Expecting the soil to provide the seed

Old 06-18-2011, 04:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Expecting the soil to provide the seed

This is taken from the Hazelden's "thought for the day"...

Life is like soil, not like seed. The chance of a harvest is there, but only if we plant the seed. And even then we may not get the harvest we expected or wished for - not on our own timetable. It is an act of faith, and of great courage, to keep on sowing seeds when we don't know what we're going to get. But it's the only chance we have. We need to stop expecting the soil to provide the seed.

That last sentence really resonated with me. There are so many times that I can see where I prepared the soil and really tended it. Somehow though, I missed the fact that I had planted the soil with a pebble instead of a seed. No matter how much you water and fertilize a pebble it's just not going to grow. I suppose this is another version of the saying "don't try and buy bread at the hardware store".

Today I am working on being more conscious, realistic, and practical about recognizing where to put my efforts in relationships. I might like going into the hardware store but all I'm ever going to get there is hardware....never the bread that I really want and am hungry for. Novel thought, huh? Go to where you have a chance of getting what you want.

Instead of figuring out where the bread store is I've spent my time either at the hardware store or planting magical pebbles in my well tended soil....just hoping that those rocks would grow. And they never do. And they never will. Do I really want to keep doing that? I think not.

So, nothing changes if nothing changes. What I want can't grow if I keep filling up my soil with rocks instead of seeds....there's no room.

Can you tell that I got up way too early this morning?????? I'm sitting here at 7:24 am making up analogies about rocks, soil, bread, and hardware stores. Just waiting until 10:00 when I can go over to my "old" house and finish packing it out. Will be sure to leave all of the toilets, however.....
Old 06-18-2011, 05:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

boy O boy did i ever need this message today. Thanks So Much!
Old 06-18-2011, 05:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lightseeker View Post
Can you tell that I got up way too early this morning??????
Sounds to me like you got up just right... some good insights happening.

CLMI
Old 06-18-2011, 07:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

I love the bright light moments 1st thing in the morning...always with a coffee! (lol)

thanks for sharing!!