Notices

Gaining Weight...

Old 06-19-2011, 08:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gaining Weight...

Hello all. I have noticed that since my last drink (a little over 3 weeks now) all I want to do is eat, eat, and eat. I was by no means a skimpy eater when I was drinking, but now it seems like I am craving sugar (ice cream, butterfingers, m&m's, etc) and high-carb type foods (pizza..) all the time!

I feel like I am trying to fill a void and food is doing the trick, temporarily. Seems like I am giving up one vice for another. I haven't got on the scale, but I feel my tummy sticking out a bit furhter : ) Lord help me!!! Anyone got some tips or hints on how to get around this? I already work-out 5/6 days a week and am a pretty active person.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 3 weeks!

The food cravings will level out. I know in the first month if I was obsessing about alcohol I would clean the fridge and cabinets out with anything sweet. It got better.

Hang in there. A few extra pounds is better than the poison of alcohol.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I gained about 20 pounds the first four months I was sober. I took them off again when I was ready.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I started to lose wight when I stopped drinking...face less puffy, gut going away, skin looks better
Old 06-20-2011, 08:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I started out with craving sugars and carbs. That has leveled off. Now my problem is junk. I work the second shift and am starving when I get home at midnight. Not in the mood to cook a healthy meal so I eat crap. Ive gained 9 pounds but lost 3. I'm looking at joining a gym but I know my appetite increases when I workout. Sure is a lot healthier then drinking booze, skipping meals, vomiting and then doing it all over again
Old 06-20-2011, 11:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

OMG! I thought this was my post for a second, right down to the filling the void part. I guess this is "normal" for us peeps who quite drinking. UNFORTUNATELY.

I've tried sugar free candy but I have to be very careful! You can end up in the potty a lot! LOL But the reduced carb ice cream is good and then someone mentioned sugar free popsicles.

For me it's just this oral fixation. (sounds bad) but it's simaliar to a smoker needing to chew gum.

It's not that I NEED sugar I just need to be doing something - it's the behavioral side of addiction. When those behaviors aren't there anymore - drinking liquid we feel strange and anxious. At least that's what I've discovered. Hopefully this will die down soon!!!!
Old 06-20-2011, 12:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think a lot of us experience that. During my outpatient rehab group meetings, we were always passing around bags of candy. We all noticed the cravings but decided it simply wasn't a big deal in the short term. Whatever it took to stay sober!

I know I had expected to lose some weight when I quit drinking. I mean, think about it... a bottle of wine has how many calories? How about 1/2 a bottle of vodka + mixers? I thought it would be tough NOT to be cutting calories but I didn't consider how little I ate while drinking. During the first 60 days (maybe more) of sobriety I didn't lose a pound. But that gradually changed as my body adjusted and I've finally slimmed down to a size I feel comfortable with. In the beginning, I had to focus on the positive things that were happening. I was eating so my hair wasn't falling out, I didn't have bags under my eyes, my mind was clear and my wallet was gaining weight (hahaha!).

My advice is to put your sobriety first and give yourself a break. If eating more junk food helps in the short term, don't beat yourself up. Gradually work healthier foods into your diet and before you know it, the craving for gummy bears and Cheetos will slip away.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

One reason I quit drinking was because I figured I would lose some weight. Didn't happen! No, like others who have posted here, I've gained weight the past two years during my sobriety. Probably 10 pounds on average, though it has fluctuated a bit. Not happy about it but I'd rather be carrying some extra weight than abusing booze and trashing my liver. I've always loved sweets, and good old-school junk food like chips have been more tempting in sobriety. Training for a marathon this fall to help shed a few pounds. No big secrets: burn more than you consume and you'll lose weight.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Someone said to me the other day that our bodies turn alcohol into sugar. When you quit drinking the alcohol your body still looks for the sugar.

I've been eating like crazy but also exercising more than normal so I think it's evening out. Just had a Dairy Queen Blizzard (smartie) for dessert after lunch!
Old 06-20-2011, 01:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think it is important to realize too, that when we are drinking, our body is completely dehydrated, so a lot of what you see show up on the scale is weight that is what your body has been looking for and missing! The weight will drop if you are working out that many times a week, but if it doesn't it may be time to set some new or different goals (a run with hills or an additional 10-15 minutes one or two times a week).

Hang in there, and don't panic. In a few months you will have so much energy, plus you won't have all of those "hollow" calories that do nobody any good.

PN
Old 06-20-2011, 01:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I always had some nice protein bars on hand, never let my self get too hungry, but also allowed myself to have chocolate when I wanted. The low carb bars really did the trick in satisfying my cravings and I have a lost a lot of weight. Also boiled eggs in the morning set me up for the day and almonds to snack on. I think you should eat what you want at this stage as it is better than alcohol, however having these other things on hand will help keep that tummy in check!
Old 06-20-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

And congratulations on three weeks that is great!
Old 06-20-2011, 02:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Something that I've adopted previously is a protein shake for breakfast everyday...within 30 minutes of waking. It's quick and easy...I do 40 grams and it kick starts your body to getting it burning calories right away. I had one this morning...ran 9k and wasn't hungry for lunch till after 2:00pm. I really think it's a good way to control weight.