Notices

What activities or habits have you replaced drinking with?

Old 06-16-2011, 07:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What activities or habits have you replaced drinking with?

obviously drinking takes up time, it becomes a hobby really, and in my case I associated it with my main hobby which is being a musician/recording music.

anyway, i am 16 days without a drink now and have been filling that void with other things, which has mainly been cleaning and house keeping, i've been eating loads more.. which is probably not a good thing!! but, maybe the food cravings are my bodies was of replacing what it lost... or that's just my excuse for not feeling guilty about eating a hamburger!! I've also been playing videogames, stayed up until 2am last night playing one, had lots of fun. I've been getting out and running as well.

i've also noticed my energy levels are way up, my brain fog is just about gone. i went to a naturopath in regards to stomach/heartburn issues i've had life long (even before drinking) and am taking suppliments for that. feeling pretty good.

Also noticed in situations where i'd normally have a beer (recording music) i just pour a glass of coke, gets my sugar levels up and because i have a slight intolerance to processed sugar gives me a buzz anyway lol.. oh well hah.

what new habits or hobbies did you form?
Old 06-16-2011, 08:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've gone back to ballet...even just 30 minutes returning to the art I grew up with, seems to cleanse my spirit. Plus, knowing that I'm also toning up the body and losing that post-booze-binge weight is a bonus.
I used to drink in the evenings/nights, so I'm making sure that I stay awake during the days and going to bed early. I don't want to be awake when the house is quiet and I'm alone with my thoughts/temptations.
Awesome that you're on day 16!!! Whatever you choose to do, is definitely better than picking up that drink!
Old 06-16-2011, 08:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good post - may give me some more ideas for keeping occupied. Drinking was definitely my hobby - pastime - dysfunctional friend. Sounds like you have embraced lots of great things to keep you busy!!

I too, have been doing a lot of cleaning/organizing. Gives me some sense of peace or balance to have things in order. I have also been working a lot on my lawn and spending good quality time with my dog with more walks and play and trips to the doggie park. I'm back on my crosswords to try and get my mind moving again - along with cooking. I hear you on the eating front - I've been eating a lot but i think it's just because our bodies were trying to survive on the empty calories of the booze and now that they have been introduced to some nourishment they can't get enough. So be it. I try and at least keep it healthy with lots of fiber and whole grains and sugar-free jello for the new sweet tooth. (I was on a gummi bear rampage for awhile). Also back in the gym. And taking a more active role in finding a JOB!!! And of course, being active on SR has been a lifeline.

I think it's just taking pride in myself what is mine. I let things slip into a black hole for a long time.

I know all of these things are very simple and basic - but it's amazing how these things can provide me a sense of accomplishment. Baby steps, I guess!!
Old 06-16-2011, 08:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I replaced my focus on drinking with focusing on my dogs. Took much better care of them and lots of walks. My reward for living sober is their shiny happy healthy selves.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

At first I kept myself BUSY, doing household projects, cleaning and pretty much anything to keep my mind off drinking. Now I'm learning to slow down and enjoy life, learning being the key word, I'm not all the way there yet but I'm gaining.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In the beginning just meetings. I mix the meetings up with volunteer work (kids schools, etc.), workouts, yard work and just living life on life's terms today.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am working 35 hours a week (5 days)...with the promise of full time shortly. On my days off (Wed/Thursday) I groom dogs in my basement.
This morning I had a lady come to take the last 2 of my old goats so I don't have to return to my ex's property anymore. They have a happy farm home with lots of kids. But they were late which set me back in the morning with my grooming.
I changed the first dog appt from 10 to 11 then to 1. I called my next customer at 1 to see if he could come at 2. He didn't have any money and needed to cancel so I called a lady on my waiting list and she'll come this afternoon. Phone call from appt #1 that dog isn't feeling well and he may not come. I said wait and see how she is (she's 15) and come last. I'd like to find time to take a shower and walk my own dogs...and tonight I have AA.
This day has been crazy...LOL I have no clue where in the heck I could possibly find time to drink.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

I get out of the house a lot more now. I check out new restaurants (since it's a lot cheaper to eat out without booze!), go see movies in the theater (which I never wanted to do in the past because I'd rather just drink at home and watch TV), take long walks daily with my dog. I clean a bit more than I used to, and I work more too. Oh, and I also spend time here on SR.

Congratulations on your 16 days!
Old 06-16-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I live my life now.

In the early days I had to remember how to live. So yes...I took care of my dogs...I took care of myself....I cleaned....I redecorated....I revived my art career.

Remember what you loved before you started drinking and start there.

Congrats on 16!
Old 06-16-2011, 06:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Im over 12yrs sober and associated my guitar playing with booze. I stopped playing for 6 yrs. Then one day picked one up and thought to myself, I could have stopped drinking and still played guitar. Focus on your music, for me being sober is about enjoying the things in life I love. Guitar takes alot of my time now and of course computers. But who doesnt love computers. Keep reading all the threads, everyone is helping each other. Its awesome.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I got reaquainted with hobbies I had let slide and developed new ones. I also go to AA meetings which I didn't do while drinking.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
instant

all I have done so far is clean up my yard, do a bit of house painting, sleep and rest. We have also had house guests the last week. In the past I have gone on fitness kicks very early which I did not want to do this time as I get overconfident and that can lead me back to drinking.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Getting back to the music I loved as an young adult...and cranking it up louder now that if the apartment manages shows up...I'm good now.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Great thread! i have had to completely relearn living again. it is always changeing.. life is good!
Old 06-17-2011, 05:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

At first I spent a lot of time at the gym.. during those witching hours (evenings) that I'd typically be drinking. Attended counseling a couple times a week.. read and posted here like a madwoman..

However, after a while, once I started living my life instead of spending my days 'not drinking', I started wondering how on earth I had so much time to drink!! I guess my life just filled up naturally, which has been awesome of course
Old 06-17-2011, 09:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

good responses from everyone, gives me and others i am sure, some good ideas.

im realising more the association between music and drinking for me and how it's the main reason why i got as bad as i did. I wonder if i can play professionally again?? i just got word today i might get laid off at my job, my fall back would probably be music. I have "what it takes" to do it for a living, and have in the past. i played in a band in my early 20's that was "straight edge" minus myself, the other guys didn't drink or do drugs, and me i wouldput anything in to my body that i possibly could. lots of venues would give us beer tokens/drink tokens per band member. the other guys wouldnt take them and just give them to me, so i'd end up downing 12 + beers a night plus whatever else, really foggy memories. really amazed i was able to still play complicated music so wasted!!!!

so, this thread.. well the more ideas the better. i've still been playing music, i have a home recording studio. been fun playing, my sober thinking is a little more patient than drunk me. i have tons of ideas for recording projects. I've put a stop to recording other bands for right now because musicians DRINK. the studio is usually pot and booze fueled. I'm not a pot smoker though, not since i was a teenager.

Also i don't know about you all, but I still have booze in my house. it's in no way tempting whatsoever to me right now. i took the beers out of the fridge because they were taking up valuable food space. haha. i've been keeping busy that drinking is not currently in my daily list of things to do.

other things that i've been doing are, more outside time!
trying new foods and making new dishes at home.
stocking up my fishing gear for a trip next week!! thankfully i never associated fishing with drinking like so many, so it won't be a trigger for me.
playing videogames has been fun.
also i have been running 4k every couple of days, i cant everyday because of a bad knee.

i've been coming here and reading stuff about once a day.

all of that stuff!!
Old 06-17-2011, 10:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

ya know, Invisible...you've mentioned twice about the beer in the house. It takes valuable energy to think about it and even type it out...maybe removing the beer would be a productive idea. Just saying...
Old 06-18-2011, 03:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
ya know, Invisible...you've mentioned twice about the beer in the house. It takes valuable energy to think about it and even type it out...maybe removing the beer would be a productive idea. Just saying...
you have a good point,
maybe another activity this week i can do is decide which friend i'm going to give them too
Old 06-18-2011, 10:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by invisibledrunk View Post
you have a good point,
maybe another activity this week i can do is decide which friend i'm going to give them too
Maybe just pour it down the drain while you're deciding!
Old 06-18-2011, 10:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

i am a musician too, i still drink, and i was realizing today that it fills in space and really does become a hobby if not a profession by now anyways i amlooking forward to eating right and becoming active