Notices

Why am I so sensitive?

Old 06-19-2011, 06:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why am I so sensitive?

I can't keep it together at all. I was in a fine mood this morning, made some "hubba hubba" comment to my hubby and he was like "might be easier if you weren't is such a black mood all the time." So of course I start crying. I can't talk about my bad moods without getting in a bad mood.

This is awful.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My emotions swung all over when I first quit, it takes some time for things to even off and level out. If your feeling down try going for a little walk, or take ten deep breaths and try to relax. Take it easy on yourself and give yourself some time, it does get easier.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

I so agree with the former post the 1st year of recovery is a heck of a roller coaster ride. It gets easier but as with other things sometimes it gets bad before it gets good.

At least you have support here on SR and a whole lot of compassion from people who have been there.

You also are helping so many people by posting your feelings.

So keep up your spirits we have already made it thorough the war now we just have to keep trudging onward.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, I am also moody at times the first week was the worst for me. Exercise helps level me out , also vitamins, eating well, resting, and I am not pushing myself at all.

I am being very kind to myself right now and allowing myself to relax and be mellow.

Also, this time around I am trying to reach out to people which helps me to vent and not feel so alone.
hope this helps
jules
Old 06-19-2011, 10:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Emotions are very tough at the start.

Also though it was kind of a ****** thing to hear. I mean you made a light joke and he kind of brought you down again.

So I'd tack on 'relationships are tough at the start' to my first sentence. There is a lot of healing to come
Old 06-19-2011, 02:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, it takes time and patience to get through the emotional swings.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Be gentle to your self. I use a method that works for me: like giving myself a hug and wispering," I believe in you" or "I love you" to myself. Often outloud or when I catch myself engaing or reinforcing negative self talk. The more uncomfortable you are doing this at first may be because you do a lot of negative inner self talk.You may not even be aware you are doing it. The more you reverse this and start to cut yourself a break - the more people will enjoy you again. My 2 cents.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

....it's common.

Heck, it even made the Big Book in AA where Bill wrote about what
not drinking felt like until to an alcoholic who hadn't gotten recovered yet - "We were having trouble with personal relationships, we couldn't control our emotional natures, we were a pray to misery and depression..."

Get working on solidifying your recovery.....get/stay moving forward and it'll pass.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was over sensitive and over reacting to things for awhile in early stages of recovery. It does settle down. What helped me was that I had some pretty good counselors, I could 'vent' to them about things, they could listen in an objective manner and give some rational feedback (family members and friends often react back emotionally, as let's face it they are emotionally involved in the whole situation, it can just escalate things though, counselors and sponsors are trained to step back from all that). That was often enough so that I could settle down again. If you feel like crying though, let yourself - I believe that it can be healing and you shouldn't hold back if that's what you feel like doing. I did a lot of it at meetings, in front of my TV, etc.

In my counselor's office, I often knew that I was being over reactive and what I was saying didn't even have a real basis. It still helped to 'air' it though. I am so thankful for the people who helped me through and listened to me at that time though it probably didn't make a lot of sense.