Notices

Booze still in your house?

Old 06-17-2011, 09:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Booze still in your house?

Just wondering who else still has alcohol/their drug of choice in their house while recovering??

i would have poured it out but when i was a kid i remmeber my mother telling me about her uncle quitting smoking (he smoked quite heavily) and for the rest of his life always keeping a pack of smokes in his front pocket, almost like having the temptation there at all times, but showing you're strong enough to beat it. I really liked the idea of that, so i didn't dump anything and have been living with it in plain site.

I recently however did move the beers out of the fridge because it's not really practical when i had food i'd actually like to go there.

other than that i would say the first few days i would look at the beers, pick them up then place them back. after that the curiosity in them faded and i put them away. i'm on 18 days now and don't really care to drink anything.

im having questions whether or not im an alcoholic or problem drinker, i have no idea. I've never blacked out, always stopped after the 8 drink mark because i "knew better", never affected my work or family life. But i suppose, if i didn't think i had a problem i wouldn't be here, or maybe i came here for some answers myself?

oh well, either way!
i'm keeping those proverbial "smokes in the front of my pocket" to remind myself i'm strong enough to over come anything, so far has been working! even though my beers are literally 10 feet away, i could care less

hope you all find your answers too

thanks for taking the time to read these random thoughts in my head. hah

I have however been enjoying sobriety and the constructive time i've had with it
Old 06-17-2011, 09:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm a non drinker, so I don't have alcohol in my house. I ask that others respect that too.

D
Old 06-17-2011, 09:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't need to weigh out if I'm a problem drinker or not. I know that by keeping alcohol in my house it would entice me to lose my mind and my sobriety. It would be a constant nagging numbness in my head just knowing how easy it could be. I am just so much happier now...and just can't phathom the idea of tempting fate.
I wish you continued success with your plan.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've kept alcohol in my house before during attempts to get sober. To me drawing an analogy between keeping cigarettes around and keeping alcohol in your house isn't a fair analogy. - just my opinion.

I've struggled with quitting smoking before and had some success keeping smokes around, only because if I had one and really didn't want to have another I could just be disappointed at myself for 'giving in'.

With alcohol, once I gave in and took that first drink I inevitably ended up consuming everything I had in my house and went looking for more, was hungover the next day and needed some hair of the dog to take the edge off. By that evening I was drunk again....that was my experience, I could never get out of the cycle until I was wiling to break it completely.

I hope that works for you. I'd be asking myself - what am I trying to prove and is it worth it?
Old 06-17-2011, 10:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I find that the less I think about alcohol the better off I am, its not in my house now and dont need it there ever.

I hope it works for you, I tried that too, sometimes I drew a poison sign on the beers with a marker and kept them hot, in the end they were drank.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
instant

my wife drinks wine a couple of time a week (one or two glasses). I am comfortable with it. Alcohol is everywhere in our society you can't avoid it, but your home is your place- you make the rules. In the past I would have found it useful to have it around to "de-sensitise" myself and build up my resolve..............(I've relapsed often LOL). I am trying to move to a position where I do not have any relationship with alcohol at all ie am completely neutral about it (but still resolved not to use).

What ever you're doing it's currently working for you........how you feel may change in time
Old 06-17-2011, 11:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For the first 4 or so years, no alcohol in the house. DH would drink with friends somewhere else or on business trips etc. DH occasionally drinks at the house now and has a bottle liquor in the house, it doesn't bother me anymore.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There is still alcohol in my house. Just because I stopped drinking doesn't mean that everyone that I live with has as well. They drink responsibly and are respectful of my decision to abstain. I have become comfortable with it and I guess that is a good thing. After all, we live in a world where alcohol is every where and you cant go around avoiding it forever.

That being said . . . I'm not sure keeping alcohol in the house as a means of proving something to yourself (or anyone else for that matter) serves much of a purpose. I think its a little foolish actually. If I lived by myself or with people who don't drink there would be no alcohol in my home. Period. What would be the point? I think trying to prove your own strength over alcohol is a waste of time, especially if you have already come to terms with the fact that you have a problem.

I would ditch the booze. Just my two cents.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When I first quit I got rid of all the alcohol in my house but now that I'm past my daily struggles with not drinking my wife has a few bottles of wine in the house. They just sit there gathering dust and are more decoration than temptation for me. Those first couple months.....um, that would not have been the case.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I haven't drunk since 17th May but we still have 6 bottles of beer in the fridge, 30 bottles in the garage, half bottle of red wine in the cupboard and a half a bottle white wine in the fridge....strange but it hasn't bothered me, I haven't been tempted even if I have poured the wife a glass.

I can see how it could be a problem for some though, everyone seems to be different.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Bill Wilson, one of AA's cofounders, used to keep a bottle of whiskey around for similar reasons - to prove he could beat the temptation. Whatever works for you, but personally I'd rather have to work a lot harder to beat the temptation, like get dresse, go to the car, start it, drive to a store/bar etc. I have failed often enough doing all these things I don't need to simply walk to the fridge. Just MHO.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

For me i have re-connected into family again and have relationships with them i never thought were possible, i am now in my 21 year old daughter's life who i met for the first time 3 months ago and have some good friends now...most people don't understand what an alcoholic is, they just associate it with booze...now if i have changed and the person that i was is not the person i am now and that is why i am fortunate enough to have all these new relationships then what sort of message do you think it would send to anyone by having booze in my house...not a good one, would it be?
Old 06-18-2011, 04:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I just recently threw away the cigarettes I kept around when I quit ten months ago. They were an integral part of quitting. In my cabinet I have: An almost full bottle of red wine, an unopened bottle of white wine. In fridge I have two bottles of beer left here by someone else, and two bottles that I left in there. I'll probably dump or cook with the red wine and give the unopened stuff to the neighbor when I feel like it.

The thing is this: If I go more than two blocks from my house, I encounter a bar or liquor store. When I leave the office my coworkers ask me to go get a beer. Alcohol is going to be present in my life to some extent, yes, like cigarettes are. I have to get used to it and not dumping the wine down the drain is actually strengthening my resolve.

If I am going to drink, the decision starts before I get my hands on the wine, and could just as easily be made in any of the above circumstances. At some point I suppose I won't have any alcohol in the house, because I won't drink. Right now the leftovers are helping me.... in a convoluted way.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

My response to the 'I can get to a liquor store easy enough' scenario is...sure you can.

But I always figured I'd have to walk out of my house and go and get it....there's many opportunities there to weight the situation up and decide against the idea.

If it's in your house, you just have to open it and it's done.
We all know the peculiar gravitational pull of an open bottle.

Cravings can be a split second thing and sometimes a split second is all takes to make the wrong decision....

been there done that.

D
Old 06-18-2011, 05:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcoem to our newer members...hope you find SR as benficial as I do.

I keep both my mind and home clutter free....that means I discarded items that no longer suited my lifestyle.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I haven't had alcohol in the house since I stopped drinking, and we never serve it here either.

And, yes you can get to the liquor store easily enough, but I remember those nights, at 3AM, unable to sleep, huge anxiety, and I'm glad I didn't have the option of alcohol in the house. It makes life simpler.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I totally agree, that everyone is different. I have always had a pack of cigarettes in the freezer when I have quit. No problem.

We have a wine fridge that holds "special" bottles of wine from our travels, etc. I never even thought to touch those when I was drinking - I don't really consider it accessible at all.

However, open liquor or every day wine or beer in the fridge? No way. I couldn't handle it right now. I had a half open bottle of wine in the fridge for my first 5 days and someone here told me to go and dump it and I did. I'm fine with the drinking around me, but I now know that anything that is free to drink would be too much for me right now. I have too much time by myself here. Dee is right, there is a buffer of me getting in the car and getting to the store. My friend came over a week ago and while I opened his wine and poured it for him with no problem - I made him take the half bottle home with him. No strength yet on that front and I don't trust myself.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My wife likes to have a glass or two of wine in the evening so there are always several bottles available to me in the kitchen should I choose to go off the rails. But, for some reason, I have not found any temptation in having the wine so closely available to me.

I can certainly understand why others would not want alcohol anywhere in their house but, perhaps strangely, it is just not an issue for me. For me, the battle is entirely in my mind so my task is to maintain a constant vigilance over my urges. Availability or non-availability of the enemy does not seem to matter that much.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:02 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
★May 13,2011★

My husband has beer in the fridge and it doesn't bother me one bit.I think it does actually help to have it there (for me at least)
I look at it now and it just looks disgusting to me.and sometimes when my husband is having a drink I can smell it and almost gag...I can't believe I drank that stuff...it just doesn't appeal to me anymore...
Old 06-18-2011, 08:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I couldn't have stayed sober if I had alcohol in my home. It's the constant reminder and temptation. And, it's too easy to drink in an impulsive moment. While I may think I won't drink, it doesn't mean I won't.