Notices

Should I give her a chance?

Old 06-18-2011, 05:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Should I give her a chance?

So, I reached out to a therapist about a week ago via email to make an initial appointment (she specializes in substance and alcohol abuse). She offered a Monday evening appointment, and I accepted. I didn't hear back from her and pinged her Monday several times to see if we were "on" and never got a response. Just got an email TODAY saying she was so sorry but that she had a super-hectic week, didn't check her email, and only now realized that she missed me. She offered to find time this week to meet.

Seems like a flaky therapist is the last thing I need, but perhaps I should give her another chance? Thoughts?
Old 06-18-2011, 05:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow! That's absolutely inexcusable for a therapist!! Is it hard finding therapists that are available in your town? If you can find another one, I would seriously consider it, if it doesn't mean having to wait.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

No!
Old 06-18-2011, 05:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is terrible, you deserve better - find someone else.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

OMG - I saw a therapist for years and she was the flakiest person ever. Funny how I read that and didn't see it to be a big deal because I'm pretty used to it!!! She helped me tremendously but was nuts. I guess I just grew tolerant of it.

THat doesn't make it ok. If you have options, I would definitely check into finding someone else. It's a good sign that it's going to keep happening, and that can be incredibly shattering if you are at a place where you need to see her and she doesn't show up or double books.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

She may just need help in the office, I am no therapist but I know when a business is growing you have to give 100% to the customer, letting the phone calls slip and the emails lag is not as bad as getting bad service.

For example, if you called a service and the contact and scheduling was great but they seem to rush through the service and did a half job you would wish you had never called them, but if there focused on the 'now' client more than the ones signing up you may have a pretty good therapist, maybe worth a chance.

I hate having to wait in a waiting room while the doctor juggles too many patience at once, they shouldn’t over schedule.

Did she actually confirm the Monday appointment?
Old 06-18-2011, 10:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow...I'm not sure what to say. I, personally, wouldn't even consider giving her another chance. That's a pretty big error for a therapist to make...unless you left the appointment up in the air? But even then, a non-responsive therapist is troubling. My therapist was 15 minutes late once and I was very unhappy and she apologized profusely. If she had simply forgotten about our meeting, that would be it. If you have other options, I might consider them.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would look for someone else.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am with Anna on that, you deserve better
Old 06-18-2011, 01:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Journey of Recovery

Makes an appointment that she doesn't honor and doesn't contact for 5 days? Very unprofessional in my eyes.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I would not be able to trust a professional who can't keep her office runnning smoothly...
I'm useing my benefits or cash to recieve assistance...it's my life I'm dealing with.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Personally, I would give her a chance. I don't know if its a strength or weakness of mine but I like to think 'on the other side'. Maybe something was going on in her life? Maybe she is trying to find a good secretary to run the ship? Maybe her Uncle died? Being an alcoholic and knowing that I have alot of work to do on myself I would suspect that no one is perfect. Not that it's ok...But...I think email and texting can be alittle shady anyway and easy for people to lose track.
If I was making such an appt. I would have called her on the phone and actually spoke with her.
The other questions would be...how did you find her? Do you know anyone that is going to her? What is her track record?
I would go with my gut on this one. Do you feel she intentionally wronged you or it was simply a lack of communication?
If it was brain surgery I'd definately get a second opinion by another!