Notices

Breakup, Moving, Birthday = Trigger Fest

Old 06-16-2011, 08:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Breakup, Moving, Birthday = Trigger Fest

Tomorrow is my birthday (hate them!). The next day, I will be moving out of the apartment I shared with the 6-year boyfriend I have just broken up with. Any one of those things by itself would be a trigger for me, but taken as a group - well, it's a challenge. Looking for a little strength, advice and/or words of support. Thank you!!!
Old 06-16-2011, 08:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, you must have broken up with him for good reasons, so all well and good.

Birthday - I heard at an AA meeting last night that a man's kids EXPECTED their Dad to get drunk on their birthdays, so he started to prove them wrong.

So...YOU please prove everyone wrong...I hear iced tea is good, try THAT.

I do.

Kelly
Old 06-16-2011, 09:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry things are "piling on" at this time. Sometimes seems like these challenges come in groups and hardly give you time to catch your breath. You'll be so proud and so much stronger when you make it through this time without giving into the circumstances. Hold your head up and take control of how you respond to them.

Birthdays can be tough but try to remember that having them beats the alternative : )
Take advantage of the opportunity to treat yourself to something nice. Sometimes just having one of my favorite meals, a favorite dessert or even doing a fun activity that I usually don't do can do wonders to get past an urge.

Do ANYTHING other than giving into your addiction. Then, once it has passed, be sure to let us know how proud you are and how relieved you are after you successfully navigate this portion of your journey.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Try to work on one thing at a time, I know it won't be easy but break the big stuff down into smaller steps and take each one at at time. You can do it and think how much easier it will be clear mined without the haze and pain of alcohol.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alcohol won't make the move any easier, or your Birthday any better. In my experience Alcohol DID make me a drunken fool. Saying and doing things I regretted. Whenever I had problems and I drank, they became amplified a hundred percent. There is NO situation that drinking will help you with.

Stay on course and hold your head up. When you reflect back, wouldn't you like to be proud of yourself, rather than regret your behavior? You can do this GracieJane!

Best Wishes To You!
Old 06-16-2011, 09:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ooh, good luck moving in this nasty heat and humidity! I was miserable walking my dog yesterday! (I feel like those of us in NOLA are the only ones who can really understand the sauna that is the outdoors!)

Just think about how bad moving would be if you were hungover through it! You can do it!!
Old 06-16-2011, 10:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

GracieJane - don't you have any SOBER friends and family you can have your birthday celebration with?

I pray and hope so, for your sake.

Kelly
Old 06-16-2011, 10:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Defying Gravity - I don't know if you heard but the heat index was 101 at 9 am!!! However, i want out so bad I would move through flames.

Kelly - As for the birthday, I'm having dinner with friends and going home. They are going out afterwards, and that's just fine with me. And no, I don't have any sober friends. Hoping to meet some in AA.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, things happen for a reason...so I would just take a deep breath, don't push things and let them fall into place and you'll be fine.
Birthdays are nothing special for me anymore. While I was still drinking (last year) I had worked and came home for a few beers but didn't get drunk. This year I'll work...sober! LOL
They come and go...no reason to make a deal out of it...just stay sober and be happy and know that you can overcome anything in your life -if sober.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your troubles GracieJane - really bad timing.
I'd rather deal with all of this sober tho than drinking as well, wouldn't you?

You know what the right direction for you is - stick with it

D
Old 06-16-2011, 03:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

GracieJane,

You will be stronger for going through this.

When I was a couple of months into recovery, I went through an awful crisis. My daughter, 19 at the time, was being stalked by a stranger. It was so scary and horrible, but I knew that if I got through that, I could get through anything.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Servant of God

Try to breathe and go slow. You are in a danger zone and I can definitely relate. Try not to get caught up in the emotions of it all. You are already aware of it so you will get through it.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

In tough times you need to be at your best. You are defintely not at your best with an altered mind. Stay strong.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

:day1 Hope you can just relax and enjoy your dinner out. Like Bikeguy said, take it one day/thing (one box!) at a time and try not to overwhelm yourself. I found out after getting sober that I wasn't very patient with myself - I always want thing done or changed now..... and I've been trying to make myself slow down and stay in the moment. That, and gratitude, have really helped me when things start getting to me.

Good luck moving. I'm only 2 hours from you and can't believe how hot it's been the past month......definitely "sauna" weather, so load up on the water for moving day!
Old 06-16-2011, 06:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Graciejane

I went through the same thing earlier this year, (six years together as well),The best thing I did was move, the worse was drink. You want the best life you can have, drinking will only hold you back, it is now part of your bad past.
A birthday, a new place to live, your new life starts today. So knock the worlds socks off with what a great together, sober, bright person you are.
Happy birthday and don't forget to buy yourself some bright flowers.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Having a birthday is a reason for celebration, don't hate the day. A friend of mine died yesterday (cancer). She won't be having anymore birthdays.