Notices

Today I read on SR that resonated....

Old 06-17-2011, 06:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today I read on SR that resonated....

What did you read today on SR that really gave you that "ah ha!" moment?

Today I read on SR: "I recently learned that I tend to get infatuated with the players/manipulators because they offer me instant gratification to the validation I desire. They are the ones who say exactly what I want to hear as soon as they meet me and all of a sudden I am planning our future because I feel they "get" me."

That was something I really needed to think about today.

What did YOU read??
Old 06-17-2011, 07:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For me it's really a compilation ~ like many pieces of a large puzzle.

However, the best place for me to go when I feel like I'm losing myself is the gratitude threads, no doubt!!
Old 06-17-2011, 07:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
6/20/08

That's the thing about SR. It makes you think. It can keep you sober.

We can manipulate those we love.....but we can't manipulate a forum that will call bull crap on our bull crap.

I'll be interested to read other replies, Dancing Girl!
Old 06-17-2011, 07:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

Lordy, what doesn't resonate!

This one hit me right between the eyes:
Originally Posted by mama36 View Post
I was never wrong about what drinking was doing...at least not in the last few years. I knew it was hurting me, I knew it was killing me, I knew it was making me a horrible person and that it was hurting my family, my physcial being, my job, my mental state. The thing that I was wrong about is that I could moderate like normal people do. It's funny because for years I would cry the next day, which was nearly every day, and tell my husband that I shouldn't be doing this and that I was WRONG to think I could. By the afternoon each day the shakes would be so bad and the emotions so horrible but all it took was a small talk with hubby so that he could convince me that I was just being too hard on myself for having a good time. OMG when did blacking out, falling off of your chair flat on your face and breaking your nose become a good time...but off I would go again. Maybe he is right and I am being hard on myself, maybe it is just my ocd...holy sh't...WRONG.

People who don't have problems with drinking are wonderful and they love us, but for me they were not the people to turn to when it was too hard to not have another drink to ease the shakes and the emotions...they made more excuses for me than I ever could have made for myself.

Today I am not wrong in knowing that I CAN'T drink or it will kill me.

D.
I am so grateful to be here and grateful for y'all.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

bellakeller: thanks! I love reading that!

So good to get these tidbits!
Old 06-17-2011, 08:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, " they get me". But you find out later that like alcohol, it's one big lie to get what they want. Strangers on SR are the ones that truly get me.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"People who aren't alcoholics don't lie awake at night wondering if they are alcoholics" --Caroline Knapp, Drinking: A Love Story

Grateful posted this on a previous thread. I will always go back to this quote!
Old 06-17-2011, 11:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I am reminded just how simple a treatment plan can be to undo a lifetime of maladaptive addiction behaviors with the will to choose a new healthy lifestyle free from the influence of liquor or dope.
Originally Posted by Murray4x5 View Post
I can say with near absolute certainty that I would never have stayed sober without this website...it is my only "program" besides my researching and understanding the biological/psychological reasons for my addiction.
Thanks Murray

Today I will use all my innate abilities to keep myself free form the absolute hell addiction was for me.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Today I needed to read: "as we heal, we carry ourselves differently, we give out healthier signals and as a result, we begin to attract healthier people.". Thank you!!!
Old 06-18-2011, 06:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Beginning and ending my SR time with the gratitude Forum.....always gives me hope ...inspiration and serenity.....
Old 06-18-2011, 07:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

There is not one thing in particular that resonates -it ALL does. It is all a process of the battles of this disease. The struggles, the feelings, the triumphs, the pain, the never ending constant attempts to remain in a happy place.
I feel for the ones struggling. I keep them in my thoughts. I am joyfull for the successes with a promise and inspiration of recovery. It all affects my sobriety.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Whenever I read a posting from a beginner I remember what it was like. And, I remember it's the beginners tools that are the most important to maintain sobriety.