Notices

donald trump on alcohol..

Old 06-17-2011, 10:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

donald trump on alcohol..

whether or not you like/dislike/care about the guy, i think the quote below is quite interesting:

I learned a lot from my brother Fred's death. He was a great-looking guy. He had the best personality. He had everything. But he had a problem with alcohol and cigarettes. He knew he had the problem, and it's a tough problem to have. He was ten years older than me, and he would always tell me not to drink or smoke. And to this day I've never had a cigarette. I've never had a glass of alcohol. I won't even drink a cup of coffee. I just stay away from those things because he had such a tremendous problem. Fred did me a great favor. It's one of the greatest favors anyone's ever done for me.

I've never understood why people don't go after the alcohol companies like they did the tobacco companies. Alcohol is a much worse problem than cigarettes.
1. please don't do this kind of "favor" to anyone
2. i'm sure he goes to a lot of social events where alcohol is flowing, but he doesn't give-in
3. i was watching tv the other day, and every single show had someone drinking something (it's mind-boggling)
4. just recently i ventured to a pharmacy where right next to the medicine isle they had racks of wine... it's almost funny, in a sad way
Old 06-17-2011, 10:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by serious View Post
4. just recently i ventured to a pharmacy where right next to the medicine isle they had racks of wine... it's almost funny, in a sad way
I worked for a guy not long ago who was a head of our local area NHS (National Health System for you none-UK guys ).

He actually said that the problem of alcoholism has been fully recognised yet. In his NHS trust, they were long term planning to deal with the effects but it was only clear that they would not be able to afford it within their current budgets.

He said that most people who have a drinking problem don't even have any idea - even those who many of us here would consider "normal drinkers" consume too much...

In this country, the TV is flooded with 3 boxes of beer for X and 3 bottles of wine for X - alcohol is cheaper than fuel for your car, unbelievably.

Even now, despite the attempts of the government to control consumption through high taxation, the supermarkets are defeating this by selling many alcholic products at a loss - because they know full well, getting people through the door means they will spend on other items where they will make the markup back....

It's all wrong
Old 06-17-2011, 12:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What I find hypocritical is that Trump says this and then has his own line of VODKA.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I find it surprising that a man of his caliber can avoid drinking alcohol. It's really none of my business. But look at him as an inspiration for someone that hasn't got caught up in the webs of booze...he does well, has a nice closeknit family and has succeeded in most areas except his hair.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The Trump Vodka was not doing well and he wanted to back out of it. Trump is really a bad person and if things don't go well he will do everything to get out of it.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Trump has his good and his bad.
The good side get's a big boost from this one for sure.

From my perspective, I've been sober almost 3 years now and I think way more clearly now than when I was a year sober, much much more clearly than 90 days sober etc.
I can just imagine have never been drunk.
No wonder he's been able to negotiate successfully.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing that quote. I had no idea that DT didn't drink. It's really cool! It's actually really uplifted my day!
Old 06-17-2011, 01:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What's interesting about this again? This guy isn't promoting a healthy alcohol/drug free life style. He is promoting himself. He even finds a way to make his brother's death about himself. "He did me a great favor." What an ass.

And he obviously tried to promote Trump Vodka (thanks Act1on) until it failed.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

had no idea about the vodka. that is very hypocritical, indeed.

personally, i don't care much for him one way or another... i just found it interesting because he claims to have never touched liquor and certainly he is always around events and socials where there is plenty of booze.

despite his hair and personality one can learn a lesson about not touching alcohol at a social event, which is a big fear for many in recovery. i guess the point, which can be taken away, is that there is a certain amount of willpower that is always required to win.

if i was surrounded by any other drug (as we all are by alcohol), i'd probably give into that as well... "hey, everyone else is doing it!". that's a bad, bad mentality.

... and he was able to learn once and for all, from his brother's mistake. perhaps we can learn from our own or each other's.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Agreed. Another big fear for people in recovery is that they'll be insulting someone's cultural traditions or someone's family if they refuse alcohol. Clearly Donald Trump refused alcohol in any number of countries and situations on his way up the ladder and that didn't hurt his success.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just can't take anything serious for what Donald Trump says. I can't find any information on his Brother Fred Jr. So I don't know if he had an alcohol program. He could have but like what Stride34 said he is out for himself only.

For us it would be hard to stay away from alcohol (drugs for some of us) when leaving that type of lifestyle but when a person never drink it's pretty easy to stay away from alcohol in social event.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ACT10Npack View Post
I just can't take anything serious for what Donald Trump says. I can't find any information on his Brother Fred Jr. So I don't know if he had an alcohol program. He could have but like what Stride34 said he is out for himself only.

For us it would be hard to stay away from alcohol (drugs for some of us) when leaving that type of lifestyle but when a person never drink it's pretty easy to stay away from alcohol in social event.
i definitely see your point, but on the flip side... let's think back to how we started.
i am almost positive that i didn't just sit at home and thought to myself: "you know, i think i am going to have me some liquor... ". pretty sure it was some sort of event, where people around me were getting drunk and i figured to do the same.

it's all about making choices and making the right choices.

it is definitely harder for people in recovery because the temptation is greater, even without outside influence.

i think during my attempt 729 at stopping drinking i would go to the restaurant and when someone would offer me alcohol i would politely reply: "sorry, i don't drink". i do not recall ever being looked down at for that, instead there was a certain sense of admiration.

of course, everyone's mileage will vary.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've heard that Trump dddidnt drink before but I thought it was his father who had the problem. I'm not a fan of him and frankly don't like him...but if he put his money where his mouth was and actively promoted sobriety instead of vodka id respect him more...oh wait...you can't make any money promoting sobriety....
Old 06-18-2011, 12:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

There is a huge percentage of the population that don't drink for varying reasons, mostly they make the sane, rational choice that it doesn't agree with them...the first time i got in trouble through drinking, if i had been a sane, mature adult, i would have not drank again...so comparisons to people that are of a sound mind are absolutely useless for anyone who has promised themselves not to drink again and broken that promise to themselves even if this has occurred only a few times in their lifetimes...
Old 06-18-2011, 01:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Yea....once I deeply understood that I could change my retched drunken behavior by embracing a new willful direction, I was once again in control of the direction of where I wanted my life to go.

I promised myself to never drink again...and lo and behold one day I fulfilled that promise. It took a massive long time of being duped that I could not change on my own...ha what drivel I found that to be.