Notices

163 Days Sober

Old 06-13-2011, 03:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question 163 Days Sober

Hello all, I just signed up today and it feels great to be here!

I quit drinking on New Years Eve after years of putting my life into the bottle. I wasn't the everyday drinker but every time I did drink I never had any control over it. I am an Alcoholic for sure and suffer from alcoholism. A few reasons why I knew I needed to stop: I lost two jobs because of my drinking, I got a DUI (after years of drinking and driving), my family began to worry about my drinking, I spent most of my paycheques on alcohol and I began to feel that I was becoming more and more trapped in my alcohol induced world so enough was enough.

I have gone 163 days sober on my own, no support groups or anything like that. The first 30 days of being sober were quite challenging and I refrained from going places where I knew temptations were present and I was successful. From the end of January to mid-May I felt better than I've felt since I could remember. I was happy go lucky, tons of energy, I felt like a new person.

Since Mid-May till now however have been real crappy. I've been sad and depressed for no apparent reason. My 23rd birthday was this past weekend and I wanted to have a few drinks so bad to just try it out and see what happened but I knew that was a bad idea and toughed it out and didn't drink. I have been down in the dumps lately and hate it.

Are these emotional rollercoasters normal in the recovery process? I'm lost and feel like I'm losing my mind, I just want to be happy go lucky again, not hell in a hand basket. Any ideas SR Community??!?!?
Old 06-13-2011, 03:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi snakes
welcome!

Congratulations on your sober time

I needed to do more than just not drink - otherwise I was a drinker who didn't drink anymore, which is pretty much a recipe for frustration.

I not only stopped drinking, but I looked deep at the reasons why I started drinking in the first place, and tried to deal with those best I can. I drank to fill a void...I've been working to heal that void in my recovery.

I changed my life in many other ways besides not drinking - new priorities, new perspectives, and I have a sober support system in SR which I think is vital

You'll find a lot of support and ideas here Snakes

D
Old 06-13-2011, 03:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sobriety can be a roller coaster of emotions for a while. I substituted practicing gratitude every day for drinking all the time. Doing that sincerely and regularly took away my desire to drink and my underlying feelings of insecurity and negativity.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Snakes, if you want my advice, go to an AA.

I have some experience similiar to yours. I quit drinking on New Years Day several years ago, on my own with no support. The first month was a little challenging, then I got into a non-drinking routine and managed to stay sober for over 5 years. However, when life got a little rough, I got complacent and thought I could drink like a normal person because it had been so long.

Wrong. Not only did I drink, I had difficulty quitting again.

Now I go to AA and that has made a big difference.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sober time
Old 06-13-2011, 05:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for your responses.

I was thinking I could recover on my own. Like I said everything was going great and then all of a sudden ive become depressed like never before and temptations of drinking have come back. AA probably is my best option at this point and I need to find a way to get out of my "funk" without resorting to the booze.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Are these emotional rollercoasters normal in the recovery process? I'm lost and feel like I'm losing my mind, I just want to be happy go lucky again, not hell in a hand basket. Any ideas SR Community??!?!?
Oh for sure...emotional turmoil happened to me in early recovery. I didn't know what way was up or whatever. Then I started on a path of self-discovery and understanding. It was exactly what I needed to not only have some regulation of my moods but to manage my moods also.

I say develop and stick to a plan that will bring you a level attitude, peaceful direction in times of distress and confidence in knowing deeply that all can be handled with mindfulness and compassion.

Being just sober is good, being in control of ones mind and mood is...at least for me...better. maybe it would be better for you? or not.