Notices

Introduction

Old 06-13-2011, 02:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Introduction

Hello all,
I am 25 and I am in a desperate need of change in my life. I have dabbled with drugs as a youth, but my addiction is alcohol. Personally, I want to change my life for the best. I have tried to quit drinking and made it 67 hours, but I got really sick. I was a binge drinker until about 23, I pretty much drank 300 days a year. Currently, I am about to be laid off. I have always worked, since I was 15. It helped me stay out of the serious zone. I will go to detox, since I still have insurance. I understand, with my girlfriends and family, I have been stupid. My drinking increased when I lost my GF, I loved her, but I was an addict. The weird part is, I was able to hide all my heavy drinking from most of my family and gf's. I know it is my downfall. I drink to deal with severe anxieties. Since I was young, I always had bad social anxieties. Well, to be short, I had kinda a rough life, worse than some and better than others. Should I go to to detox and AA? Will it help? I am looking for advice, since my father is messed up with alcohol and my mother is with a convict scam artist. Please help. I wish you all the best in life.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newlife25 View Post
Hello all,
I am 25 and I am in a desperate need of change in my life. I have dabbled with drugs as a youth, but my addiction is alcohol. Personally, I want to change my life for the best. I have tried to quit drinking and made it 67 hours, but I got really sick. I was a binge drinker until about 23, I pretty much drank 300 days a year. Currently, I am about to be laid off. I have always worked, since I was 15. It helped me stay out of the serious zone. I will go to detox, since I still have insurance. I understand, with my girlfriends and family, I have been stupid. My drinking increased when I lost my GF, I loved her, but I was an addict. The weird part is, I was able to hide all my heavy drinking from most of my family and gf's. I know it is my downfall. I drink to deal with severe anxieties. Since I was young, I always had bad social anxieties. Well, to be short, I had kinda a rough life, worse than some and better than others. Should I go to to detox and AA? Will it help? I am looking for advice, since my father is messed up with alcohol and my mother is with a convict scam artist. Please help. I wish you all the best in life.
I can see no one cares. Only if it effects you. I pour my heart out for nothing,
Old 06-13-2011, 03:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No, NL, I think it's just a quiet day. I think you are beginning to think about things rightly. If you think you have a problem with alcohol, you probably do. If you can't go to detox, go to AA.

You will find a lot of support on this list--but some of it happens by you reading others' posts. It won't be long before a lot of people have ideas for you.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Missy7 View Post
No, NL, I think it's just a quiet day. I think you are beginning to think about things rightly. If you think you have a problem with alcohol, you probably do. If you can't go to detox, go to AA.

You will find a lot of support on this list--but some of it happens by you reading others' posts. It won't be long before a lot of people have ideas for you.
Thank you, Missy7,

I really need a mentor, after I complete the program, I want to be sober.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi NewLife, it sounds to me like you're saying you lost your girlfriend due to alcholism? If so or if for other reasons you feel you need to stop drinking I definitely think you're in the right place. There are a lot of helpful people here who care. I encourage you to keep exploring. Good luck!
Old 06-13-2011, 04:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Missy7 View Post

Thanks missy,
Old 06-13-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pigtails View Post
Hi NewLife, it sounds to me like you're saying you lost your girlfriend due to alcholism? If so or if for other reasons you feel you need to stop drinking I definitely think you're in the right place. There are a lot of helpful people here who care. I encourage you to keep exploring. Good luck!
Pigtails, I will stick around be, I want to change.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Programmaddict

I'm loathe to offer advice but I'll let you know what works for me anytime you ask!
Old 06-13-2011, 04:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR, Newlife
Old 06-13-2011, 04:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR NewLife

Detox and AA has worked for a lot of the folks here...I think no matter what method or path you choose, you have to be prepared to make changes in your life beyond just not drinking

stick around and you'll find many other ideas here and a lot of support too - we really are a friendly caring bunch

D
Old 06-13-2011, 04:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Giving up drinking is the best thing I've ever done for myself. I wish you the best in your sober journey. If you try AA, go to several meetings before you decide if it's for you or not. Each meeting may be different from the next and some are better than others.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you found us and that you're seeking help.

This is a very caring community as you will find out if you stick around.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to sober recovery! You will find great support here!
Old 06-13-2011, 04:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome, stick around and keep reading on SR, that will help. There is nothing preventing you from going to an AA meeting today while you are deciding on detox. Talk to the people at AA and get come face to face support.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Newlife,
I wish I was ready to quit at your age as I suffer from anxiety as well and use alcohol to self medicate, but as you well know it only makes it worse.

Keep coming back as it does progress. Knowing from experience of having quit before for 5 years how wonderful sobriety is, I am kicking myself for thinking I could moderate, now back to square one but in worse shape after drinking again for 5 years.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome! I, too, struggle with SEVERE social anxiety. Honestly, it's a battle dealing with it now that I quit drinking, but it's still so much better than feeling like crap all the time and wondering what horrible things I did while drunk. I wish you the best! Keep posting!
Old 06-13-2011, 07:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome NewLife. No one here can really 'tell' you what to do. You need to make a decision on your own and stick with it. If you feel your life is unmanagable then yes, do something about it. Start with AA and go from there.
I did a 6 week rehab and absolutely loved it. It was awesome...and I learned alot of tools to keep me sober in the past few months. I have new thoughts, new ideas a new passion for life. But it has to come from within. Within yourself...no one can make you do anything. It has to be in your heart and you need to create your own path.
Wishing you peace and strength.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the support. You will hear from a lot on here, from now on. I am going to detox this week and plan to follow up with meetings. Thank you all!
Old 06-15-2011, 06:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome....:wave

It's always wise to consult your doctor about how best to de tox.
Yes..I do use Aa for my recovery and it' works great for me.
Please keep posting...many of us are winning over alcohol...Yes you can too....