Notices

Now I feel like I'm powerless over....

Old 06-19-2011, 01:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool Now I feel like I'm powerless over....

Ice cream and coffee!!!!! Or food in general. I'm outta control. It's like I can't shake the addict flaws. I'm going to AA 3-4 times a week and I'm reading, coming here....

I'm just feeling out of control. My mind is constantly focused on consuming. Anyone know of a good book about this? Not necessarily focused on drinking but maybe something about excess? Ugh! Can I do anything in moderation?

Old 06-19-2011, 02:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I ate everything in sight after I got done detoxing. It took a couple weeks for things to level out for me. I tried to keep healthy snacks available during that time as to try to curb my intake of junk food. Try finding a fruit or veggie you like and nibbling on that when you get hungry or have a craving it might stop you from raiding the fridge.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

How to Quit Drinking without AA. Don't worry about the title. It actully could enchance your AA experience as their are worksheets and health assessments. Food recomendations and ways to relax and live right. It does not bash AA. Good book.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lots of things start to try and get into balance once one stops drinking.

Not sure how much or how long it was for you.

I found this book a good guide on restoring some physical sanity to myself including eating much better
Amazon.com: Seven Weeks to Sobriety: The Proven Program to Fight Alcoholism through Nutrition (9780449002599): Joan Mathews Larson: Books but hey that's me.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm at 35 days and it seems I'm craving more and more foods. I have a good friend who is going through the same thing. I'll be passing suggestions on to her too. We Re both scared that we will start having weight issues and give up. I just started playing Dance Central for xBox and that gives you a serious butt whooping! Lol
Old 06-19-2011, 05:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's not unusual to develop a craving for sweets. I consumed a lot more Snickers bars after I got sober.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sugarless Popsicles. . .

15 calories each, a sweet treat and it would be hard to eat too many from a calorie perspective. I'm not super-psyched about all that aspartame but honestly, compared to alcohol and nicotine it's really the least of my worries. Little single serving italian ices aren't bad either.

I also figure you can treat yourself to a small but decadent ice cream cone once in a while - if a vodka tonic goes at 150 calories each I was putting away 1,000 calories a night in drinks. Should buy me a little leeway.

Carrots and apples are both healthy, high fiber, and both have lots of sugar, which is what I have heard alcoholics crave, especially early on.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

At first, my inclination is to say, "its nothing...it should pass." Then again, I'm not happy with myself when I see indications of addict behavior in ANY part of my life. If nothing else, it's a reminder that alcohol.....and my drinking of it......IS/WAS just a symptom of a bigger issue.

Stuff like that - the eating, wanting to "escape," catching myself in delusion or denial..... it's not comforting but it's a good reminder of that second half of the first step (the part about unmanageably).

Look....it doesn't make you a "bad" person not is it indicative of you not doing recovery "right." (both of which I thought about myself.....and it made my first couple years very difficult). It is, though, something to take a look at. I mean, we got sober to be able to have and live better lives. What's the point if we just trade the gun we were killing ourselves with for a knife?

Addictive behaviors are something to be on the watch for. Again.....they're just other areas to recover in, to work on and to improve in sobriety.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sugar cravings are quite usual, there is a physical reason for it when you stop drinking alcohol. I think it is that your body is craving the high sugar content it once got from alcohol, which is high in sugar. I found that trying to stick with a balanced diet helped a bit (sugar levels from 'whole' foods don't plummet as quick), of course it's not always easy. It's a difficult time and you should be a bit forgiving with yourself if you're going for some comfort foods.

The trouble with a lot of caffeine and sugar is that while it may give a temporary lift, and rush of energy, later you can feel the opposite. Excessive coffee can also cause people to become more anxious. I tried to replace instant coffee with tea, as it had less of that effect.

35 days is great, give it some time though, it looks to me like you are doing the right things for your recovery. At 35 days I was usually struggling, a bit over the place emotionally, etc, it does get better if you hang in there.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I combat my love of food with good workouts. Burning 600 calorie workouts. I love love love to eat. I eat whole foods, whole grains, full fat, etc. To make sure it all balances out-a good sweat.

I gained when I was getting clean and sober and lost it, plus 60lbs after 2 years.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
instant

I am day 36. I am still eating a lot of chocolate and ice cream (very unusual for me historically) . I think there are signs it is slowing down but I have formed a belief it does help with cravings. I am taking the view "anything goes" at the moment as long as I am not drinking. Yesterday I did nothing and didn't leave the house (also very strange for me) LOL- so keeping exceptions of myself low is helping. take care
Old 06-20-2011, 04:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

can't really help you 1undone but i do know what you mean - i'm almost 7 weeks and my sugar and caffeine addiction is still going full throttle.....but as instant points out, it's always better than drinking.
then again, i used that rationale for smoking too up until recently, so i feel like the strong coffee and chocolate is next in the firing line. it's all about balance though, i had a healthy dinner with lots of fresh veggies and tofu and nuts, then polished off the rest of the chocolate! stay healthy
Old 06-20-2011, 06:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i had a healthy dinner with lots of fresh veggies and tofu and nuts, then polished off the rest of the chocolate! stay healthy
LOL I'm totally like this!!! Oh well, I'll just have to figure this out like I have all the other crud in my life. Of course I'll always be figuring something out.