Notices

Day of gratitude.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day of gratitude.

It's day 44. My so called 'boyfriend" of 5 years has yet to ask me how I am doing or even speak to me about my recovery or my feelings. I'm not going to let that get me down though. My 22 year old daughter text me today telling me how proud she is of me for sticking with it and that she is glad to have her mom back. My cup runneth over.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Day 44, that's awesome!!!

I'm glad your daughter is giving you the praise you deserve. I'm sure she's happy to have her parent back. That recognition goes a long way, huh? My husband doesn't really say anything either (11 days today) which is probably why I am here so much because there is so much support. Keep it up!!
Old 06-15-2011, 08:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Programmaddict

It's a tough break. Your program and your recovery is your business.
I feel twinges of resent when my wife questions me about meeting topics and such.
I view that stuff in her life as simply none of my business, even if she is talking about it.

While I make a big point to stay out of her business I do make sure to encourage and understand. Last night was her 30th day so I took her out to dinner to celebrate. I also occasionally ask sincere questions about her feelings. For example, I was curious how it felt when she came home from treatment.

I've found that for both of us we are really good at wanting something but not asking for it. I cannot expect her to read my mind or to really to even notice I'm hurting unless I say it kindly and ask plainly for what I need. I'll tell you now it doesn't always work immediately but it seems to work over time. I also make a point to not repeat myself so that I'm not pressing or controlling.

Keep up the good work. It's the best thing you can do for yourself and by proxy those you care for. It will only get better as long as you stick to it.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bratnik View Post
Day 44, that's awesome!!!

I'm glad your daughter is giving you the praise you deserve. I'm sure she's happy to have her parent back. That recognition goes a long way, huh? My husband doesn't really say anything either (11 days today) which is probably why I am here so much because there is so much support. Keep it up!!
Me too. I guess my usefulness has worn off. Being sober is allowing me to have clarity. I am now asking myself "What in the $%#@ were you thinking?"
Old 06-15-2011, 09:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Programmatic View Post
It's a tough break. Your program and your recovery is your business.
I feel twinges of resent when my wife questions me about meeting topics and such.
I view that stuff in her life as simply none of my business, even if she is talking about it.

While I make a big point to stay out of her business I do make sure to encourage and understand. Last night was her 30th day so I took her out to dinner to celebrate. I also occasionally ask sincere questions about her feelings. For example, I was curious how it felt when she came home from treatment.

I've found that for both of us we are really good at wanting something but not asking for it. I cannot expect her to read my mind or to really to even notice I'm hurting unless I say it kindly and ask plainly for what I need. I'll tell you now it doesn't always work immediately but it seems to work over time. I also make a point to not repeat myself so that I'm not pressing or controlling.

Keep up the good work. It's the best thing you can do for yourself and by proxy those you care for. It will only get better as long as you stick to it.
I have let him share his feelings plenty. He has no problem telling me what his needs are.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

lpnangel - Is there anyone here who HASN'T asked themselves that question????
Old 06-15-2011, 09:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bratnik View Post
lpnangel - Is there anyone here who HASN'T asked themselves that question????
LOL. I guess not on this board.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Programmaddict

Question

Originally Posted by lpnangel View Post
I have let him share his feelings plenty. He has no problem telling me what his needs are.
I get the feeling you misunderstand my direction of thinking. I hate using the word "you" but I am basically asking whether or not YOU have made it clear to him what YOUR needs are? If you haven't then it it seems rather unfair to hold it against him for him not having tried to accommodate them. I personally, find it very hard to vocalize my needs in a kind and clear manner.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I get the feeling you misunderstand my direction of thinking. I hate using the word "you" but I am basically asking whether or not YOU have made it clear to him what YOUR needs are? If you haven't then it it seems rather unfair to hold it against him for him not having tried to accommodate them. I personally, find it very hard to vocalize my needs in a kind and clear manner.
It was made very clear by his actions that it is not important what my needs are. I have stopped trying to tell him. A narcissist does not consider anyones needs but their own.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wink

Why the resentment?
Have you ever thought that maybe she is trying to make conversation or have some common ground with you?
Old 06-15-2011, 01:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on day 44 lpnangel

D