# 1 (permalink)  

question about al-anon

i was just wondering if al-anon was for loved ones of just A's
or is it also for loved ones of RA's ? prob silly question srry
Old 06-14-2011, 06:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Gabs22,

Welcome!

Al-Anon is for anyone who is affected by someone else's drinking. The drinking person may be actively drinking or in recovery, still in your life, or a person in your past, a family member, spouse, friend, co-worker -- anyone.

All are welcome to attend meetings and see if they will help you out.

It does take a while to adjust to the format, and also some meetings are a better "fit" than others as they are just groups of people there for the same reasons you are - someone else's drinking has affected them.

Al-Anon is a wonderful place to learn a lot of things about life and about yourself, and skills to navigate challenging circumstances!

CLMI
Old 06-14-2011, 07:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Definitely for both! If you are or ever were uncomfortable with someone else's drinking, you will benefit from Alanon. If your grandmother's father was an A, you can go to Alanon. It's a family disease, and reaches through the generations, whether they are still drinking or not, whether they are still alive or not. I think 90% of the world can benefit from alanon, in my opinion. It's a way of life, one I am very happy to be a part of. Find a meeting, and check it out yourself. You'll know soon enough if you qualify.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not a silly question at all.

The posts above pretty much answer your question, but I like to think of it like this:

When our loved ones - alcoholics - stop drinking, they may be giving up the "alcohol" but they still have the "ics" or ickies. By that, I mean all the icky behavior that went with drinking - lying, manipulation, evasiveness - along with just the daily struggle to keep an even keel and not drink. Al-Anon helps with that and helps us deal with our own "icks".