Notices

Poured the vodka out!

Old 06-18-2011, 09:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Poured the vodka out!

Hi all, I am about two weeks sober and was having kind of a sad day. My dad died last july and I was thinking about him as tomorrow is Fathers Day.

Anyway, I got tired of feeling sad and the thought popped in my head to just drink. My husband it away at work , and I could put my little one to bed and just escape.

I begin to plan how I would hide it from my husband, and I wanted to go to church on Sunday would my breath in the morning give me away? I spent a long time kind of planning this whole thing.

But as my daughter was getting ready for bed I didn't feel good about carrying out my plan, I knew I would hate myself in the morning. I did not want to be a liar and a sneaker anymore. I begin praying asking God to please help me.

I came over to my computer and logged on to SR and decided out of desperation to go onto the chat room (which I never do). And you guys talked me back from the edge of the "cliff". I was REALLY close to pouring a drink and because I connected with you all I was able to get my mind on other things and I poured out the vodka!!

Thanks for all your kind words and help. I am sooooooo grateful to be sober right now . I don't have anyone to talk to about my sobriety yet, so I was grateful to have had this forum tonight

julie
Old 06-18-2011, 09:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations! The best use for vodka is a drain cleaner
Old 06-18-2011, 09:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you did that Jules

D
Old 06-18-2011, 10:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah Jules!!
Old 06-19-2011, 02:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Way to go! You were proactive, thought about the ramifications and did the right and noble thing. I'm proud of you!
Drinking is NEVER the awnswer. It's the problem.
You didn't let your little girl and husband down. But mostly, you didn't let yourself down.

Just think how you'd feel this morning if you would have drank.

Best to you.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Way to be strong, great job! I hope you have a great day!
Old 06-19-2011, 06:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Back again

I have finally got motivated to stop drinking. I had my last drink on June 13.
Evening was my get drunk time. I find it's when my will is the weakest. I had a strong urge to drink last night. I had a conversation with my husband who said he noticed I haven't been drinking. He asked if I was stopping again. I said yes. He tried to convince me that I should not stop. He said I am more relaxed on a few drinks a night. I said, do you realize I am drinking a bottle of gin a week? he said he did but that wasn't too bad. I said that I think that I have to wonder how much he cares to encourage me to continue to drink. He does not drink. I don't really understand this . I can't stop for any reason other than I want to do it for me.

Anyway, I got through the night last night without alcohol. I slept great and woke up feeling hopeful.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations! The best use for vodka is a drain cleaner

I also think it might be good to clean up oil stains on the garage floor.

Vodka was my downfall, I'm glad you poured it out.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations! That was hard to do. And I'm so glad you know that even though you aren't talking to people in your immediate world, you are not alone.

I'm in Washington too. I'm in SW Washington. Which part of the state do you live in?
Old 06-19-2011, 08:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good for you Jules!! I can't tell you the number of times I gained strength from logging onto chat. Just getting my mind off drinking saved me from listening to the voice in my head. I'm so happy you came here instead of carrying out your plan. Way to go!! Support is essential IMO for people in recovery. Have a great sober day!!!

Best Wishes To You!
Old 06-19-2011, 08:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I remember my almost-ceremonial dumping of all the booze, and 95 percent of the barware, the week I quit drinking.

It was a big mental symbol of my commitment to never drinking again.

Good goin'--especially going to the chatroom and asking for help before giving in.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

congrats! what else is there to say? ... this is a great way to exercise willpower.
... and i bet you feel tenfold better mentally and physically today, because of what you did last night. unfortunately, there are millions of struggling people, who'd wish they had your strength (i was definitely one of them).
Old 06-19-2011, 08:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Jules~Congrats!
You were so close to picking up. That starting to Plan is almost a point of no return. Glad you chatted here and poured it out.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! I heard a quote from a speaker once I always liked, and it helps when you think about it.

"Sitting around thinking about drinking sure beats sitting in a bar thinking about being sober."

Stay strong my friend!

-Ryan
Old 06-19-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Stay strong!

Way to go!