hope your detox goes smoothly and you can start a sober life again. i would not expect to feel super-duper on day 1, but everyone is different. gather up your strength and patience, just in case

and hang around here. it has been very helpful for me.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome LT. I've been doing the 7 weeks for 10 days and have been sober for 9. To me this program is great, I haven't felt better in I don't know how long. Keep yourself busy! Chores, reading, hobbies, excercise, etc... It's helped me quite a bit.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing your progress.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to Sober Recovery, you will find lots of great information and support available here.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 06-20-2011, 06:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey welcome! Glad you found this place, it keeps me sane at times! LOL WELCOME!!!!
Old 06-20-2011, 07:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome LTJimmie! Happy you decided to join us. Have you thought about getting checked out by your Doctor? It's always a good idea while detoxing.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 06-20-2011, 11:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

good luck Jimmie
Old 06-20-2011, 11:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad you found us!
Old 06-21-2011, 03:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've gone 37 hours now and feeling fine. Hope this keeps up. Need to find some juice to drink, thinking orange juice with out sugar or V8 juice. I read about 250 pages of Tom Clancy's latest book yesterday so that was good. Amazon came through with 4 new books for me yesterday during our mail strike!

Thanks for all the responses, I'm enjoying the web site.

LTJimmie
Old 06-21-2011, 04:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome! Reading a novel is a good way to keep you mind off of alcohol.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi there Jimmy,
I also did the Seven Weeks programme. It was great and gave me the impetus to stop drinking. It wasn't for me the miracle cure than I so desparately wanted (had a couple of relapses) but it certainly got me going as no other programme has had before (AA and others). I suppose it was simply something I could believe in (diet, vitamins and minerals, vs. something spiritual). Once I got sober though I was able to discover truths about myself which has led to me living a more honest existence (I suspect that is as close to spirituality that I can get, certainly at the moment). The honesty thing has been a tough pill to swallow (excuse the pun, Jimmy I am sure you will understand but for those who don't know on this programme you can take up to about 60 tabs a day), but I feel finally like a real person instead of a fraud.
I am a day shy of four weeks now and really happy with where I am at.
I really hope everything works out for you!
Old 06-21-2011, 04:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good luck. That never worked for me, I hope it does for you. Read the first 156 pages of the big book and see if you think you are an alcoholic. You may not be. I am. The pages described my way of thinking and actions. I made my 112th AA meeting last night, 80 days sober for the umpteenth time. This time is different. I admitted Step One and working on two-four ever since, long road to recovery but so much better than what I have had in the past. I don't want to go back to what I was with another relapse. I want sobriety more than anything else and this is working better than anything I have ever tried in 40 years of drinking.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome LTJimmie - glad today was ok for you

D
Old 06-21-2011, 09:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR
Old 06-21-2011, 09:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome to SR LTJimmie

Originally Posted by LTJimmie
"Seven Weeks to Sobriety". I used it before in 2000 and it worked well for me.
I know when I found a recovery plan that worked I started to heal from endless years of throwing my life in the gutter with drugs/alcohol.

Keep up the good effort...as you know the payoff is the good life wile being clean/sober.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Just an update. It's 2 1/2 days and no trouble. I waited for weeks to start this. I wanted to go through all the booze in the house, than went on a bike trip for 5 days and bought 3 cases of beer before finally starting. Never did get rid of all the booze, dumped out some and there is 3 cans of beer left in the house that I just didn't drink.

I'm thankful that the program is working for me this well so far. I'm staying close to home for the first week. I finished the Clancy book Against all Enemies last night and now starting The Girl with the Dragoon Tattoo. I hear it's a good book, I have all three in the series to read.

Thanks for the web site and the support, I'm happy to have you people to talk to.

LTJimmie
Old 06-22-2011, 04:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Great work and nice to meet u LTJimmie.. what ever works...I say grab it mate...