Notices

blacking out

Old 06-18-2011, 04:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy blacking out

i have been not remembering eating dinner or going to bed. This just started and it scares me. i am not sure what is happening. it never happened before.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by italianladi41 View Post
i have been not remembering eating dinner or going to bed. This just started and it scares me. i am not sure what is happening. it never happened before.
Welcome to SR!

I think the fact that it scares you is good as it makes you sit up and realise you have a problem.

Good for you that you identified it - now it's time to make some changes and stop drinking before things get worse.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Italianladi

Yeah, blackouts are scary - they happen to most of us eventually....for me they were a sign my drinking was progressing to the next level.

I hope you're ready to stop drinking - the worst thing I ever did was become blasé about my blackouts.

D
Old 06-18-2011, 05:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Blackouts

It's not fun not to remember how you got in bed, who you talked to on the phone, what you said or did. . .it's especially not fun when you start to hear back about what you did with no recollection at all. I passed out in the bathroom while we had dinner guests over, they left thinking I had gone to bed, I emerged several hours later, finished my wine and went to bed. Didn't remember any of it in the morning. My hubby was especially unhappy when I'd have zero recollection of our "romantic" encounters. Not a real nice feeling for him.

Definitely scary. Hopefully it will give you some reason to think about what you want to do about drinking.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you!
Old 06-18-2011, 07:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I am so glad you are here.

Blackouts are scary. The two or so I dealt with scared me enough to bring me into the rooms.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was a blackout drinker and you're right, it is scary. What happened in my last blackout is I took a big bottle of pills and came to in the ER, a huge black bruise on my face, my stomach pumped. I was alone and a close friend, who had a key to my apartment, got worried when I didn't answer the phone, called an ambulance. If he didn't I'd be dead.

To this day I don't know why I decided to do that.

Alcoholism is a progressive disease and blackouts are part of it. I hope it does scare you; I was so terrified I've been going to AA meetings for almost 20 years. Because I know if I pick up I can die.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was a blackout drinker for years.
Woke up in strange places. Came out of the blackout to find myself somewhere I don't remember going to. Bar fights I don't remember. The list goes on ad infinum

Blackouts are a sign of serious alcohol abuse, and are not to be taken lightly.
Blackouts should scare you. I'm lucky I never came out of one in jail. Purely the grace of God that I didn't.

Just remember. if you stop drinking, you'll never have another one.
I hate to see someone go through the things that I have.

Best to you.