OT piercings and tattoos :D

Old 06-13-2011, 08:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Wink OT piercings and tattoos :D

So now I decided I will work from home most of the time, given how less stressed I am without EXABF around and how better I feel, overall. My team is in the US anyway so no one misses me in our local office

This gives me the chance to put again my eyebrow piercing which I loved when I had it and I am more and more interested in a tattoo .. perhaps a small one in the arm, or in my back... so if I need to dress up or go back to work in a professional environment sometime, it is not a problem...

Anyone here has piercings (other than in the ears!) or tattoos? do you regret the tattoos?
Old 06-13-2011, 09:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No piercings.

I have a tattoo on the inside of my right ankle. No regrets. I might get another one some day. Something that incorporates the four boys somehow.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Did it hurt Thumper? how cool, what is it if you don't mind me asking?
Old 06-13-2011, 10:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Tattoo, dragon, on my right arm. It's about six inches long. It's not huge, but not some dainty thing that for me I would end up asking what's the point?

No regrets. when I can afford to, I want to get another one on my left thigh to cover up the skin graft scars I have.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

I have a friend that just got her 3rd tattoo and from you 2 I am getting convinced that once you get the first one its easier to get a second one

I would like a dragon, or a phoenix, or a tiger on my back...I know, very original hahaha... and a tribal one on an arm ....

Did it hurt enough to cry? or was it bearable?

Did your family freak out and did you tell them beforehand? or did you just appear with it already there?
Old 06-14-2011, 02:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Mine is a cross with a rose winding across it. That is sort of 'dated' but I've had it for 20 years so.....I am dated!

No I didn't think it hurt all that much. It was a long time ago but certainly no tears or anything. It was done all in one sitting.

I just appeared with it. No one freaked out or anything - maybe rolled their eyes a little bit. My brother promptly went out and got one so he may have freaked out a bit that his sister got one first

I think you are right, get one and it is easier to get another. I went with a friend and we both got our first and she has since gotten one or two more.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've wanted a tattoo for the longest time, I just can't settle on the art. My brother has a beautiful Oriental dragon on one of his sides. I went with him to get the first round of work. He said it 'stung a bit,' and he didn't really look too, too uncomfortable. A friend got a small Kokopelli (spelling?) on her ankle near the top of her foot, which she said hurt like h-ll.

In my Mother's heritage, there's a history of women (generations back) getting tattoos on their faces or the back of their hands. (Lines on their chin or forehead or designs on the side of their faces.) I'm thinking that even if it's a heritage thing, the tattoos on the face would be hard to pass off in corporate America. I'm intrigued though and researching the history more.

As far as telling my family before hand... If I go with tattooing the back of my hand, or on an arm or leg, I'd probably tell every one before. If I actually do decide to get one on my face, I'd probably just do it.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

As far as pain goes, from what I heard it depends on where you get one as to how "bad" it can get. The one on my arm didn't hurt too much, felt more like a bad scrap, kind of like the ones I got as a kid falling off my bike.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Uncertainty -

My son has his own shop in GA -
I could PM you his web address -
He's quite authoritative on the history of tattooing.

(wonder where he gets that?)

Old 06-14-2011, 06:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I used to be heavily involved in the tattoo community here in town. I have had many piercings (most of them are removed now except for a few "extra" ear piercings) and I have several tattoos.

The foot tattoo is of a group of stars, which I got after having five family and friends die within a year. It was a sad time and I wanted to get something to remember them by. This is an extremely painful spot because there's no extra fat or flesh on your foot, so it feels like it's just getting carved in my razor. Not kidding.

The arm tattoo was not painful at all, but it wasn't well thought out. It was of a black bird, and over time turned into a black blob. I'm getting it lightened by laser (which is way worse than getting tattooed, for real). I'm at a point now where it could either be covered or I could keep with the laser treatments until its gone. I admit missing the ability to wear sleeveless shirts in the office, etc.

The back tattoo is pretty extravagant and attention-getting. It's of a series of orchids in pink and orange with Victorian scroll lines, and it starts above my butt and loops up around my hips and down both sides of my legs. It took about 20 hours in the tattoo chair to complete. I've had it for about ten years and it still looks good, even fifty pounds and one pregnancy later, but it could use some touch-ups just to brighten it back up.

My advice -- take it as you will -- is to pick a fleshy part of the body that is not visible to the rest of the world 75+% of the time. Think torso or upper legs. Even the most die hard tattoo collectors that I know regret their tattoos some of the time, usually due to professional or social obligations where tattoos aren't socially accepted, and also because fashions change and what was an awesome tattoo fifteen years ago is cliche today.

I could talk about this all day. I'll shut up now unless you want me to keep going.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Tattoos and piercings, oh my!

Its true we codies truly are a bunch of masochists. If we can't find a partner to abuse us we'll pay a complete stranger to stick us with needles!

I spent almost 3 years in the Marine Corps and never got a tattoo and at my current age of 57 I can picture what one I would get now would look like in 10 or 15 years. I assume tattoos of raisins aren't cool and that's what it would end up looking like.

Instead I get my weekly allocation of pain by training Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu 3 times a week.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm a diabetic who used to give herself 4+ shots a day and is now on an insulin pump.....that's enough "needle play" for me!
Old 06-14-2011, 10:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My daughter has a tattoo on her hip of a bird where her pants sit on her hips. I like the placement. You can only see it when she is wearing a swimsuit or her shirt rides up
Old 06-14-2011, 11:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

<---------------Fully sleeved on both arms. Wrist to top of shoulder all the way around. Starting framework for rib-piece and backplate.

Armpits hurts.
Inside elbow hurts.
Wrist bone hurts.
Outline is worse than 16 point shaders.
8 hour sessions hurts.

I regret a few but that's cause they're old and done by hacks. Since those days, I've stuck with 1 and only 1 artist. The old hack jobs have already been covered up or in the process.

Fashion and what's cool 15 years ago isn't cool today? I say hogwash to that thinking. What's cool to you will always be cool to you unless the work was bad. You start getting tattoos based on fashion or coolness as dictated by others, you've already failed.

FWIW - I work corporate. Suit and tie.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shellcrusher View Post
I regret a few but that's cause they're old and done by hacks. Since those days, I've stuck with 1 and only 1 artist.
Word!

People say this all the time and it gets ignored anyway. Do your homework on the shop and artist you choose. You get what you pay for. Don't go cheap. Good artists charge what they are worth unless you're getting the friend/girlfriend discount, for real.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wow.. I've got one, put am planning on getting another one. i would post a pic, but i can't seem to figure out how to do that... so frustrating, none of my pictures ever come through. Upload failed.

Damn, shellcrusher, you're like a certified bad ass in a suit. I'm strangely attracted to you now, just from reading the above post.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have two tattoos. Small, well placed as to not be in the face of the professionals I work with. For me - they are a rite of passage of sorts - reminders of lessons learned. I love them both.

I was thinking of getting another small one, as another reminder of a lesson learned recently. But I do go back and forth on it as I get older.

It hurts, but its not bad...the longest I was in the chair was 45 minutes. I did childbirth twice for much longer than that! Go for it! Have fun!
Old 06-15-2011, 07:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Word!

People say this all the time and it gets ignored anyway. Do your homework on the shop and artist you choose. You get what you pay for. Don't go cheap. Good artists charge what they are worth unless you're getting the friend/girlfriend discount, for real.
This is true but I experienced a strange thing. While researching shops and artists, I found one and set a consultation to meet him. Upon arrival, I realized that I wasn't doing the interview. He was making sure that I was a client he wanted to have. Totally different game. He can move anywhere he wants. I'll fly to him for my work.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Ok I am emailing "THE" tattoo shop in Bangkok which was recommended to me (actually they have REALLY good artists over here) and actually asked a friend if she could go with me to get it one day next week!! the place is certified and everything...

I want a tribal phoenix on the back of the left shoulder.

I am worried about jumping on the plane after getting it though - questions about after care - but the more I read and see the more excited I get!! thanks for your suggestions.. will keep you posted... I am deciding now on the specific artwork...

My family will raise eyebrows when they find out but wearing normal t shirts and office attire would hide it, it would only be visible with strapless dresses, or sporty tshirts, or swimsuits and neither family nor coworkers are nearby when I wear those ..

OMG I am so excited!!!!!
Old 07-02-2011, 06:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Now if I can only come up with a reason as to why I need to be away for some hours...