Notices

3 weeks sober

Old 06-14-2011, 12:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
him

Unhappy 3 weeks sober

hi,.... its been three weeks since i have drank.. these past three weeks have been the hardest of my life.. i have been drinking steadily for the past 6-7 years and more intense these past 3 months. my last binge was the one to end the drinking for me. this one hurt alot of people in my life and i finally hit rock bottom. since then ive enrolled in an outpatient rehab place, been to the ER once, my docs office for blood work and test..and still had to hold down a 9-5 job. so far its been anxiety, loneliness and depression.. i went to my first AA meeting last night..finally got the courage to ask someone at the rehab place if they knew of any close by. im fairly new at this and i never thought it was going to be this hard. sometimes i feel like im losing my mind and its only been three weeks im hoping it gets better.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Him - Start going to more AA meetings would be my suggestion. Meet new people who can relate to what your going through....we've all been there. Look around for different meetings, find ones you feel comfy at. Ask for a sponsor, start working the steps. No reason not to jump right in and hit this recovery thing as hard as you hit the bottle.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Give yourself some time, great job on the 3 weeks but if you think about it in comparison to the time you drank it's a short amount of time. Take one day at a time, take care of yourself and give yourself time to heal. It will get better.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
him

thank you... its been hard, and people tell me it gets easier in time.. almost as if all of the stored feelings and emotions from those 6-7 years are all comign out in 3 weeks. trying to reconnect with family and friends and people i hurt along the way but im trying to stay strong. ill post more as week four approaches this coming weekend.. and thank you for the words of encouragement..
Old 06-14-2011, 03:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. It's hard at first but if you work on yourself it will get better. Not necessarily easier, but better.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome him

It is hard at first - I definitely agree. I remember.

I hope that AA and SR will help make things easier for you.

D
Old 06-14-2011, 03:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, one AA meeting is a start, but it ain't much.

Many people suggest going to 90 meetings in 90 days when you start AA in order to get immersed in the program. I personally think that is pretty hard to do, particularly if you have a job and family responsibilities, and I didn't do it. But the point is you should go to alot of AA meetings, in different times and locations. When you are feeling down, go to a meeting.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi him! Congrats on 3 weeks. I think we feel as if life should be grand once we give up drinking. No problems, good health....like a miracle. lol It just doesn't work that way. It takes time for the physical and emotional issues to get resolved. Took me a good month to get my head together. We're used to not feeling anything, covering everything with alcohol. Believe me life can and does get better. You just have to give it a chance.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 06-14-2011, 04:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
him

thank you guys for the kind words.. i just reconnected with my family and they are supporting me 100 percent so that keeps me going..... im glad i found a place like this to vent.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I want to say welcome and "EASY DOES IT!" This is new for you and I know first hand the frustration of wanting to feel better.... Just yesterday I posted about how icky I feel emotionally. I had to go back and read some of my first few posts here to gain some perspective as to how far I've come in just a month.

I was a mess when I came here. I was also a mess my first few AA Meetings and needed a lot of direction from other people. Being new at anything is hard but this!!! OYE! I hope you will stick around and let us know how you are doing. Also put some questions you may have up for some of the experienced sober peeps! WELCOME!!!!
Old 06-14-2011, 04:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You have to stay strong for sure. Commited to your goal of staying clean. It will have to consume your life for awhile like the booze did. In time you will find days where you forget that you even have a problem.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

AA will help a LOT--IF you grab onto the program and work the Steps. Just going to meetings won't change you inside--though the meetings are great, and the fellowship is wonderful.

My suggestion is that you raise your hand and tell people that you are new and need to find a sponsor to help you work the Steps. That's where things will really start getting better.

Congrats on your three weeks--it DOES get better--infinitely better.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
him

thank you all for the suggestions.. i dont ever want to go through this again.. so ill have to work hard, but i have some family supprt that will help me through it.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
him

i just had the courage to come back on here after that post i did a while back.. i was sober for 3 and a half months that time and after that i thought i could do it on my own even after many people in AA and outpatient thought that wasnt a good idea.. that i wastn ready and that i couldnt do it on my own.... fast forward to dec and i found myself right back where i started from.. how they were so right about how i wasnt ready. i guess i fooled myself into thinking that it would be easy..but i finally see that i have to really want this not just for the time being but forever. so as of dec 26 i am starting over.. this time around i know more about my addiction and know more than ever that i have to try harder and do everything that i need to in order to stay sober. no lies no excuses .. currently im on my 2nd day without drinking and its been a long road and will be ahead of me.. ive lost the people that believed in me back then but ive also gained alot of strength in knowing i am still not alone and im not a lost case..ill post more of my progress soon
Old 12-28-2011, 02:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back him

D
Old 12-28-2011, 02:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back him

D
Old 12-28-2011, 02:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
him

thank you.. im staying alot longer this time.. i have been lurking these past couple of months on here..but its finally time to get this right..
Old 12-28-2011, 03:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

3 weeks is awesome. You have already come so far, thats a great accomplishment.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
him

thank you
Old 12-28-2011, 05:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome back!

I'm sober now but I sure didn't "get it" on my first try (nor my second, or third . . . ). You just need to keep working at sobriety, it does get easier.