Notices

some 6th day observations.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

some 6th day observations.

I'm observing some of the changes that are taking place in the past (almost) week of not drinking, and thought I'd share them. It occurred to me that while I am a bit beside myself, welling behind that is something really bright. I'm interested to explore it more. So here we are:

My eyes look different. I don't think I'm imagining things. They almost look bigger. (which is good, because mine are quite deep set.) The white part seems whiter and the skin around them seems less dark. Could my eyes have been puffy for years and I didn't realize it?!

My mouth feels different. It's wetter. I think I've been chronically dehydrated, and again, didn't really realize it.

I feel like I'm on the brink of being able to see a different kind of calm... not that I'm there, but I can sense it. It's hard to describe. It sounds silly, but things like doing the dishes and sweeping the floor don't seem like "chores", if that makes sense. The same for the ordinary administrative task I just finished for work.

Could I possibly be losing weight? My stomach seems less bloated.

The past few nights I have slept... I mean, actually slept. There's a profound difference between sleeping and passing out. omg.

I have a lot of energy, for me. I worked out for an hour and a half last night and I don't think I've done that much cardio since high school.

If this could be my life, I'll take it.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I promise it will only get better.

Are you following any kind of program?
Old 06-19-2011, 09:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Best After Date:June 12, 2011

On day 7 myself and have noticed pretty much all of the same things. Definitely hoping to lose some weight from not taking in the extra 2000 k calories a day. And of course feeling better and more able to exercise. Congrats!!!
Old 06-19-2011, 09:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheTinMan View Post
Are you following any kind of program?
I went to an AA women's meeting yesterday and plan to try to go again today, schedule depending. Am doing some reading of the book they gave me. I'm not at all sure about the 90 meetings in 90 days, though.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have noticed the same - esp in my face and stomach. Less puffy - brighter whites in my eyes. My complexion is also more even and less blotchy. I'm breaking out alot but I'm sure my body is going through a lot of changes. I'll take it too!

It's good for us to notice the positives and not just focus on what we are "missing". I know it will keep creeping in my mind, but I try and consciously remember these benefits. Oh, and the money saved!!! Coffee and iced tea are so much cheaper! I bought myself a few new items of clothing as a treat. I think rewarding myself is a good incentive too!!

Great job, bexxed!
Old 06-19-2011, 09:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Forward is the correct direction...
Old 06-19-2011, 01:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

sounding good Bexxed!

D
Old 06-19-2011, 06:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have noticed a lot of little things too:

More patient with my boys...better able to really slow things down and give them my full attention...look them square in the eyes and really connect.

I think I'm going to be gaining weight...eating way more than I normally would and attracted to sweets like I never have before.

Good energy, but not great. I did a lot of running before I quit and I'm still running but I dont notice a lot of difference. Although I am running at different times of the day now...like 6 am on a Saturday!

My wife and I have been much closer this week...physically and otherwise. It's been nice.

I've also noticed that at certain times I am better able to communicate my thoughts...really slow things down and focus on what I'm trying to say and succeeding. I always had a razor sharp wit and assumed I still had it, but this week I have felt a familiarity with the way my mind used to work...quick!

There's lots of good stuff!
Old 06-19-2011, 07:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

No, you're not imagining it.

About the 90-in-90: that isn't an AA deal, it started with rehabs recommending it. So you hear it repeated a lot. That said, I did it and I'm glad I did. I thought it got me off to a good start.

The most important part of AA is that Book you got, though. The whole AA program is in those first 164 pages. If you do nothing else at your first few meetings, get yourself a sponsor to help you work the Steps. Meetings are great, but doing the Step work is the REAL AA.